Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info InXile consults academics to create Wasteland authenticity

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
(...) Do you seriously need to pay a scientist to design a better game than Bethesda?
Apparently, yeah. Look at Fallout 2. It was retarded when compared to Fallout 1 and while not as retarded as Fallout 3 there were fire Geckos, magicians and other shit. With scientists looking over inXile's employees shoulders such epic ideas are less likely to be implemented.

I am extremely butthurt about the existence of fantasy elements like fire breathing ants/geckos in a franchise with orcs, invisible orcs, zombies and mind control in it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Orcs?!

Oh wait it's Mastermind.

Pretty much. Big dumb muscular green brutes. But hey, call them supermutants and suddenly "it's different". :lol:

"I swear officer, I'm not a prostitute. I had no clue the item that penetrated my anus, vagina and throat repeatedly was in fact a male human phallus."

Codex hypocrisy never ends.

Arkadin

Arcane
If there is science at all I prefer it to be either decent science or SCIENCE!. The worst thing happens when a game tries to present something in a scientific manner and fails horribly at that. I recently played UFO:Aftermath and mutant design and autopsy results were plain stupid, exactly because it seemed that the devs tried to make it plausible but failed horribly.
This is something I was wondering about. Sometimes in fiction, people make a half-hearted attempt at making something "scientific"...and it just seems fucking retarded, and you wonder why they didn't just leave things open and unexplained. Wasteland doesn't explain everything, and it works fine. I wonder if making a modern game with more explicit graphical representation has made Fargo worried that a lot of stuff from Wasteland will just seem too lulzy, and at odds with the tone they're trying to set, and thus he's trying to find some way to "justify" wacky shit in their lore.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Pretty much. Big dumb muscular green brutes.

The-hulk-2003.jpg

Fucking Orcs man.

almondblight

Arcane
Also from that interview:
Alvarado: Deus Ex [Human Revolution] and Mass Effect did their homework. BioShock also gets points for crafting an interesting balance between stem cells and molecular biology.

Bioshock wut? Sea slug juice lets you shoot bugs from your arms? Thank god they crafted a balance between stem cells and molecular biology, otherwise that would have been retarded.

Upon further reflection, I doubt thwacke will impede the games ridiculousness quotient one bit.

Yeah, that comment's pretty stupid. The only other place where he actually mentions some specifics are when he saus they're helping the Wasteland team find out what kinds of animals would survive a nuclear attack. Oh, look what I found on Google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherno...dies_on_wildlife_status_in_the_Exclusion_Zone

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yeah, that comment's pretty stupid. The only other place where he actually mentions some specifics are when he saus they're helping the Wasteland team find out what kinds of animals would survive a nuclear attack. Oh, look what I found on Google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherno...dies_on_wildlife_status_in_the_Exclusion_Zone
You should start your own consulting business. There are a lot of people with googling disabilities out there.

"Tell us what you need and our team of experts will google it for you in no time!"

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Personally I'd be happy not to see any status reports and simply get a good game once it's done. Wasting time and effort for publicity at this point is just arousing an interest that is going to fizzle out again soon anyway.

Hearing a terse "we're making decent progress" statement is going to make me feel more at ease than some nebulous statement about scientists or some more concept art or a statement like "trust us, we got words! lots of words! plus emotionally engaging timmy / dog dynamics! awesome!!!".

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Haha. Oh Codex.

Nobody gives a fuck about such things in games.

Yeah, nobody gives a fuck. Except, y'know, you do.

The main quest is one of the game's biggest weaknesses. It doesn't make sense. The water contains radiation and thus isn't safe to drink. Maybe if people stopped playing with nuclear catapults and blowing up nuclear cars, the situation would improve… Anyway, even though it's relatively easy to purify radioactive water - see the quote above - top East Coast scientists, including your dad, have been trying to find a much more complex and unnecessary solution, known as Project Purity.

Sounds like Bethesda could've done with a scientific consultant!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

"The main quest is one of the game's biggest weaknesses. It doesn't make sense. The water contains radiation and thus isn't safe to drink. Maybe if people stopped playing with nuclear catapults and blowing up nuclear cars, the situation would improve… Anyway, even though it's relatively easy to purify radioactive water - see the quote above - top East Coast scientists, including your dad, have been trying to find a much more complex and unnecessary solution, known as Project Purity."

Yes, you need a scientific consultant to learn that drinking from abandoned, dirty toilets won't heal you.

We're talking about two different things here. What Bethesa did was plain fucking stupid. Like "putting all that dumb shit in Fallout 2"-stupid. You don't need a consultant for it. You need a bit of common sense and I'm surprised that some people use it as an argument - "if we had science! on our side, fallout 2 and 3 would have been better games!" No. They wouldn't have.

What we're talking about, what that consultant is talking about in that interview, is something else: making the gameworld science-approved, which is a gimmick and already doesn't fit the Wasteland setting.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's still too early to tell how regular Obsidian's updates will be, though.
Way to stay positive, bro.

I'm not being negative, I'm stating a fact. The Eternity Kickstarter only recently ended. We don't know yet whether they will go dormant like Wasteland 2 did after that first "screenshot" or whether they will continue providing regular updates.

hiver

"The main quest is one of the game's biggest weaknesses. It doesn't make sense. The water contains radiation and thus isn't safe to drink. Maybe if people stopped playing with nuclear catapults and blowing up nuclear cars, the situation would improve… Anyway, even though it's relatively easy to purify radioactive water - see the quote above - top East Coast scientists, including your dad, have been trying to find a much more complex and unnecessary solution, known as Project Purity."

Yes, you need a scientific consultant to learn that drinking from abandoned, dirty toilets won't heal you.
A scientist cant cure bad sense of humor.

We're talking about two different things here.
This is the only statement that is actually true.

What Bethesa did was plain fucking stupid.
Ok, this one also.

I'm surprised that some people use it as an argument - "if we had science! on our side, fallout 2 and 3 would have been better games!" No. They wouldn't have.

Did anyone actually said that?

What we're talking about, what that consultant is talking about in that interview, is something else: making the gameworld science-approved,
Oh sure he does.

"
GamesBeat: How do you strike that balance between realism and fantasy and being scientifically accurate or plausible without inundating the player with minute details?

Alvarado: While some may think we are out to achieve “realism” in gaming fiction, we are actually out to help shape plausibility and logic of a fictional world."

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2778

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom