Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, Interplay newly in the making. Starting with about same games as previously too.

SniperHF

Arcane
Best possible scenario:

Brian Fargo, other semi-well off InXiler's keep the lights on in Cali so they can have a cool office to woo "investors" and do Fig crap.

Mass of Grunts in NO Studio and remote.

But it's probably :decline:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So you're a lawyer in NO? Man, you must have some stories to tell.

And if he tells any of them, we'll find pieces of his body stuffed into a truck stop toilet two weeks later.

Man, I need to visit NO one of these days.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Not really. It's 2015 not 1960. New Orleans today is a pretty standard American city.

What may seem banal and boring to an American (156 murders and 1,495 assaults per year? Pfft!) still offers a morbid fascination for sheltered European minds.

Fairfax

Arcane
Is there a codex thread for the new figstarter project, btw? Should be amusing, at least. :lol:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The forums Stasi want all fig discussion to be concentrated in one convenient, easily supervised location: here. Thus, an RPG funding campaign is now being discussed in General Gaming :argh:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What may seem banal and boring to an American (156 murders and 1,495 assaults per year? Pfft!) still offers a morbid fascination for sheltered European minds.
Is that this year's statistics for New Orleans? Back in the mid 90's it hit 450 or so one year. Around half of it is drug trade related.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/two-paths-through-the-wasteland-brian-fargo-on-wasteland-2-and-fallout-4/

InXile’s focus has been primarily on the Wasteland 2 Director's Cut, and it's also elbows-deep in Torment: Tides of Numenera. And there are "other production plans that we'll be announcing soon that I think people will find very interesting," he said. The California-based studio just recently announced its first expansion, a satellite office in New Orleans expected to grow to 50 people.

"They'd shoot me if I start talking about other things," Fargo said. "But I will soon. It's never dull around here, I'll tell you that."

This needs a news post btw. Chop-chop, Infinitron!

What is this, the inXile Codex? If they announce what they're going to do at this new studio, what RPG they're going to make there, then I'll post.

ArchAngel

Arcane
California is turning into a desert. So let's move to a city that's one hurricane away from vanishing into the Gulf.

We don't know what the new studio will be working on so far, right?
I am sure it will be Van Buren with MCA.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As much as I would LOVE either Obsidian or even InXile to do a TURN-BASED Isometric like Fallout™ (obviously with Bethesda's permission) that doesn't make any sense for InXile to do it, because making TWO post-apocalyptic games (competing products) is usually not a wise business decision.

It would be nice to get our damn Fallout™ game back, instead of that shitty ACKSUN! game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
inXile New Orleans will work on BT4 - confirmed? http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2015/10/inxile_to_open_oak_street_offi.html

On a recent weekday, Matt Findley walked down Oak Street, had a friendly chat with four strangers, stopped by a coffee shop and a bar, and ducked into More Fun Comics to peruse. That was when it hit him. This was exactly the right place to develop video games.

"The street had everything that it takes to run a video game company," said Findley, president of inXile, a video game developer based in Newport Beach, Calif.

Findley joined inXile founder Brian Fargo and a host of economic development officials Wednesday afternoon (Oct. 21) to announce the company would open its newest development studio in newly renovated office space at the corner of Oak and Dublin streets later this year. The studio will house 50 developers each earning about $75,000 per year.

Economic development officials lauded the opening as another sign New Orleans is gaining traction as national tech hub.

Fargo, who founded inXile in 2002, said a Louisiana expansion was not part of the game plan until state economic development officials visited him earlier this year. The state's lucrative tax credit program caught his attention. The creative culture in New Orleans sealed the deal.

Fargo and Findley started seriously looking into a move in July. By September, plans for the move were in place.

"I think that if you're going to do something you do it," Fargo said. "So we did it."

The space on Oak Street will house developers who will work on new projects, including a successor to "The Bard's Tale" trilogy, a classic fantasy role playing game.

Findley, who is moving from California to New Orleans and will oversee the new office, said workers will start arriving from the company's Newport Beach, Calif. headquarters over the next few weeks to establish the first satellite location of inXile. The company plans to scale up to 50 employees in New Orleans over the coming five years.

The 3,900-square-foot office at 8207 Oak St. is still undergoing renovations and should be ready by December, he said. The Wednesday news conference was held in the unfinished space, the windows thrown open to a sunny and mild October afternoon.

Michael Hecht, CEO of Greater New Orleans Inc., one of the organizations involved in attracting inXile, called the new studio a "match made in video game heaven."

Hecht said New Orleans continues to emerge as a tech destination. He pointed to a line up of recent wins for the city, including new studios for game developers High Voltage Software and Gameloft as well as a GE technology center, which will transition to developing software for the company's energy and water segments this year.

Hecht said none of those deals would have been possible without the state's tax credit for digital media and software development. The state offers credits up to 25 percent on qualified in-state payroll expenses and up to 18 percent on certain in-state production costs.

Public scrutiny over state tax credit programs reached a new height this year as the state faced a budget deficit. Hecht urged lawmakers and the public to take a closer look at the digital media incentives. "This actually works," he said.

Quentin Messer, president and CEO of the New Orleans Business Alliance, highlighted inXile's decision to locate away from downtown and the Central Business District, where most of the city's traditional office space is located.

"It shows that what is happening here in New Orleans is parish-wide, in every neighborhood," Messer said.

Findley said inXile looked at traditional downtown office space on its first visits to New Orleans. He said he found the whole process "to be soul sucking."

Fargo chimed in, noting the development company's Newport Beach studio is a walk away from the beach, "with surf boards and chainsaws hanging from the ceiling." Oak Street had the right vibe for their company.

Both Findley and Fargo said they were concerned at first that few of their developers would be willing to leave California for New Orleans. They were surprised when about a dozen expressed interest in making the move.

Now, Findley said the company has to get to work readying its office space, which will feature long tables for open desk space, a corner full of video game consoles, a "kegerator," and a pool table.

Findley said a few inXile developers will be working from the Uptown home he is renting during the transition. He is looking forward to selling his home in California and settling into a place in New Orleans.

Findley said inXile will be posting hiring announcements for the new office to its website Wednesday night. He encouraged applicants to start sending in resumes.

"There are jobs here in New Orleans. Come and get them," he said.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why would Louisiana approach inXile of all companies :?

Zeriel

Arcane
Maybe Fargo wants to move to Louisiana and eat BBQ all day.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Who knows, maybe one of the officials was a backer and knew about them.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Pfft, I see no New Orleans listings on their site yet. Where's muh job?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom