Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

V_K

Arcane
Not sure about its authenticity or how much tier 1 means, but I can see how MS is investing on inXile (the new offices, hiring AAA developers). It seems Fargo's business acumen seems also work in the jungle that is MS.

In real life any stat that isn't family fortune is a dumb stat.
FTFY

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not sure about its authenticity or how much tier 1 means, but I can see how MS is investing on inXile (the new offices, hiring AAA developers). It seems Fargo's business acumen seems also work in the jungle that is MS.

In real life any stat that isn't charisma is a dumb stat.
Good thing that i was born with 18s in everything and don't have to ponder such universal secrets.

V_K

Arcane
How come? Isn't that only on their platform?
Yes, but cross-platform capabilities are a significant factor nowadays. Allegedly, even the mere possibility of Apple kicking UE out of iOS/macOS was enough for some devs to drop the engine. And if Apple is allowed to act on that threat, the number of game devs choosing UE will plummet into the ground.
I mean, imagine you have engine A, which supports all major platforms, and engine B, which, well, doesn't. All other things being equal, the choice is a no-brainer.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Allegedly, even the mere possibility of Apple kicking UE out of iOS/macOS was enough for some devs to drop the engine.
No.

And if Apple is allowed to act on that threat,
Isn't allowed by the court already.

engine A, which supports all major platforms, and engine B, which, well, doesn't. All other things being equal, the choice is a no-brainer.
Other things aren't "equal", so it's never a no-brainer.

FTFY

Usually would agree with this sentiment, but in this case I don't think Fargo can impress Microsoft with money. It's like a exception that proves a rule.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Wow yeah, you weren't kidding about shoebox. Statement retracted!
I don't think that was their exact building (look close and you can see "China Kitchen" over the door) but this is the strip mall where they were located ca. 2012.

i2XFgMu.jpg

Here it is on Google Maps if you want to look around. Check out Jack's Surfboards!
Muh,the building doesn't matter,the important part is what you fill it up with.
I rate this post “Bulgarian”.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I have to wonder what type of game are they going to make now?

Feargus always wanted his own Skyrim, RPG be damned. So the Avowed thing is understandable.

But Fargo was always interested in actual RPGs. So what's he gonna do with a big budget? You can't make big budget isometric RPGs now, they don't sell that much. First person RPG then? Try to buy the Arcanum license?

Is this it for the little guys who like isometric, because of the Misrosoft money?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Roguey Brian Fargo finds an investor for Interplay in Chris Wells..

Wells Fargo is a bank. :makesyouthink: Any idea if Chris was connected to the Wells family?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Roguey i don’t follow your logic. Wouldn’t a person with historical familial connections to your historic familial business be an ideal investor from the perspective of maximum persuasion favoring investment?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey i don’t follow your logic. Wouldn’t a person with historical familial connections to your historic familial business be an ideal investor from the perspective of maximum persuasion favoring investment?
I guess..?

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I didn't realize (or I guess, care) that the Numenera team still existed, they seemed like a jolly collection of wordy idiots with no understanding of the source material, even the jolly idiots who worked on the first one.

Chad Moore doesn't have a great track record, but hopefully it pans out. Jason Anderson feels like the abandoned black sheep of the Cain-Boyarsky triad.

V_K

Arcane

FTFY

Usually would agree with this sentiment, but in this case I don't think Fargo can impress Microsoft with money. It's like a exception that proves a rule.
It's not just about money, it's also about connections made for you.

4too

Arcane
Maybe, Maybe

From pictures of two offices shown above.

If leasing the properties, old building vs new build out, maybe cost effective moving to better / less crowded electric and plumbing.

Maybe tired of being down wind of commercial / industrial fat fryers.

BUT, if driving in southern Cali can be briefly factored out, never forget one universal problem of the automobile.

Whether modern or post modern ...

Maybe, they moved to the high rise office because it was a hassle finding parking around the 20 year old strip space.

4too

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Did I just witness the first Codexer complaining about lack of faithfulness to Numenera setting canon?

That wasn't my intent, but since we're on the subject, if I recall dev talk about it, even Monte Cook was like, "can you do your game shit over in a section of Numenera no one cares about, including me?" Could be wrong.

I was mostly talking about how different Numenera was from the game it was supposed to be a spiritual successor to - well, beyond word count, that is.

Also full disclosure, based on the Codex interview with him, Colin McComb/McCuck seems like a defensive douchebag so anything involving him reeks faintly of shit. Weren't he and the other inXile castoff Gavin Jerkins-Fyre working with Larian? If so, would have loved to know how that went or if Larian began to notice the stink as well.

Xeon

Augur
I think someone said McComb left Larian after a few months or something.

Sea and Brother None still work at InXile, right? If that's the case I hope they find a lot of success and hope InXile get bigger and bigger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom