Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
I wonder if Fallout 1 and 2 is remake into new engine.

Will it be a single or party turn based game like Wasteland series?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They'll probably keep Wasteland as a turn-based rpg-strategy hybrid.
Yeah, because those sell so well compared to Fallout #551 and looks great on the annual corporate report.
the idea behind gamepass is to have as many different genres covered as possible. Fans of Bethesda-style games will have Starfield, Fallout 5, TES6, Avowed, The outer worlds 2, etc.
So? The idea behind Microsoft is profit maximization. A company being bought by a supercorp has never resulted in anything good in the history of gaming. Not even once.
so?
I'm saying that they already have "open world action rpg" niche covered by multiple titles, there is no point in turning an existing IP into another open world action rpg when they could use it to lure turn-based crowd.
And I'm saying that they won't turn Wasteland into an open-world rpg, they'll just not do anything with it. Profit-maximization isn't about filling niches, it's about getting a maximum return on their investment. You'll see another Fallout Tactics before you'll see another Wasteland, unless they somehow manage to convince Microsoft that Wasteland is the New Shit™ and that Fallout 4 and Falllout 76 tarnished the Fallout brand too much for it to be become weaker than Wasteland, in which case, yes, you'll get to see a Wasteland hiking simulator, too.
So? The idea behind Microsoft is profit maximization. A company being bought by a supercorp has never resulted in anything good in the history of gaming. Not even once.
Gotta feed that Gamepass monthly subscription.
Yeah, and that's done by appealing to the lowest common denominator. It's about meeting a threshold, nothing else.
I wonder if Fallout 1 and 2 is remake into new engine.

Will it be a single or party turn based game like Wasteland series?
It will be shit, with Tandi as a painted tranny trying to escape the patriarchy.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
You say that and yet a small budget and limited development game that will never amount anything like Grounded have been released by Obsidian to Gamepass.

The assumption that all game must be maximized for profit is not applicable in here while game like Gear Tactic is exist something i never thought it possible from Microsoft to allow such thing.

Wunderbar

Arcane
They'll probably keep Wasteland as a turn-based rpg-strategy hybrid.
Yeah, because those sell so well compared to Fallout #551 and looks great on the annual corporate report.
the idea behind gamepass is to have as many different genres covered as possible. Fans of Bethesda-style games will have Starfield, Fallout 5, TES6, Avowed, The outer worlds 2, etc.
so?
I'm saying that they already have "open world action rpg" niche covered by multiple titles, there is no point in turning an existing IP into another open world action rpg when they could use it to lure turn-based crowd.
And I'm saying that they won't turn Wasteland into an open-world rpg, they'll just not do anything with it. Profit-maximization isn't about filling niches, it's about getting a maximum return on their investment. You'll see another Fallout Tactics before you'll see another Wasteland, unless they somehow manage to convince Microsoft that Wasteland is the New Shit™ and that Fallout 4 and Falllout 76 tarnished the Fallout brand too much for it to be become weaker than Wasteland, in which case, yes, you'll get to see a Wasteland hiking simulator, too.
profit maximization? for Microsoft? They want to impose their services, they want as many people on gamepass as possible.

"Microsoft presents... a bethesda softworks game... Fallout tactics, a turn-based isometrical rpg!" cue million dislikes on youtube trailer. Bethesda franchises are expected to be bethesda-type games and no one cares about odd spinoffs. Wasteland, on the other hand, is a B-tier franchise, which means it is also an almost free opportunity to test whether turn-based/strategy RPG crowd can be enticed or not.

Hell, it won't even surprise me if they greenlight isometrical PoE3 just to lure sailor woedica.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Luckmann looks like you see no difference between current day microsoft and old cutthroats activision, EA, etc. Ignoring B-tier franchises, closing studios, maximizing profits - that's a yesterday strategy, nowadays it's all about selling you a service.

MS can pour resources into Bethesda and ignore Inxile while getting 1 000 000 new subscribers, or they can pour resources into both Bethesda and inxile to get 1 100 000 new subscribers. You think that MS won't bother for such a small number? Why does Netflix fund Adam Sandler comedies when they can just fund a dozen of comic books films instead?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You say that and yet a small budget and limited development game that will never amount anything like Grounded have been released by Obsidian to Gamepass.
"Profit maximization" and "never try anything new ever" aren't synonymous, and I have no idea why you'd think so.
The assumption that all game must be maximized for profit is not applicable in here [...]
It never ceases to amaze me that people like you just keep falling for the corporate line over and over and over again. It's the exact same story, with the exact same type of mouth-breathers regurgitating the same tired spiel again and again and again ad nauseam. It was the same story when EA acquired Westwood, Bullfrog, Origin, Maxis, or Bioware. It was the same story when Microsoft acquired Lionhead. It was the same story when Activision acquired Blizzard. I mean, they totally promised, right? They wrote an article about how they're the perfect fit, and it's just so funny that that always happens after an acquisition. They weren't a perfect fit before, but just now, after the acquisition, the CEO of the company just realized that we were basically made for acquisition! Who would've thought?!?! You people never learn, you just bleet about how this time it will somehow be different because <corporation> told you so.

It's all so tiresome.
profit maximization? for Microsoft?
Yes! Believe it or not! Microsoft! Profit maximization! I know, it's shocking to even imagine such a thing, amirite?! :o:o:o
They want to impose their services, they want as many people on gamepass as possible.
Well no shit. You know why? Can you take a guess? Can you even imagine it? Take a stab in the dark.
profit maximization

they want subscribers because subscribers give them money
Incomprehensible! :o:o:o:o:o
"Microsoft presents... a bethesda softworks game... Fallout tactics, a turn-based isometrical rpg!" cue million dislikes on youtube trailer. Bethesda franchises are expected to be bethesda-type games and no one cares about odd spinoffs. Wasteland, on the other hand, is a B-tier franchise, which means it is also an almost free opportunity to test whether turn-based/strategy RPG crowd can be enticed or not.
Game development is not free, especially on the AAA+ corporate market. Not even "almost".
Hell, it won't even surprise me if they greenlight isometrical PoE3 just to lure sailor woedica.
Pillars of Eternity 3 doesn't conflict thematically or aesthetically with any other existing IPs owned by the same corporation, and could be pushed through Gamepass for exposure, the major failure of Pillars of Eternity 2 in a commercial sense. Pillars of Eternity 3 is infinitely more likely than what was being discussed - albeit still rather remote.
Luckmann looks like you see no difference between current day microsoft and old cutthroats activision, EA, etc. Ignoring B-tier franchises, closing studios, maximizing profits - that's a yesterday strategy, nowadays it's all about selling you a service.
Holy shit, you are truly retarded, and couldn't even wait for a response before double-posting just to show just how retarded.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
As part of the discussion (stay butthurt, corporate cocksuckers and drones), I decided to check out the Xbawks/Microshit Gamepass site, and I must confess, I might be wrong, and they just might rate post-Fallout 4/76 lower than Wasteland after all:
image.png
:smug:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I detest this gamepass and service thing and i definitely don't expect anything inclined about this mess. I'm just pointing out their strategy of embracing different genres to cover more audience.

Pillars of Eternity 3 doesn't conflict thematically or aesthetically with any other existing IPs owned by the same corporation, and could be pushed through Gamepass for exposure, the major failure of Pillars of Eternity 2 in a commercial sense. Pillars of Eternity 3 is infinitely more likely than what was being discussed - albeit still rather remote.
I can say the same thing about Wasteland - it's different enough from Fallout to continue existing as long as inxile don't turn it into open world action rpg. I bet Obsidian are now scrambling to rewrite Avowed design doc to distance from TES.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Luckmann still not answering my question and assuming i'm just a sucker that keep falling a companies strategy something that i already know about.

As someone already pointed about, Microsoft just want to fill any kind genre for their gamepass no matter how small or big the game is. Obviously the quality of the game they are going pumped is gonna be average, whether it isometric turn based rpg or open world action rpg.

They just want to show the customer that gamepass library is big with many kind of games (in this case rpg genre) with just a fair amount of price which is big selling point in the eyes of customer.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Luckmann still not answering my question
You did not pose a question. (Edit: Wait, did you mean about a Fallout 1/2 remake being party-based on not? Fuck if I know. I'm a prophet, not a corporate spy.)
and assuming i'm just a sucker that keep falling a companies strategy something that i already know about.
...yes? You might want to give that sentence another go, though, just to make sure.
As someone already pointed about, Microsoft just want to fill any kind genre for their gamepass no matter how small or big the game is. Obviously the quality the game they are going to pumped is going to be average, whether it isometric turn based rpg or open world action rpg.

They just want to show the customer that gamepass library is big with many kind of games (in this case rpg genre) with just a fair amount of price which is big selling point in the eyes of customer.
If they want to tick boxes, they can tick boxes with just about anything, but more importantly than ticking boxes, they want to pull in as many people as possible, and they do this by appealing to the lowest common denominators and by milking the biggest names, same as ever.
I can say the same thing about Wasteland - it's different enough from Fallout to continue existing as long as inxile don't turn it into open world action rpg. I bet Obsidian are now scrambling to rewrite Avowed design doc to distance from TES.
Saying that Wasteland and Fallout do not have overlapping thematics and aesthetics is ridiculous, though, so while you could say the same thing, it should be laughed at. And for sure they could keep them separate in terms of mechanics and genre, but they have no incentive to do so, especially in an economic/corporate climate which is all about selling lifestyles. Franchises are no longer about the core product, it's about selling you the comics, conventions, and coffee cups that goes along with it.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Companies like EA think in terms of the next release. They are ready and willing to ruin the reputation of a franchise for a quick gain (pushing DA2 out of the door after 1 year of development) and cut the losses if it fails (no dlcs for Andromeda). It works financially but wastes fans' goodwill and destroys established IPs (no Mass Effect since 2017).

Microsoft seems to be playing a long game, hoping that in the end it will prove to be more profitable.

Last edited:

RepHope

Savant
Luckmann still not answering my question and assuming i'm just a sucker that keep falling a companies strategy something that i already know about.

As someone already pointed about, Microsoft just want to fill any kind genre for their gamepass no matter how small or big the game is. Obviously the quality of the game they are going pumped is gonna be average, whether it isometric turn based rpg or open world action rpg.

Gamepass, like Netflix, needs to have a wide variety of content, and it also needs to have new content regularly coming out in order to keep people subscribed. So yes smaller projects like Grounded and Sawyer’s game will still happen, to fill the gaps inbetween the larger games. It’s why Netflix will fund shit like the Irishman and other smaller projects as well and it’s why MS won’t force InXile or Obsidian to make Fallout game if they’d rather be doing something else. A constant source of new content whatever the form is more important to them. I mean fucking Halo is a bigger brand than anything Obsidian has done but they haven’t been tasked with making a Halo RPG just yet.

guestposting

Educated

Gamepass, like Netflix, needs to have a wide variety of content, and it also needs to have new content regularly coming out in order to keep people subscribed. So yes smaller projects like Grounded and Sawyer’s game will still happen, to fill the gaps inbetween the larger games. It’s why Netflix will fund shit like the Irishman and other smaller projects as well and it’s why MS won’t force InXile or Obsidian to make Fallout game if they’d rather be doing something else. A constant source of new content whatever the form is more important to them. I mean fucking Halo is a bigger brand than anything Obsidian has done but they haven’t been tasked with making a Halo RPG just yet.

This! The games as a bundled subscription service model has different incentives than the pushing individual titles model. They’ll have a lot of garbage that appeals to the lowest common denominator, but they’ll also pump out a lot of micro-targeted content to lure in niche audiences. Maybe most of that will suck, too, but if Netflix is any guide, occasionally they’ll publish something solid.

The senior suits at Microsoft are also convinced that the industry doesn’t have a great handle on what players actually want. Part of what they’re doing with these smaller gamepass oriented titles is just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Then they take their cue from Netflix analyzing viewership data from a hundred million people to try to engineer popular content.

I doubt this will end well from our perspective, but the “throw shit at the wall” phase could produce some decent stuff if only because there will be so much volume.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Companies like EA think in terms of the next release. They are ready and willing to ruin the reputation of a franchise for a quick gain (pushing DA2 out of the door after 1 year of development) and cut the losses if it fails (no dlcs for Andromeda). It works financially but wastes fans' goodwill and destroys established IPs (no Mass Effect since 2017).

It's pretty amazing how much EA's willing to do it - even if a title is profitable, it may not be profitable enough to make EA numbers to sustain it. Must be wonderful for the devs.

I'm actually not amazed, now that I think about it. I don't know if EA has ever tried to paint itself as "gamers and games first" company, but I haven't done research into their marketing bullshit over the years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Again, it's interesting how Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky never really mention Wasteland when they talk about the creation of Fallout, despite the obvious inspirations.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Again, it's interesting how Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky never really mention Wasteland when they talk about the creation of Fallout, despite the obvious inspirations.
The Outer Worlds is a straight up Isaac Asimov reference, and they didn't discuss that either (as far as I know).
I would think that when you pay homage to something, it's generally a sign of high brow to give the nod quietly rather than trumpet it across the web.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
The Outer Worlds is a straight up Isaac Asimov reference, and they didn't discuss that either (as far as I know).
I would think that when you pay homage to something, it's generally a sign of high brow to give the nod quietly rather than trumpet it across the web.

Considering that Tim and Leonard didn't leave Fargo's sphere of influence in a good way and Fargo sent investigators to go check Troika's code like a baby manchild throwing a tantrum, it's not surprising they don't hype or talk about Wasteland.

By the same token, I don't know how much they talk about GURPS, either, but GURPS must have had some influence.

Even Fargo's post is patting himself on the back - good for you, man! Way to go! Yeah!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is possible that they are talentless plagiarists,not say that they are tho. Still after their recent game.....it is hard to imagine that the same people made Arcanum and Vampire. Now that Mitsoda is jobless glove cuck,there is a chance of assembling voltron and making a new game. It would be interesting to see what they come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I generally agree with your statement,but i also feel sorry for azimov.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
It's a secret! And it's even listed as a secret! (edit: or "unannounced," I haven't gone to LinkedIn to verify)

I actually heard it here first from Roguey, I think.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom