Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Is Aerie from BG2 underage?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Which biological reality is adulthood? Let's distance ourselves from social definitions and only use scientific terminology.

Being able to reproduce via gametes.
And for the sake of argument, I'd say adulthood is when you finish puberty. How do we reconcile this?

we don't, facts do not need compromise. Bodily development is not strictly bound by sexual maturity and can differ from Individuals to individual which is exactly the reason we created social constructs on what Adulthood means in society. Humans understood that having 12-year old parents is not very productive, therefore the rules to contain this.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
People get worked up a bit over pixels & code. I haven't played this game, obviously, but I can't help but think in a magical world one could restore her wings and try to ease her trauma. On the adveturer side who just wants loot & xp; she's aboat anchor that gets in the way.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
And for the sake of argument, I'd say adulthood is when you finish puberty. How do we reconcile this?

we don't, facts do not need compromise. Bodily development is not strictly bound by sexual maturity and can differ from Individuals to individual which is exactly the reason we created social constructs on what Adulthood means in society. Humans understood that having 12-year old parents is not very productive, therefore the rules to contain this.
But that doesn't tell us anything. Why do you use this fact to say what an adult is and not another fact like end of puberty? Why is your fact the decisive one and not mine? And of course, the million dollar question: Why do we care whether Aerie is an adult or not?

Vatnik Wumao
Something being a social construct doesn't mean it isn't a fact or not important. Money is a social construct, but I'd say it's too factual in all our lives.
What is important is a matter of value judgements ergo the very definition of subjective (a.i. relying on the judgement of the subject deriving that ought from what is, with it being intersubjective in the case of social constructs). And a social construct is by its very nature nonfactual since it doesn't denote a thing in itself (e.g. banknotes and coins brought about through commodity production), but a state of affairs (e.g. the exchange value of the money commodity which isn't tied to neither the labor time nor the resources which served as input in its production process). A tangible material object is a fact regardless of whether it's employed as a commodity or not, the status of such an object as a commodity on the other hand is nonfactual since it is descriptive of a concept that doesn't exist outside of people's imaginations (hence it's akin to Schrodinger's cat - it's a commodity if someone acknowledges it as such, it's not if no one does).

FriendlyMerchant

My disabled wife can't be, this cute!

nmsnk8ku9wfh.png
Just another elf desperate for attention. The truly disgusting part of this "romance" is that its with a promiscuous elf shiksa who still whores herself out to the other party members. Yet another reason why romances should not be in video games.

The real question we need to ask is whether jaheira and viconia are dried up barren whores. I don't see them giving me a child.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Move this into retardo land already.

Aeire, is obviously the youngest, but viconia and jaheira should not be particularly old for elf.

The house DeVir fall in 1297 and coincide with the birth of Drizzt Do'urden. You don't know a lot about her before, but you could reasonably assume she was still rather young and not well known for surviving the fall of her house. Also the whole refusing to sacrifice a child buisness.

Baldur's gate start in 1368, so nearly 70 years later, which is not that much by elf standard.

Jaheira was a child during the family drama that happened in 1347, so still on the youngish side for half-elf. She's been married to khalid for 8 years, so was an adult in 1360.

Humanophage

Arcane
For kiddie fiddler purposes, the lore is irrelevant. What matters is what does a character imitate. If a character is an "ancient demon trapped in the body of an eight year old girl", then romancing that demon is romancing an eight year old girl. If an alien race of deep earth beings happens to have the same exact features as East Asians, romancing them is a manifestation of yellow fever.

That said, I'd say written romance is too abstract. Depicting sex with children in writing does not constitute an offence. However, I'd say it is degenerate to want such a romance, same as wanting e.g. a tranny romance.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
But that doesn't tell us anything. Why do you use this fact to say what an adult is and not another fact like end of puberty? Why is your fact the decisive one and not mine? And of course, the million dollar question: Why do we care whether Aerie is an adult or not?

That tells us everything, words have meaning and reality has meaning, "everything is relative" is just not a valid position to have, it disproves itself.
I do not care if Aerie is an adult, I just saw your message and found your position strange. I have not answered the question about Aerie, I do not care, fictional characters are not real and at best count as adult because the creator does tell is the person is adult.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

That tells us everything, words have meaning and reality has meaning, "everything is relative" is just not a valid position to have, it disproves itself.
I do not care if Aerie is an adult, I just saw your message and found your position strange. I have not answered the question about Aerie, I do not care, fictional characters are not real and at best count as adult because the creator does tell is the person is adult.
It really isn't a strange position because which facts we use to shape our understanding of the world and our worldviews is decisive. Pure facts also don't tell us which facts we actually care about when structuring our societies, in this case what we consider adulthood. You can't seem to be able to explain to me why one fact is more important than another in this case and that is what tells us everything.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Females have a certain number of eggs, and drop one every month. For humans, that's between 15 and 50, lets say. After that, no eggs left, no pregnancies possible.
But elves live many thousands of years. Obviously they don't carry hundreds of times more eggs, because these are actual physical things, with mass and volume, and they won't fit inside an elf. So elven women must produce their eggs on the fly, rather than having a set amount. But this means that elves must suffer from egg cancer. Things that the body can generate/regenerate over time all are prone to cancers.
How things actually should be, is that elves have a fertility window comparable to humans, and then live for thousands of years infertile. And therefore a 25 year old elf is prime breeding material, even if she is within the first 1% of her life. Its science.

PS: "Its magic" is very unautistic and doesn't fit the setting, fuck off.
wut....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Anyone who thinks Aerie is equal to an 8 year old human child is retartet. Elves are nit humans. They age and mature differently. Aerie us a mage/cleric with some levels. She is also likely to be older and physically, mentally, and emotionally more mature than the PC. And, while a low bar, she us more mature than the codexers crying about her more than 2 decades after BG2's release. Lmao

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Because with advance of society and medicine the mental development of child to adulthood is divorced from its physical development. The decision to implement ages of consent, minimum age to do anything is related to how society function now. It was normal for man and women to get married to procreate when they were in late teenage year or early 20 because at that point for most people, especially common folk, it's literally half of their life. Thus the society at that time will definitely put more social development when people are of young age. We dont even get to normally life more than 50 - 60 years before the mid 1900s.
That is a fallacy perpetuated by interpreting statistics wrong (or by not reading/supplying the source data). The average age in the middle ages was 30-40 because it was brought down a lot due to massive infantile deaths. If you got past the first 12-15 years of life, most people got to live past 50-60 years of age.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whether the romance with Aerie has a problem with age difference needs to be defined by the Avariel.
In the Aerie romance ending, you find her parents and they approve of the relationship, zero problems:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Looking up the Avariel Elves in the Complete Book of Elves (AD&D 2E) they live to a max of 300 years before leaving (page 120). Following the chart on page 37, the closest race in age is the Aquatic. Their age bands are:

Childhood: 1-59
Adolescence: 60-99
Adulthood: 100-159
Middle Age: 160-219
Old Age: 220-299
Venerable Age: 300
Max Age: 300+3D100

Elves age at a much slower rate then humans. By going by this information, Aerie is between the ages of 60-99. Her writer is James Ohlen and has no history of noncery, so I'm of the opinion that Aerie is the equivalent of a 16-17 year old or 89-99 years old for an elf. Underage by modern standards, but still within the age of being able to marry. At least in the United States. All you need is written permission from the parents to marry someone that is 14-17 in most US states.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
A 60 year old elf is way more mature/adult than some 16 year old teenage human girl. That is as much experience as a 60 year old adult human.

Incorrect, since the way growing up is described it's identical to humans. It's just slower. That means they don't get to be more experienced/mature then humans due to increased longevity. Let's review the numbers shall we?

Human Childhood: 1-11
Avariel Childhood: 1-59

Avariel elves age 18.6% slower in this band. Even if said elf is 59 years old they still are the same as an 11 year old human. They will have the same level of experience as well. You're not going to leave a child be alone by themselves in this age bracket.

Human Adolescence: 12-17
Avariel Adolescence: 60-99

Avariel elves age is at 17.17%-20% slower than humans of the same band. Again you wouldn't let a a 60 year old elf adventure in the wild just like you wouldn't let a 12 year old human child. The closer to adulthood is when they earn more and more freedom.

As one can see, that elvish physical bodies age at a much slower rate compared to humans. Sure, they may live longer, but the equivalent age is also longer. 1 year to a 1 year old human is 1 year, but to an elf it's 1 year 4.8 months.

Thus, your entire premise is false due to the longer aging process in elves to reach the equivalent human stage of development.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You are an idiot. Better go read some more about elves especially in the elf guidebook. A 60 year old elf is not the equivalent of a 16 year old human. Only ignorant retarts think do. FFS Go read the dark elf trilogy and see the bullshitvelves at these ages were capable of doing. Lmao

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom