Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

• Total voters
Codex Year of the Donut
this poll is proof that only 1/10th of codex opinions are worth listening to

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The moment they switched from isometric to first person they killed the atmosphere

Doesn't matter if it's FNV or FO4

The eerie desolate atmosphere (and soundtrack) was replaced by cowboy yabadabadoo shit and explosions

Even Tactics had a soul of Fallout, anything that came after didn't

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Fallout 1 > Fallout 2 > Fallout Tactics >>>>>>>>>>> FNV > Fallout 4 > Fallout 3

curiously the former three qualify as RPGs, the latter three do not

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
The eerie desolate atmosphere (and soundtrack) was replaced by cowboy yabadabadoo shit and explosions
Only the first Fallout felt eerie and desolate. Fallout 2 was bonkers, and FNV captured that spirit well imo

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Never felt FNV felt desolate tbh... more like abandoned, vast, and heavily under populated :lol: Trekking through the desert with with Mr. New Vegas and Big Iron on the radio, killing over sized critters and the occasional legion patrol, pretty chill. In F2 you're whoring yourself out to buy out a middle aged dude out of slavery and accidentally getting married to the same sex. Yeah, FNV feels more somber than 2, even with all the cowboy yabadabadoo shit ;)

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't think New Vegas' atmosphere is fitting for a Fallout game.
It's not that the game's atmosphere iisn't the best of all Fallout games post-Fallout. It's just that the bar is terribly low for all Fallout games post-Fallout.

And frankly the gameplay itself is dogshit. It's not a good RPG, most of what makes it enjoyable as one as to do with dialogue and dialogue checks... It's not a good shooter, and Doom and Duke Nukem 3D have shown me in spades what it takes to be a good one. It's setting feels entirely unconvincing, not because of the "lore", but because of how the gameplay unfolds. A harsh contrast with Ashes: Afterglow. It isn't even a good walking simulator because it's an eyesore and the movement is clunky.

Overall I'd say New Vegas is only good as a case study for game developers. Check out what the game did well (which is just about the factions and the worldbuilding, but only on a grandscale), ignore everything gameplay related because there's nothing to salvage. FFS you don't even need chems, they absolutely suck compared to what they were in classic Fallout.

Also, New Vegas suffers from how samey all locations feel. It's PREPOSTEROUS that Ashes: Afterglow has so much more varied locations.

Lemming42

Arcane
The atmosphere is good, it feels a bit more in line with Fallout 1 than Fallout 2 does, IMO. The only real problem with the atmosphere and setting is that it leans way too far into the 1940s/1950s theme, which I suppose it largely inherited from Fallout 3, but I can believe that the city of Vegas in-universe is a tacky shithole which pitifully held onto a lot of sad, outdated cultural iconography well into the 2070s. That might be kind of the point anyway - House is desperately attached to replicating the past, and has gone as far as to create an android "Mr New Vegas" to play songs mainly from the 50s. The city hangs onto a perceived golden age (which, in reality, was shit) and tries to replicate it for wealthy tourists, which works well with Fallout's typical anti-nostalgia/letting go of the past themes.

Tonally it's like a middle ground between Fo1 and Fo2. I think the only real problem with the tone is that the characters you meet tend to be very boring, unmemorable and thinly-sketched, with bland dialogue which isn't helped by every voice actor clearly not giving a shit about the project (except maybe Laura Bailey). There was a mod in development that was assembling a better cast of voice actors to re-record lines for key characters, but I'd honestly like to see someone with more talent than Obsidian re-write most of the game's dialogue.

laclongquan

Arcane
There's an FO4 bullet time mod that tries to integrate it into the game better than just "free turbo that costs AP" - the slowdown amount is based on your PE, VATS perks are reworked to provide their bonuses while in bullet time, and taking Turbo or the like increases the slowdown factor to maximum, better than PE 10 would give you.

There's probably an FNV one too, I haven't modded FNV in a while.
There are five bullet time mods, I think. I like using the earliest, which is a port of F3 mod. The other mods try to fancy-up the concept with various doodads but that's... unnecessary in my book.
After doing a full modding sessions, from hp to skill to equipment mods on hostiles, coupled with more spawn mods, there come a time when your own native skills are not enough for your character to deal with your creations, even full chem-up and vats. Thus you need, legitimately, to use bullet time. Get it?
Seems weird to me that folks would install mods to make enemies 50x tall, and then go "this is unplayable, now I need another mod to make the world 50x as big so they fit"
But that's none of my business
That's the beauty of F3/FNV game. Once you start playing, you cant help but try to mess with the game under the hood. So modding moddding modddddddddding until you mod too much.

You cant do that with other games.

Kainan

Learned
True NV is good when modded. But having to mod is a negative in my book. The stats were bad in vanilla, karma didn't do anything etc.

Duraframe300

Arcane
True NV is good when modded. But having to mod is a negative in my book. The stats were bad in vanilla, karma didn't do anything etc.
Karma was meant to not do anything. That was an intentional decision with the game focused on reputation.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
New Vegas has revolver that doesn't come with speed loader.
Every other Fallout game has revolvers with speed loaders.
That's enough to win me over. :positive:

Valdetiosi

Scholar
What consequence? Karma restricted companions? 3 guys coming to kill you?
What's the point of consequences if you can redeem yourself by giving 50 bottles of water to a bum or get it down by killing people?

laclongquan

Arcane
Do you know that if you did the Strictly Business quest, enslave the ex-slavers, to get in Paradise Falls you would get 3 Dogs berating you for being evil on GNR? Choice and consequence, biatches! I wont save 500 caps (and earn a bunch more) just so I get a public harangue. Never was I so glad to pay money and skip out of a quest.

The karma hit for each enslavement is neither here nor there since indeed, we can regain with ease.

Kainan

Learned
What consequence? Karma restricted companions? 3 guys coming to kill you?
What's the point of consequences if you can redeem yourself by giving 50 bottles of water to a bum or get it down by killing people?
Um...yes? At least it's something. Guys, we have to give credit where credit is due.
Do you know that if you did the Strictly Business quest, enslave the ex-slavers, to get in Paradise Falls you would get 3 Dogs berating you for being evil on GNR? Choice and consequence, biatches! I wont save 500 caps (and earn a bunch more) just so I get a public harangue. Never was I so glad to pay money and skip out of a quest.

The karma hit for each enslavement is neither here nor there since indeed, we can regain with ease.
That was a good quest. And I didn't know that about the radio since I killed 3 Dog which you can do in FO3.

Lemming42

Arcane
Does Karma/Reputation do anything at all in FO1 or FO2? The system seems to hint that each settlement is tracking your actions but as far as I remember literally nothing ever comes of it.

Fallout 3 does deserve a shoutout for spawning three guys to attack you if your Karma gets too high/low. It's shit but it is at least something. Same for Karma-locking the various companions.

New Vegas' Karma system is a joke - in addition to not doing anything anyway, it all goes to shit as soon as you walk too near Camp Mcarran. Shooting Fiends in the back from 50 meters away is apparently a highly moral act and you can become a saint just by butchering your way to the gates of the airport.

Codex Year of the Donut
Does Karma/Reputation do anything at all in FO1 or FO2? The system seems to hint that each settlement is tracking your actions but as far as I remember literally nothing ever comes of it.
probably going to get corrected but iirc, Fallout doesn't have karma, just reputation which gets turned into Karma in fallout 2 and reputation gets a new purpose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom