Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

• Total voters

Alphons

Cipher
Not that the DLCs are really worth playing, mind you.

Maybe Lonesome Road, but Old World Blues, Dead Money and Honest Hearts are objectively some of the best DLCs ever made.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Lonesome Road was rather flawed and I still wish it was 'chapter IV', taking place after the second battle for Hoover Dam which would influence which region Ulysses was going to send the missiles, but I rather liked the atmosphere of this location just how I liked the atmosphere of the locations of the other DLCs.

I feel that all DLCs with the exception of Dead Money could have done with more additional content and less fetch quests, and Lonesome Road with a more coherent Ulysses who isn't so obsessed about symbolism in his speeches.
I would not have had the Happy Trails caravan killed off in Zion, instead going to that hunting lodge after being chased by the White Legs, becoming a third/forth group in this scenario. The player would also run into prospectors and slavers who could be both helpful or a problem.

Alphons

Cipher
I'm actually surprised Obsidian after cutting the post end-game content, didn't decide to pull a "Broken Steel".

They had a limit of 10 000 voice lines for all 4 DLCs. Avellone talked about it on GDC in 2012 and how they pulled it off- for example making Christine mute or limiting DLC reactivity to just Veronica and Elijah' final words.

Pulling off a better Broken Steel would require majority if not more than what they had.
Mr New Vegas, generic characters, named characters and companions would need new lines for 4 major endings plus some extra ones for their different variations.

Edit: If anyone's interested and you have an hour to spare (56 minutes to be precise), here's a link to that GDC talk:
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016552/A-4-Hour-Story-in

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm actually surprised Obsidian after cutting the post end-game content, didn't decide to pull a "Broken Steel".

They had a limit of 10 000 voice lines for all 4 DLCs. Avellone talked about it on GDC in 2012 and how they pulled it off- for example making Christine mute or limiting DLC reactivity to just Veronica and Elijah' final words.

Pulling off a better Broken Steel would require majority if not more than what they had.
Mr New Vegas, generic characters, named characters and companions would need new lines for 4 major endings plus some extra ones for their different variations.

You don't owe Obsidian any excuses, you're the end consumer of what they make. If shit is unfinished and half-baked, that's on them. You can dig into their production/contractual limitations, but why - to make excuses for them? The content stands on its own, for good or bad.

All the fretting about FNV is like examining the joints of Ikea furniture. Sure, you may see a dovetail here and some glue there, but at the end of the day you're dissecting cheap particle board furniture - what's the point?

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
My main criticisms of New Vegas.

1) Every main faction is a bore except maybe House.
2) The facegen is bad and the characters aren't Mad Max enough.
3) The starting area is extremely stale.
4) The level design pinballs you too predictably upon creating a new game.
5) The visual guidemarker bullshit they
learned from Bethesda enhances the borefest by 1 trillion.
6) The Lulzy locations like the literal Amusement Park they have in early part of the game.
7) The level design isn't intriguing.
8) It feels lacking a singular overarching lesson and narrative.

Less IS More. Limitations are a Godsend depending on your era. New Vegas is an interesting spinoff but not a MAIN GAME if you have
any real standards. But I can see why fallout fans old and new are desperate enough to LARP like New Vegas is worth their time.
The alternative is depressing...

But today there are pretty good options. Atom RPG, Underrail, Wasteland 2+, Redaxium 1 & Redaxium 2 .

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think New Vegas would’ve been better if it hadn’t been as much of a shooter in it’s combat aspect, and if it had introduced more skill-/statbased object and environmental interactivity.

I would’ve preferred some form of active targetlock system with scaling to-hit-chances probably with some secondary elements (like ”tactical(tm)” pause or something) to what it is: practically a backpedal spray’n pray with a panick button.

laclongquan

Arcane
Bullet time mods are just sitting there. A full combo of bullet time plus Vats can make a halfway decent turnbased time.

Bullet time mods are the logical next step after you modding too much and enemies become tough tanky hitty meaty hordes of targets. A vat round just wont be possible to deal with them, even using doorway bottleneck or openfield sniping.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Every main faction is a bore except maybe House.
Based
The starting area is extremely stale.
Meh, it's comfy
The Lulzy locations like the literal Amusement Park they have in early part of the game.
???? Yeah, how come there exists rollercoasters, it's absurd.
11005104_web1_web_primm_040301.jpg

The level design isn't intriguing.
Good level design only benefits from good shooting. Though it's arguable, given Deus Ex exists.

It feels lacking a singular overarching lesson and narrative.
You need lessons from your video game?
You know they dropped this line at the very end of the game.
War Never Changes.

New Vegas is an interesting spinoff but not a MAIN GAME if you have
any real standards.
Isn't the standards of a sequel to continue from where another game left off? New Vegas brings back absent NCR into play from 2, which was originally a town called Shady Sands from 1. If anything Fallout 3 feels like a spin off since there isn't anything direct to continue from established characters or factions, save for rewriting them to fit for the new location.

laclongquan

Arcane
Bullet time mods are just sitting there.
Ahem
Turbo.png
Of fucking course it already exist. The earliest would be a port from F3 version, then the similar mods are expanding~
What I mean is that, for vanilla FNV level, you dont need bullet time unless you are making youtube video. But after doing a full modding sessions, from hp to skill to equipment mods on hostiles, coupled with more spawn mods, there come a time when your own native skills are not enough for your character to deal with your creations, even full chem-up and vats. Thus you need, legitimately, to use bullet time.
Get it?

laclongquan

Arcane
Turbo is duration chem. As in you must wait for duration to run out on its natural course. But bullet time mod allow for manual control, and tweak its setting: visual effect, time speed effect, etc... IT's much superior compare to Turbo~ In certain mods that change enb, its visual effect setting can even help you, gameplaywise.

Sure, it's free. But that's less important than you think: if you cant play with a container of thousand pounds of loots, or ten thousands of caps at fingertip, you are a noob whose opinion doesnt really worth listening~ Money should never be a problem in Fallout games.

Trithne

Erudite
There's an FO4 bullet time mod that tries to integrate it into the game better than just "free turbo that costs AP" - the slowdown amount is based on your PE, VATS perks are reworked to provide their bonuses while in bullet time, and taking Turbo or the like increases the slowdown factor to maximum, better than PE 10 would give you.

There's probably an FNV one too, I haven't modded FNV in a while.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After doing a full modding sessions, from hp to skill to equipment mods on hostiles, coupled with more spawn mods, there come a time when your own native skills are not enough for your character to deal with your creations, even full chem-up and vats. Thus you need, legitimately, to use bullet time. Get it?
Seems weird to me that folks would install mods to make enemies 50x tall, and then go "this is unplayable, now I need another mod to make the world 50x as big so they fit"
But that's none of my business

Kainan

Learned
There is no reason to create new thread so i ask here:
How big is fnv compared to f3?
I'm talking about map size and amount of content
How many hours you need to complete fnv assuming 100% map explored and all dlc completed?
https://howlongtobeat.com
I'd say this is pretty much correct. Vanilla FNV playthroughs are probably an extra 10% longer than FO3 (so say 50-55 hours for a playthrough up to level 30, compared to 45-50 for FO3) and the DLCs are all a little bit longer too. Not that the DLCs are really worth playing, mind you.

One thing to note is the amount of unique content. Fo3 is mostly wandering in metro tunnels shooting same enemies and being sent all across map after copy-pasted mcguffins. New Vegas has varied amount of quests and usually gradually introduces new areas with handful of tasks to catch the breath after long journey. NV rarely forces player to do dungeon dwelling and if it does, it gives plausible reason rather than "here is a satellite dish, pls collect", "here be vampires in this shithole, go talk/kill them", "your vault is in a cave protected by some orcs". It gets nauseating.

The map of New Vegas might be 10 % bigger/smaller/whatever but it definitely is more varieted. Fo3 is just metro tunnels, ruins and one big junkyard called "the wastes" with handful of interesting locations amid trash-content. I didn't really like travelling there.

EDIT: Fo4 does this better with different zones, flat terrain and clear road layout but then again it's all mostly destroyed offices, factories and whatnot. Navigating Fo3 is tiresome and can be compared to Skyrim where most people tried going across/climb up the highest mountain instead of walking around it, because the level designer decided to plop the village with the stairs to the top on the other side.
FO3 metro tunnels were great and a surprising idea from Bethesda.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It's kind of a troll question, as it has already been established long ago, that New Vegas is indeed a good fallout game.

Now, is it on par with the originals? Please, don't kid yourself, nothing is to be honest. Fallout 1 was an anomaly, it was the perfect cRPG, fallout 2 was more of the same, more fleshed out, but man fallout 1... fuck.

New Vegas was good, as good as you could possible make a fallout 3 I guess, without having the original team together and a good story behind it.
The story hook of the courier felt very nice, and akin to the waterchip of fallout 1 obviously, but yea

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
my first fallout was fallout 4, loved it, saw online people were saying it's not "a true rpg", I thought to myself, damn, imagine how awesome this fallout new vegas must be that everyone was praising. dropped the game after reaching novac.

That's how I feel about all obsidian games btw.

Lhynn

Arcane
12023.jpg

I think New Vegas would’ve been better if it hadn’t been as much of a shooter in it’s combat aspect, and if it had introduced more skill-/statbased object and environmental interactivity.

I would’ve preferred some form of active targetlock system with scaling to-hit-chances probably with some secondary elements (like ”tactical(tm)” pause or something) to what it is: practically a backpedal spray’n pray with a panick button.

7590.jpg

Bullet time mods are just sitting there. A full combo of bullet time plus Vats can make a halfway decent turnbased time.

Bullet time mods are the logical next step after you modding too much and enemies become tough tanky hitty meaty hordes of targets. A vat round just wont be possible to deal with them, even using doorway bottleneck or openfield sniping.

I am actually reading this in the voice of the talking heads. Almost as if Sulik and Hakunin were having a conversation.

Only in the codex men.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
my first fallout was fallout 4, loved it, saw online people were saying it's not "a true rpg", I thought to myself, damn, imagine how awesome this fallout new vegas must be that everyone was praising. dropped the game after reaching novac.

Ohhhh I just saw that you didn't want to buy Grimoire for 99 cents.

This makes sense now.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

Lay off the booze, Grunker. Your head ain't what it used to be.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Lay off the booze, Grunker. Your head ain't what it used to be.

I feel like I'm not in on the joke here

edit: oh lol, didn't see the avatar until now. A THEFT MOST HEINOUS

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
wait, I didn't post this.

edit: there, done, hope this one isn't 'taken'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom