Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

• Total voters

Hobo Elf

Arcane
New Vegas is an OK successor to Fallout 2 (but not FO1). While NV does pluck references and concepts from both old Fallout games, it follows more along the line of FO2 with its writing and setting. At the time it was an oasis in a desert for many RPG fans as there wasn't much else to play in 2010. You had New Vegas and.. Eschalon 2? I'm not sure if it's fair or not to review a game outside of its time context but the game was a big deal for many RPG fans who were starved for even an OK game and New Vegas was pretty good, certainly a huge improvement over the crappy Fallout 3. NV also set the bar for what DLC should be like imo. Everyone has their favorites and least favorites but I think it's a fair thing to say that overall they did a really good job with them trying different settings, tones and styles of gameplay. I replayed NV last week and yeah it doesn't quite have the same punch as it did but it's still a pretty nice game with a lot of cool content to offer. Unfortunately it suffers performance issues on modern machines (that can be fixed with mods, somewhat) and eventually started to crash so much that I just dropped my game although I was more-or-less done with the game by then. One of the significant things about NV for me is that it's the closest thing we have to an open world cowboy RPG. Maybe Weird West can scratch that itch now, too, I haven't played it, but the offerings for good wild west games is not a big one. Even less if you want some RPG to it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah, best chance to roleplay cowboy~ And shotgunfags in FNV~ And bigboomfags~ You dont play FNV if you dont ever launch MIRV's Tiny Tots, best in Cottonwood Cove or the Fort because there's largest amount of NPC standing in the open. 10+ nuclear mushrooms on the screen, shaking everything~ your graphic card should over-heat due to high demand.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Easy question to answer, is it a worthy Fallout game? Absolutely, I loaded some lore friendly mods and F:NV was my favorite of the ones I have played, I haven't played FO1&2 which I heard are the best in the series :cool:
lol @ "it's a worthy fallout game" and "I haven't played actual fallout games".

Fluent 2.0 it is

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I really wanted to like NV and just couldn't. One reason was the engine. I hate how it looks and handles, all that jank, crashing lots of times, and worst of all, it reminds me of the awful times had in FO3.
Secondly, and this may be related, the theme park feel that all those games have. Everything's in walking distance, as compared to the actually vast wastelands of FO1 where most places of interest required days of traveling. Simulated days that pass by quickly, but still, time passes (and you're on a timer), special encounters may ensue. Yeah the new Fallouts let me quicktravel but I know it's just 3 minutes of walking.
We'll not have this same sense of scale anymore in new Fallouts unless Bethesda makes one where they pull a Daggerfall (and that could still be awful).
And a petty side note, the setting wasn't that great imho. Mojave desert probably looks like a wasteland even without nuclear bombs, so it wasn't that interesting for a Fallout game.

I don't remember anything about ten penny or FO3 in general (except bezt charactor, Moira Brown!), isn't that where you blow up Megaton?

That's the problem with almost all first or third person open world games, the maps feel almost always too small. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is probably one of the few exceptions where the world feels at least somewhat realistically sized. There's also that the first person open world games gives the uncanny valley-feeling, but isometric/top-down etc games have the level of abstraction which staves that off.

Trashos

Arcane
*Some* of New Vegas' problems are directly connected to difficulty mode. The map feels infinitely larger if you are on hardest difficulty, stimpaks won't save you, companions may die, and you have to make decisions on where not to go and how fast to proceed, what bullets to have with you depending on enemy etc. If you are walking around roflstomping everything, the map is going to feel smaller.

Connected to this is also the maximum level cap (and pace of leveling up), which differs among vanilla (30 iirc?), full version with dlc (50 iirc?), and JSawyer mod (35). In full dlc version without JSawyer, you level up so fast that you don't have to make any serious decisions about the order of doing things, and you are always overpowered too. With JSawyer, at times you will be fighting bosses that have 25 levels on you, you have to think things through. HP bloat is a different experience among these modes as well.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Maybe the issue is on you then. New Vegas scale was perfect fit for an open world game, as one of the tedious things ever in open world games is knowing when they make the game world too large.
Fallout 1 was alright on its scale, 2 added a bit too more, but nothing that can't be handled. Bethesda's style of doing open world, as big as it is and has lot to explore, lets itself to a worn off mood after a while. The same can be applied to 4, as in both games I emerged level 10 and I only had cleared out corner of the world map from locations.
Is there lack of locations in New Vegas? Maybe, but it doesn't hinder the experience.

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's the best one.

/thread

Second best.

514XQCWW70L._AC_.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New Vegas is a great sequel to Fallout 2, but Fallout 2 is already a very different game tonally than Fallout 1.

There are three Fallout canons:

The original, which stands alone.

Fallout 2 -> New Vegas

Fallout 3 -> Fallout 4

(Tactics and BoS are spinoffs that I haven't played so I'm not counting them)

It makes sense because the people involved in 2 were also involved in NV, while 3 and 4 are both made by Bethesda.
But the original creators only made Fallout 1, then left the company to found Troika. Arcanum is much closer to Fallout's original design principles than Fallout 2 is.

Trashos

Arcane
I was already on hardest difficulty, so I don't see how this could alleviate any scale issues.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post, but I was talking about difficulty in the general sense, not just the difficulty setting.

If you are leveling up to 50 (which is what happens when you have the dlc but not any mods like JSawyer that limit the cap), opponents don't scale the same as when you are leveling up to 30 or 35. I am not saying that the scaling implemented is perfect, it is barely acceptable. But the feel of the HP bloat changes a lot depending on setup.
(And choosing the right weapon with the right ammo further affects the situation.)

Codex Year of the Donut
New Vegas is a great sequel to Fallout 2, but Fallout 2 is already a very different game tonally than Fallout 1.

There are three Fallout canons:

The original, which stands alone.

Fallout 2 -> New Vegas

Fallout 3 -> Fallout 4

(Tactics and BoS are spinoffs that I haven't played so I'm not counting them)

It makes sense because the people involved in 2 were also involved in NV, while 3 and 4 are both made by Bethesda.
But the original creators only made Fallout 1, then left the company to found Troika. Arcanum is much closer to Fallout's original design principles than Fallout 2 is.
Fallout -> Outerworlds

laclongquan

Arcane
better than every non-isometric fallout

yet many never played it
My solo unarmed run from a couple of years ago was going well, then my laptop broke and I could never finish that run...
bjtmc6c.jpg
No great loss~ Once you meet Super Mutants and Robots you would have quittan in great tears of nerdrage anyway.
The massive maps of Fallout Tactics doesnt treat unarmed/melee players well, let alone the tough carcasses of Super Mutants and Robots.

Risewild

Arbiter
No great loss~ Once you meet Super Mutants and Robots you would have quittan in great tears of nerdrage anyway.
The massive maps of Fallout Tactics doesnt treat unarmed/melee players well, let alone the tough carcasses of Super Mutants and Robots.
Not really.
I would find a way, I always do. The fun of playing that game like this is overcoming huge hardships. The harder they are, the more fun I have.
I play all my Fallout games as solo melee/unarmed 99% of the time. And Tactics is no exception.

Maybe next time I'll try playing with a Super Mutant or Robot character... Maybe a Dog or Deathclaw would also be interesting... Only race I'm not interested in playing Tactics with is Ghoul for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom