Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

• Total voters

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
GoG version runs perfectly for me, got it for free too

on Win 7 no less

It's a great game

Risewild

Arbiter
How do you make Tactics run on modern PC? It always doesn't like to launch for me.
The one I have installed is the GOG version. I have the disk version (I probably have more than one version of it in disk), but laptops these days don't have optical drives anymore, so I go with GOG.

Risewild

Arbiter
Carrying all the loot must have been hell, through.
The good thing about solo unarmed is that you don't need to spend a lot of money on equipment or other stuff. That's why in my screenshot up there, I'm using the Piston Fist as the main weapon and the Power Fist as a secondary one, to save ammo and travel lighter.

Mostly, just carry tons of chems and healing and some Power Fist ammo. Only pick up loot until you're almost encumbered and then just try to filter the loot you carry depending on its price per lbs (carry stuff that is worth more per weight).

Risewild

Arbiter
Also, how do you already have Enviromental Armor by Peoria? I thought you only started getting it during the mutant missions?
I can't be sure anymore, but I probably bought it from a trader in a special encounter.
I remember farming special encounters back then, I think I was looking for the brahmin armor encounter or something stupid like that.

laclongquan

Arcane

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout -> Outerworlds

Give a medal to this genius please
Are you denying that the great minds behind the game Fallout created Outerworlds?
No Avellone for the writing? then no, not all.
Avellone didn't work on Fallout.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_2_developers?so=search

Fallout 2's writing is worse than 1's lol.

Codex Year of the Donut
Fallout -> Outerworlds

Give a medal to this genius please
Are you denying that the great minds behind the game Fallout created Outerworlds?
No Avellone for the writing? then no, not all.
Avellone didn't work on Fallout.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_2_developers?so=search

Fallout 2's writing is worse than 1's lol.
Not something I'd attribute to the writers but the turnover rate. Too many people worked on it, and it shows.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It’s incredibly mixed, Vault 13 NPC dialogue outside of a few core is clearly written from the same fill-in-the-blank template. That’s an important location to half-ass.

Related but distinct from “writing” is tone. The tone of the writing is waaaaay off from F1, for the worse. F1’s dialogue is consistently tight and pulpy, to the point without being abrupt. It’s the reciprocal of modern cRPG writing.

jackofshadows

Magister
Don't forget about Broken Hills lib stuff. I thought Cotex hates lib stuff (muh muties, muh racism).

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Tactics is definitely my favorite but it's a quite different beast so I acknowledge not many people would see it my way.
It's less story, more arcadey, fun to just play, I guess.
But seriously the robots are insane. And I say that, not having had trouble with the super mutants and death claws before them.

laclongquan

Arcane
Don't forget about Broken Hills lib stuff. I thought Cotex hates lib stuff (muh muties, muh racism).
It's an important theme, irreplaceable in Fallout universe.

Since there's intelligent humanoids that are not humans, it's inevitable that the developers explore the idea of co-existence.

In Fallout New Vegas, it's all over, from Jacobstown to Freeside/Westside and some Ranger station.

In Fallout 3, curiously enough the most widespread land that has coexistence is Point Lookout with Swampfolks being a localized mutants. Most towns in DC is quite unmixed: Tenpenny Tower humans get replaced wholesale with ghouls, Underworld get no humans until Sydney get dealt with peaceably, Megaton get ONE ghoul. otherwise mosta most are pure towns.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Vault 13 NPC dialogue outside of a few core is clearly written from the same fill-in-the-blank template.
P3P09iXpMfM.jpg

Vault 13 has some weird dialogues. Every human and some other NPCs have unique lines to answer your questions. To answer them back, you have three responses - one very polite, one neutral and one rude. Every single convo in Vault 13 follows this pattern, like copy and pasted or made in a hurry

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I think about replaying FNV from time to time.
Instead I watch my friend repeatedly crash while playing it on Steam.
I get the same impact.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Interesting. So what did the mutants say why they were even killing random people, or is that not ever explained?

Also like how the NPC in the last picture is thankful they're finally free of the impure mutants, like he's a one dimensional villain who only had a problem with the mutants for being impure, and not because, iunno, they kill innocent people.

I personally would have said something like "Thank you so much, I'm glad these mutants can no longer slaughter us like cattle."

Codex Year of the Donut
Vault 13 NPC dialogue outside of a few core is clearly written from the same fill-in-the-blank template.
P3P09iXpMfM.jpg

Vault 13 has some weird dialogues. Every human and some other NPCs have unique lines to answer your questions. To answer them back, you have three responses - one very polite, one neutral and one rude. Every single convo in Vault 13 follows this pattern, like copy and pasted or made in a hurry
Fallout released October '97, Cain announced FO2 in December the same year. FO2 released October of '98. Someone might have better knowledge than me, but I don't think they started working on FO2 prior to FO's release because nobody at Interplay thought it was going to be a hit.
If anything, I'm surprised the game doesn't have more blatant rush jobs like that.

Still has far more quality content than games that take 4-5 years to make now with teams 3x as big.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
But what conflict? I thought they were already fully accepted community members with representation in law enforcement and the local industry and almost everyone loved them? Why was there need for bloodshed at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom