Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

• Total voters
If it's atmosphere, I felt less of a "shock" so to speak going from 1 to NV than 2 to NV. 2 is way too different, tone-wise, for reasons that many of you should know by now. The thing with Fallout is that you can only do it once. Fallout had a very special tone and atmosphere because the conditions that make the story they wanted to tell as interesting as possible could only exist for one game. There's not much you can do with the vaults beyond what they did in 1, and I feel that bringing them back every time has been a mistake in the franchise (partially solved by New Vegas, when you're a real Literally Who who just happened to get in the way of something bigger than everyone else). I appreciate 2's improvements over 1, but I can't pick it as a game that is as good or better than 1. Fallout 1 will always be the best Fallout for me.

That said, I think New Vegas got awfully close to what I wanted from a Fallout game. Its story ties in with 1 and 2's, directly continuating several of its threads, and you feel that, beyond the change in UI and all that jazz, this is part of the same world you were once living in. The factions make sense in the world of Fallout (if the super mutants are a problem for you here, it's because they always were), because they have that mix of "this is crazy, but in this world, I believe this would happen" that I saw in 1 and not so much in 2 (where it felt more like a theme park of tropes with no connection to anything else). I did felt compelled enough to do all the endings and do as many quests as I could, in fact, New Vegas is probably the only game where I've done so (I've never fought the Master because let's face it, FO1 has terrible combat). So yeah, if you ask me, both 1 and New Vegas are "the true Fallouts" for me.

From Tactics, what I remember the most is that the jump from normal enemies to Super Mutants and the like was a bit too much. There's one level where you meet them for the first time and you had no way of knowing that you practically need rocket launchers on everyone to stand a chance against them.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
tbh, everyone that claims Fallout 1&2's combat is terrible has just left the combat speed at its default value.

CHEMS

Scholar
tbh, everyone that claims Fallout 1&2's combat is terrible has just left the combat speed at its default value.
It has no variety... Just throw everything in AGI and the rest in PER and you wreck the game

Risewild

Arbiter
Let me see.

Combat in classic fallout games...

AP management, aimed shots, critical hits with several possible outcomes depending on where the target was hit, critical failures with several possible consequences, ammo types, different attack modes depending on the weapon (with different AP requirements and effects/damage), AC, DR, DT, various types of damage like Normal, Fire, Explosive, Electrical, Plasma, EMP (and all of them have their own DT and DR separate from each other when calculating damage), crippled limbs and blindness, weapon STR requirements with penalties depending on how much STR a character lack to use the weapon properly, attacks that actually depend on the character's skills/stats/perks vs enemy stats and whatever else I'm forgetting at the moment...

Yep, a boring and simple combat system.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Let me see.

AP management, aimed shots, critical hits with several possible outcomes depending on where the target was hit, critical failures with several possible consequences, ammo types, different attack modes depending on the weapon (with different AP requirements and effects/damage), AC, DR, DT, various types of damage like Normal, Fire, Explosive, Electrical, Plasma, EMP (and all of them have their own DT and DR separate from each other when calculating damage), crippled limbs and blindness, weapon STR requirements with penalties depending on how much STR a character lack to use the weapon properly, attacks that actually depend on the character's skills/stats/perks vs enemy stats and whatever else I'm forgetting at the moment...

A lot of this stuff doesn't matter. When's the last time you saw an enemy in Fallout 1 or 2 and thought "Oh shit, I better change to a weapon with a different damage type"? When's the last time you used an aimed shot against arms or legs to cripple someone? Hell, I'm pretty sure AP rounds aren't even coded properly and actually cause you to deal less damage. A game having lots of mechanics only matters if it pushes you to make use of them.

Codex Year of the Donut
Fallout's combat was relatively fresh, not the 297th iteration upon something that already existed. Comparing it to FNV isn't even remotely fair.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Absolutely not. It has nothing in common with Fallout aside from the post-apocalyptic setting.

It also has unbelievably awful gameplay with the worst inventory system I’ve ever seen in a game and horrid graphics.
This was my impression after 45 mins of playtime. Not going to touch it again.

Let me see.

A lot of this stuff doesn't matter. When's the last time you saw an enemy in Fallout 1 or 2 and thought "Oh shit, I better change to a weapon with a different damage type"? When's the last time you used an aimed shot against arms or legs to cripple someone? Hell, I'm pretty sure AP rounds aren't even coded properly and actually cause you to deal less damage. A game having lots of mechanics only matters if it pushes you to make use of them.
This is true. You don't even have the urge to manage your resources because they are readily available pretty much everywhere. The only time it becomes somewhat of an issue is when you get the car in 2, because it runs on energy weapon ammo. But even then, it's pretty marginal. There's other ways to go through the game. It's not really about having ammo options or stuff like that.

Risewild

Arbiter
Let me see.

I aim at the legs all the time since I play unarmed/melee and hate enemies running away when injured. I also aim at arms when enemies are using two-handed powerful weapons. I also try to blind certain enemies that are too tough to take out quickly, since when they are blind they just miss most of the time.
I also change to Pulse grenades when fighting robots, for example.
While AP does have bugs (although there are mods to fix that), there's still the JHP ammo and that one works fine and does make a difference against certain targets.

And you're missing one important thing here, you are focused on the PC vs enemies, you're missing that enemies can also use different types of damage and ammo, and there are times I go "shit, my defence against fire (for example) sucks" and have to scramble around or die. Also, crippled limbs or blindness inflicted on the PC is quite relevant during combat. There are also times when wearing a Tesla Armor will be more effective than wearing the strongest Power Armor. Etc.

If you don't make use of the stuff the game gives you, then that's on you. I do use most or all of the stuff depending on what character I play with. But I never liked making the same cookie-cutter characters that everyone does by following guides. What I like about RPGs is that they allow me to make whatever character types I want to play, I never min-max or do the "perfect" character, instead, I make characters that I have fun playing even if I struggle a bit.

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
Just realized I've actually never finished Honest Hearts...some new J.E. Sawyer content to check out :cool:

Also didnt finish Dead Money, but that's more Avellone I guess.

Surprisingly, I found the graphics hold up quite well.
Or have my eyes just turned numb after countless hours of Fallout 1 and Underrail...

Either way -> #OLDSCHOOL:positive:

Last edited:

9ted6

Educated
Better and worse than Fallout 3 in some ways, mostly better than Fallout 2, much better than Fallout 4 or 76, mostly worse than Fallout 1.

The game quickly loses steam once you leave Novac and by the time you hit the Strip it grinds to a halt. The DLC's largely unimpressive, consisting of mostly linear shooting corridors with minimal player agency or roleplaying opportunities, the writing is significantly better than Fallout 3 in most areas but also much more annoyingly real-world political and pre-woke, with a return of 2's overly persistent memey humor, mainly in but not limited to Old World Blues.

The worldspace feels significantly less detailed outside the general path of Goodsprings to Novac, and there's lots of oddly cramped or confined space, or areas of hugely wasted potential. While the main factions and their war of ideologies is very interesting in concept, it's halfbaked and rushed in the game, obvious signs of how limited the development was thanks to Bethesda. It keeps the themes and tone of Fallout 1 better than 2 or 3, and it's more memorable than both of them.

Gameplay-wise, it's Gamebryo. The AI is primitive and dumb, it's not very challenging even on Very Hard, the gameplay's fairly simple and eventually gets dull, especially if you use the absurdly OP companions, it's even buggier than Fallout 3 without mods, and all of it suffers from a very clear lack of development time. I feel like even more devtime, though, wouldn't have fixed the game's writing problems, given everything was divided between Femfreq Sawyer's obnoxious virtue signalling and post-FO1 Avellone's smug and bitter self-loathing.

I'm of the NMA grog mindset that there's Fallout 1, and then a bunch of loosely-connected spinoffs. New Vegas is probably the best of the spinoffs overall, but it has many glaring issues that mods can only patch over, not truly fix. Fallout set in Vegas is wasted potential that's superior to Bethesda's attempts, albeit Fallout 3 comes close to rivaling it, and superior to 2 and Tactics, but inferior to 1.

Lemming42

Arcane
Didn't really notice it until my most recent playthrough, but the game really does lose all sense of pace as soon as you leave Boulder City. There's nothing really guiding you from 188 to the Strip, just relatively empty space. Granted, you'll likely stumble upon Camp McCaran on the way, but otherwise it's just total deadweight.

Which is odd because a lot of the best content comes after that point, but there's hardly any structure to it, it's just shit that happens because you're a videogame protagonist and you keep walking up to people and asking for things to do. I'm never really sure what the Courier is doing or why after they find Benny. In Fallout 1 and 2 you have clear missions, at least, and in Fallout 3 you've typically got a clear reason to be going wherever you're going at the time. But the Courier decides to take over the Strip for no reason other than that they're controlled by the player, and the player wants to see more of the game.

The fact that you know Benny is at the Strip so early on doesn't help - Fo1, Fo2 and Fo3 all start with completely open main quests which give the player character an in-universe reason to go wandering around and getting into all kinds of random shit, but New Vegas essentially tells you to just get to the Strip, and as soon as you get there there's no logical reason for you to even be involved in the main plot anymore, unless you're deliberately roleplaying as a very specific type of person. In Fallout 1 you were presumably just unlucky to be chosen to find the Water Chip, in Fallout 2 you're presumably chosen for the quest because you're the Elder's son/daughter, in Fallout 3 you're looking for Dad and after that point the BoS is pretty openly just using you as free labour (and you can say as much to them), but in NV there's no reason for the Courier to be doing anything much after they locate Benny.

jackofshadows

Magister
in NV there's no reason for the Courier to be doing anything much after they locate Benny.
At that point to Courier should became clear that a major local conflict is coming very soon so picking a side makes sense, after all there's no option to entirely fuck off. And to the writer's credit, all main factions are translating various perks of working for them just right about now (to a lesser extent, Caesar perhaps but my memory is hazy here). This is all approximately a million times better than FO3's prot motivation imo.

Zanthia

Novice
Fo1, Fo2 and Fo3 all start with completely open main quests which give the player character an in-universe reason to go wandering around and getting into all kinds of random shit, but New Vegas essentially tells you to just get to the Strip
It leads you around the whole map to do so, so you get introduced to the world - I can't see it as different to FO1/2/3, which also let you be really single-minded about your goal if you want. You have plenty of reasons to explore before the Strip: helping people in the towns who are helping you; being cautious about Benny, who you've found out has already killed one of the people who helped to kill you; doubling back to get Cass; and then mechanically: getting enough caps or the King's favour or whatever so you can actually get in.

there's no logical reason for you to even be involved in the main plot anymore, unless you're deliberately roleplaying as a very specific type of person
Yeah, a Mojave Express courier who travels through dangerous lands delivering messages and items and picking them up. House has a reason to invite you in (Benny, whatever you have or haven't done with him at that point), everyone has a reason to take notice of that, and then I guess you could say "no, I'd rather go back to delivering packages", but why would you? The danger? You were already getting murdered, but at least you're getting paid better now. It's a very specific kind of character that would instead say "this is too scary, I'm going back to NCR". But it leaves you plenty of room to decide why your Courier does exactly what they do (and if you really like the 'because your dad/Overseer/Elder told you to', you can apply that to House)

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout New Vegas is the best retrofuturism Fallout as of yet~

Even if you admit F4 is better in whatever aspect (by your personal preference) it still fail in that regard because it drop retrofuturism~

Looking at F4! Just look at it! Damn thing look like a different Call of Duty or PUBG. Shiny weapons, shiny armors everywhere~ FFS!

As a retrofuturism gamer, F4 not even fail in that regard because it's not even being considered.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Didn't really notice it until my most recent playthrough, but the game really does lose all sense of pace as soon as you leave Boulder City. There's nothing really guiding you from 188 to the Strip, just relatively empty space. Granted, you'll likely stumble upon Camp McCaran on the way, but otherwise it's just total deadweight.

Which is odd because a lot of the best content comes after that point, but there's hardly any structure to it, it's just shit that happens because you're a videogame protagonist and you keep walking up to people and asking for things to do. I'm never really sure what the Courier is doing or why after they find Benny. In Fallout 1 and 2 you have clear missions, at least, and in Fallout 3 you've typically got a clear reason to be going wherever you're going at the time. But the Courier decides to take over the Strip for no reason other than that they're controlled by the player, and the player wants to see more of the game.

The fact that you know Benny is at the Strip so early on doesn't help - Fo1, Fo2 and Fo3 all start with completely open main quests which give the player character an in-universe reason to go wandering around and getting into all kinds of random shit, but New Vegas essentially tells you to just get to the Strip, and as soon as you get there there's no logical reason for you to even be involved in the main plot anymore, unless you're deliberately roleplaying as a very specific type of person. In Fallout 1 you were presumably just unlucky to be chosen to find the Water Chip, in Fallout 2 you're presumably chosen for the quest because you're the Elder's son/daughter, in Fallout 3 you're looking for Dad and after that point the BoS is pretty openly just using you as free labour (and you can say as much to them), but in NV there's no reason for the Courier to be doing anything much after they locate Benny.
The Courier lives in the Mojave. Why do you think he has no interest in the political future of the region? Is he a sub-80 IQ nigger?

Lemming42

Arcane
It leads you around the whole map to do so, so you get introduced to the world - I can't see it as different to FO1/2/3, which also let you be really single-minded about your goal if you want. You have plenty of reasons to explore before the Strip: helping people in the towns who are helping you; being cautious about Benny, who you've found out has already killed one of the people who helped to kill you; doubling back to get Cass; and then mechanically: getting enough caps or the King's favour or whatever so you can actually get in.
The way that it guides you through Primm, Nipton and Novac was criticised quite a bit back in the day, I seem to remember. In Fo1 you're directed to Shady Sands but beyond that you could wind up anywhere, in Fo2 you don't really have any goal other than Vic, who himself is a bit useless when you finally meet him. In Fallout 3 you've got no real information at all at the start and, while the game does offer one solution via the Moriarty-GNR-Rivet City thing, you can end up bypassing that entirely and finding Dad by accident, or skipping GNR and going straight to Rivet City (or you can even just listen to the radio, where you can overhear that Dad has gone to the Rivet City area).

New Vegas basically offers you two routes - do what everyone's telling you to do and circle through the south of the map, or just decide that you're going to walk directly to the big lights that you can see in the distance, in which case the game throws a bunch of beefgates up in a desperate attempt to get you to turn back.

Yeah, a Mojave Express courier who travels through dangerous lands delivering messages and items and picking them up. House has a reason to invite you in (Benny, whatever you have or haven't done with him at that point), everyone has a reason to take notice of that, and then I guess you could say "no, I'd rather go back to delivering packages", but why would you? The danger? You were already getting murdered, but at least you're getting paid better now. It's a very specific kind of character that would instead say "this is too scary, I'm going back to NCR". But it leaves you plenty of room to decide why your Courier does exactly what they do (and if you really like the 'because your dad/Overseer/Elder told you to', you can apply that to House)
This is fair, but it still feels more awkward than the other games to me - in Fallout 1 and 2 the lives of everyone you've ever known are directly under threat, which is a decent enough motivation for 95% of characters. In Fallout 3 looking for Dad is a decent enough motivation for the first half (and the game lets you play it as though you're finding him to interrogate him about his idiocy, rather than finding him simply because he's Dad), and the second half is much much shakier - not least because nothing that's happening by that point makes sense - but trying to start the purifier is just good sense, especially since you've been exiled from the vault by that point so you'll have to live next to the shitty irradiated river forever.

But the only real motivation the Courier has is being a mercenary. And your backstory indicates that you're that way inclined, sure, but it's also suggested that you're a wanderer who drifts around a lot, and suddenly becoming a major political figure just feels jarring to me. It's also far more responsibility than you get in the other games - Fallout 1 is entirely about saving the Vault, even when you're seeking Mariposa. Fallout 2 is entirely about saving the village, you only end up on the Oil Rig because the Encalve give you no choice. Fallout 3 is about trying to start the purifier (and, inexplicably, getting mad when the Enclave try to do just that), with the player being one part of a larger team. But New Vegas suddenly makes you into, probably, the single most important and influential person in the Mojave, in a way that has nothing really to do with your initial motivation to set out into the Wasteland, and relies on all the factions acting in pretty bizarre ways towards you.

At that point to Courier should became clear that a major local conflict is coming very soon so picking a side makes sense, after all there's no option to entirely fuck off. And to the writer's credit, all main factions are translating various perks of working for them just right about now (to a lesser extent, Caesar perhaps but my memory is hazy here). This is all approximately a million times better than FO3's prot motivation imo.
I dunno, I don't feel like anyone offers a really significant motivation to work for them, nor does it make a great deal of sense that anyone's trusting you with all this. So, like, presumably House's initial plan was to have Benny go to the Fort and activate the Platinum Chip. So Benny betrays him, and he... trusts the mailman instead? Someone who just walked into the room, who he knows nothing about, who his only connection to is that they were hired by some third party postal service?

Caesar trusting you after you've wiped out Nelson and killed two hundred Legionaries is absurd too - I get why they do it, it's because many players would find it annoying to be locked out of major content for their early-game decisions, but it still looks absurd. You killed Vulpes, retook Nelson and beheaded Dead Sea, laid waste to the Legion assassin teams sent by Caesar himself to kill you, restored Camp Forlorn Hope and ensured the Legion would never regain their foothold in the area... but you were seen leaving The Tops, so Caesar has ordered that you get a full pardon and he reckons you'll be well up to work for him now.

The NCR has the same problem, combined with the fact it never makes much sense that they're trusting a random mercenary - who was a wandering mailman three days earlier - with state secrets and high-level stuff that should be going to their top agents and officers. And of course, House is then shocked when you - someone he knows almost nothing about, and who never showed any inclination of wanting to work for him - blows up the Securitron base rather than doing as he says. Caesar is similarly agog when you, someone who has killed every Legionary you've ever met, starts shooting after he invites you into his personal headquarters for an unarmed one-on-one chat.

It's weird, it feels like everyone in the game just gets the memo that you're the protagonist as soon as you exit The Tops, and start treating you accordingly and giving you all their secrets and inviting you to meet their leaders, even though you're an anonymous postal worker who has no reason to be part of any of this and has given no indication that you're trustworthy.

The Courier lives in the Mojave. Why do you think he has no interest in the political future of the region? Is he a sub-80 IQ nigger?
The Courier doesn't live in the Mojave, iirc. That's why for the entire early game s/he's wandering around asking people where shit is, to the point where on release, a lot of people came away with the misconception that the Courier has amnesia.

Your dialogue, on the rare occasion you get to express any kind of backstory, usually indicates that you came from California*. We also know that you went to Lonesome Road at some point and all that weird shit happened. Johnson Nash, the manager of the Mojave Express, also doesn't know who you are or recognise you - the Platinum Chip was presumably your first job with them. I'm absolutely certain that you come from outside the Mojave, and iirc the ending slides might indicate that you leave after the events of the game.

*though some of your dialogue can also indicate you don't quite know who the NCR are, in which case god only knows where you're from

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane

It's a, should be, constant requirement that you remember who put a bullet on your forehead, over an opened grave.
If i have my rather, I would have a message box open up every time after a sleep/wait session "your head wound drummed..."
But that could be a bit intrusive to players so I understand why devs didnt do that kind of thing from start.
But it's a bit too much to ask some players to keep in-character, I guess~
Fallout New Vegas is different to Fallout 1 and 2 in that PERSONAL aspect. You have a personal roleplay reason to find Benny. Someone should get a payback soonest ~
---
This is same reason why I dont dawdle 13 years in the wasteland before visit Oil Rig. Or let the water timer run out in Fallout 1~
Roleplaying, biatches! The very thing you do in RPG~

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
But that's my point - your business with Benny concludes at the end of the first act. There's no particularly convincing reason for you to even be in the Mojave after that point, let alone singlehandedly deciding its entire future.

Seeking Benny works perfectly as a motivation for the first act, but as soon as you step out of The Tops after the confrontation, nothing you do has any clear motive and nobody treats you in a way that makes sense. You're House's top agent and he's trusting you with the culmination of centuries of work despite having just met you, Caesar wants you to personally come and work for him despite you showing no interest in doing so (and this is after he's potentially sent assassins after you), and the NCR inexplicably decide that they like the cut of your jib and that you should be put in charge of extremely key operations that could determine their hold on the entire Mojave. You're an anonymous postal worker who arrived in the Mojave under a week ago.

It's like if I - as in literally just me, RPGCodex user Lemming42 - flew to Russia on holiday, got kicked in the balls at the airport, and spent three days finding the man responsible so I could kick him back. Then, as soon as I kick this random nobody in the balls, I turn round to discover official envoys sent by Vladimir Putin and Volodomyr Zelensky, both inviting me to urgent personal meetings to discuss my plans for the future of Ukraine, and both trusting me with state secrets vital to turning the tide of the war. And then Biden sends a messenger telling me that I'm also invited to be in charge of the US response.

Ryzer

Arcane
Nobody mentions the fact that Fallout new vegas is famous for showing in dialogue, speech checks completely butchering the concept introduced in Fallout 1, as a button-awesome now.
It was like the passage from Dragon age origins to Dragon age 2, a massive decline.
Besides, the dialogues are nowhere near as deep as Fallout 1 and even 2 because at least in those games, you had the possibility to piss off the NPC so bad it would automatically enable a fight.
In New Vegas, you are the chosen one, everyone is nice and easy to you.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
^ Yeah, as long as I'm ragging on the game (which I still think is one of the best games of all time overall), the Courier is boring as shit and never gets a chance to express him/herself through dialogue. Only very rarely do you get the chance to assert an opinion on anything or inject some personality into your speech; mostly you just ask people bland questions and make emotionless comments.

Which is weird when a big part of all the previous Fallout games is getting to act like a complete lunatic at any given opportunity. You'd be hard-pressed to find too many notable conversations in Fo1, Fo2 or Fo3 where you don't have the ability to say something surprising or funny or pointlessly cruel at some point (often with consequences such as turning NPCs hostile or barring the player from quests), but in New Vegas you're just sort of passive even when dealing with the most memorable characters. The Outer Worlds had the same thing going on, your character is just totally dull no matter how you try to play them, maybe it's an Obsidian thing.

Laz Sundays

Educated
It WOULD be a good Fallout, but it got cucked by so many things that it just never made it there. Unlucky situation, redeemed by the shown potential and carried by massive patting on the back from many fans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom