Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Arnust

Savant
Lol, no. Even though I haven't played Demon's Souls, nothing can ever top the Nexus as a hubworld of Soulsborne games. The lack of something akin to World Tendency also made me disappointed because that sounds like a feature that's really fun to have in a Soulsborne game.
"I haven't played it but sure it's great"
That is around 50% of DeS praise. Good example there ^^
How is the Nexus any better than Majula or even 3's Firelink Shrine but in atmosphere, I'm appalled.

Tendency was largely translated to DS2 NG+. Still, it would be amazing to have it back more extensively.

Hyperion

Arcane
The Nexus was excellent because of its convenience - Maiden in Black, Boldwin, and the 5 Archstones were all within arm's reach. These were, for the most part, the only things you needed for the vast majority of the game - you probably weren't going to Miracle / Spell merchants *every* time you were in the Nexus.

Majula, for example, would have improved its functionality if Maughlin were removed, and had his inventory added to Blacksmith Lenigrast's. Maybe sprinkle some lore that returned some of Lenigrast's smithing techniques via memories every time you absorbed Souls from killing a boss. This would then be represented in adding said boss's armor set, at the cost of memories of his daughter / life before Majula. This would have put Lenigrast, Chloanne, the Emerald Herald, Carhillion, and even Gilligan all within view of each other from the Majula bonfire. You also would remain closer to the Forest of Fallen Giants, and Heide's Tower entrances by staying within this general radius.

Firelink in DS3 was too samey. Every which way you turned, the place looked identical, people were hidden under arches, up stairways, around bends, sitting in dark corners. It was extremely aggravating to navigate, especially when half of the areas are covered in shadows. However, Fire Keeper, and the Smith were generally right in front of your face - generally all you needed, which was pretty good.

Ivan

Arcane
You defeated Nameless King but can't defeat Soul of Cinder? He's practically a victory lap...
inspirational-ron-swanson-quotes4.jpg

The Decline

Arcane
The Soul of Cinder was a let down to me mostly because I had overleveled a bit instead of getting good to beat The Ringed City.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Since at the moment I am butthurt that I can't beat the fucking Soul of Cinder in DaS3 and I lack the motivation to git gud, I decided to give DeS a spin. I predict massive :butthurt: incoming. Lord have mercy.

Please report on your enjoyment after each stage, or some; I am interested to see how you like it.

Black Angel

Arcane
How is the Nexus any better than Majula or even 3's Firelink Shrine but in atmosphere, I'm appalled.
Well, how is Majula or even 3's Firelink Shrine better than the Nexus in anything else, really?

Like the other guy said below you about Majula, I would add that Majula was way too spacious for a hub so it would have been much, much better for Fromsoft to tighten it a little bit AND also follow in the footstep of Dark Souls 1's Firelink Shrine in regards on having all of other areas to finally loop back to it . Also, instead of putting Majula or 3's Firelink Shrine against the Nexus, I would say 1's Firelink Shrine BUT with the way that could rival the Nexus in terms of how it was designed minus Maiden in Black because having to level up that way is enough in Demon's Souls and they are way so fucking retarded for returning to that kind of leveling system in 3 consecutive games after they did it right with just 1 fucking game.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Since at the moment I am butthurt that I can't beat the fucking Soul of Cinder in DaS3 and I lack the motivation to git gud, I decided to give DeS a spin. I predict massive :butthurt: incoming. Lord have mercy.

Give the levels in DeS a chance to grow on you, as they can be confusing and/or brutal initially and make one not like and/or enjoy them. :)

I found the following - Boletaria was straight up a great level. Stonefang Mine was an increasing pleasure for me to delve into. Tower of Latria was a little confusing and difficult initially, but I've always found it super atmospheric and creepy. Valley of Defilement was my most hated area until I had explored it and grew a little more comfortable with it. Shrine of Storms was awesome from the beginning - the feeling of isolation I got from it combined with very powerful enemies had my heart going from 0-200 every minute or so.

Edit: I wish From had done a DLC for the final/broken archstone. The unique areas in DeS truly are a treasure for people who care for that kind of thing.

Last edited:
Do we actually interact with those characters cited in the intro, some sage Freke, Twin fangs, Miranda, etc? They look cool as fuck.

More or less all of them, though some you only fight. I think just Vallarfax of the Twin Fangs isn't in the game, because he left Boletaria.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Do we actually interact with those characters cited in the intro, some sage Freke, Twin fangs, Miranda, etc? They look cool as fuck.

More or less all of them, though some you only fight. I think just Vallarfax of the Twin Fangs isn't in the game, because he left Boletaria.
He's dead actually. You get his armor at the bottom of the executioner's pit in the first part of Boletaria Castle. A gate unlocks right by the first archstone if you have pure white or black world tendency that leads to it.

He's dead actually. You get his armor at the bottom of the executioner's pit in the first part of Boletaria Castle. A gate unlocks right by the first archstone if you have pure white or black world tendency that leads to it.

Yeah, that's right, although it's never explicitly confirmed, but that's how parts of the story is told in these games.

Been a few years since I played DeS. :)

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Teh Nexus is one of the most overrated part of Demons Souls.

but still much better than everything outside the franchise in the genre
nope

he Souls series is not about the combat
This is a lie, the souls series is about combat. Just because Ninja Gaiden has better combat than Dark Souls doesn't mean Dark Souls isn't about combat. Anyway, Ninja Gaiden is a hack & slash game which Dark Souls isn't.

You're like "who gives a fuck about the writing when the driving in GTA V is so shitty"
I would compare the driving of GTA V to other GTA games and other games similar to it like The Saboteur, Saints Row, Mafia, etc.

He's been on a crusade against the game ever since he finally played it like 2 or 3 months ago. He gets irrationally mad at people who like a different game in the series than he does.
I beat this fucking game 3 times, I can talk about it as much as I want. It's a broken piece of shit.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
*Beats game three times*
IT IS A BROKEN PIECE OF SHIT!

Hehe, like the guy playing Darkest Dungeon for 1400 hours, then spamming the threads about how much the game sucks. You guys have issues.

Arnust

Savant
Well, how is Majula or even 3's Firelink Shrine better than the Nexus in anything else, really?

Like the other guy said below you about Majula, I would add that Majula was way too spacious for a hub so it would have been much, much better for Fromsoft to tighten it a little bit AND also follow in the footstep of Dark Souls 1's Firelink Shrine in regards on having all of other areas to finally loop back to it . Also, instead of putting Majula or 3's Firelink Shrine against the Nexus, I would say 1's Firelink Shrine BUT with the way that could rival the Nexus in terms of how it was designed minus Maiden in Black because having to level up that way is enough in Demon's Souls and they are way so fucking retarded for returning to that kind of leveling system in 3 consecutive games after they did it right with just 1 fucking game.
That's to you both; I'd revisit the Nexus and try saying "Majula is more spacious" again. There are huge pointless empty spaces, like the message pit, and the whole three floors of nothing, the overlong stairway, and the upper ranking floor and the rings of dead midgets.
The only thing you actually need from the Nexus is Stockpile Thomas and The Maiden in Black. The Blacksmith there has overpriced wares and doesn't make boss weapons or the "infusions", Patches has a niche repertory when he's there and if you're not a sorcerer AKA respect this game's design, you won't me needing anything from the casters.
TLDR: You only need it to warp to other areas, level up and drop your stuff. Granted, it's very atmospheric, but it doesn't go that much further than a Crash Bandicoot hub without the dressing.

Majula is also very small, wtf. In the other hand, I shouldn't have had DS3's hub as an example. It's just... ehhhh. Majula's got literally all you need as they implemented the "bring everyone essential there" feature. The only important NPCs that won't come here is Navlan. You have the merchants of: Pyromancies, Sorcery, Armor, starting weapons, miscellaneous (rings and consumables), Miracles, Blacksmith, upgrade materials, and lastly, two covenants and the level up lady. All the merchants' inventories will change in some way, by adding new items and/or making them unending. That is all in a small flat surface. If anything, the main issue is having a huge fuckoff hole in the way which I've fall in a good couple of times being distracted.

That looks pretty complete to me. There's some more to it; it's actually in the world, like the DS1 Firelink Shrine, leading to 5 paths total, it's got a couple of normal NPCs, some other secret and a black phantom to fight. One or two NPCs there are also exposition machines to squeeze, so there's that too.

Black Angel

Arcane
That's to you both; I'd revisit the Nexus and try saying "Majula is more spacious" again. There are huge pointless empty spaces, like the message pit, and the whole three floors of nothing, the overlong stairway, and the upper ranking floor and the rings of dead midgets.
?????
That's exactly what I said. It's WAY too spacious compared to other games hub. Way too many huge pointless empty spaces. It can benefit from being more compacted.

Majula is also very small, wtf.
There are huge pointless empty spaces
Pick one.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Having played most Souls games recently, Majula is not at all 'bigger' than the Nexus or, worse, Firelink Shrine in DS3. In fact it felt more compact. Honestly, maybe this is just very subjective. But to me, everything I needed in Majula was right there: smith, ores, leveling. I didn't need anything else. I'd argue that you spend the same time traversing the other hubs.

Oh and I am playing DS3 right now - why did nobody warn me the game would be strictly linear? That's kind of sad.

Arnust

Savant
?????
That's exactly what I said. It's WAY too spacious compared to other games hub. Way too many huge pointless empty spaces. It can benefit from being more compacted.

Majula is also very small, wtf.
There are huge pointless empty spaces
Pick one.
I'd revisit the Nexus and try saying "Majula is more spacious" again. There are huge pointless empty spaces, like the message pit, and the whole three floors of nothing, the overlong stairway, and the upper ranking floor and the rings of dead midgets.

Oi! Read it right! Where in Majula are stairways? :argh: In the manor basement actually

Oh and I am playing DS3 right now - why did nobody warn me the game would be strictly linear? That's kind of sad.
Yup, m'afraid that you've found out by now. Where are you at? When it comes to progression, you've got...
Two fork roads across the whole game (where you'll have to do both paths anyway), some weird backtracking instances. Secret areas are fairly off the way, but of course they should. Oh, and a sequence break or two. Nothing amazing as, again, you have to do everything else to progress at some point
:decline:

sullynathan

Arcane
Hehe, like the guy playing Darkest Dungeon for 1400 hours, then spamming the threads about how much the game sucks. You guys have issues
I didn't spam the thread, I kept updating on what I was doing and how i felt about the game the more I played.

Ivan

Arcane
but majula has the better song, and it doesn't look like shit (graphically)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom