Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Japanese games are shit. Here's why.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Clockwork Knight said:
I want you to fulfill a ridiculously huge request that's likely to be dismissed with a "lolno" anyway. Then, and only, i will concede to any merit

That's not how it works, LS

No, that IS how its supposed to work. Random list of good western games:

Monkey Island
Fallout
System Shock
Elite
Alpha Centauri

Japanase games which compare in quality and general greatness with the above:

[fill in blanks]

Go.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yep Bert, thats what I meant. ITS ALL THE SAME SHIT. Not any better than japanese shit.

And dont even get me started on SETTINGS in western games. Good Lord who art in heaven smite those who 'create' them...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DamnedRegistrations said:
LOL, you just listed what, 4-5 brown haired stubbly space marines as evidence of western games having more variety? There's about as much difference between the lot of them as there is between any two final fantasy protagonists.

But you're obviously right, this:
lenneth.jpg

looks just like this:
smt-nocturne1.jpg

Totally the same style. They both have, like, eyes.

They are the same in that they both scream faggotry.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And dont even get me started on SETTINGS in western games. Good Lord who art in heaven smite those who 'create' them...

How unexpected that you'd prefer the "original" wannabe-settings in JRPGs.

DefJam101

Arcane
Eastern games tend to be more original than Western games, which is great. However simply being original is not enough to make something "good" — originally stupid is still just as stupid.

A character design can be both functional and original, the two are not mutually exclusive. Perhaps designers should think about this before modeling yet another elaborately complex character costume with zero place in the game world.

Black Cat

Magister
Lyric Suite said:
Monkey Island
Fallout
System Shock
Elite
Alpha Centauri

All games on genres the Japanese have little, if any, interest in. Let's do the same the other way around. Random list of good japanese games.

Hellsinker.
Symphony of the night (though i personally prefer Ecclesia, hmpf).
Hellnight.
Metal Slug 3.
Mushihime-Sama Futari.
Siren.
Silent Hill 2.

Someone who knows fighting games please insert one here. I only play BlazBlue on that genre. T_T

Black Cat

Magister
Do you say so because any of those games has several orders of magnitude more, and more refined at that, gameplay that at least two games on the other list? :?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The japs have the best platforming.

The best survival horror

And the best combat in action adventure.

they also have a lead designer that groped and harassed female employees....allegedly.

Tomonobu_Itagaki3.jpg

itagaki and his half melted face thinks you're all cock ends.

Black Cat

Magister
All those i mentioned are considered the highest points of their own genres, just like Alpha Centaury is of it's own. Isn't that a milestone, given they influenced everything that came afterwards on their respective genres or represented the culmination of what came before? And, again, we are talking videogames, therefore quality of gameplay is the important element here. They are really good is important, they have historical significance isn't.

But maybe you are talking about not mentioning quality of the gameplay because otherwise Fallout and Monkey Island should be removed ASAP.

Zeus

Cipher
Lyric Suite said:
They are the same in that they both scream faggotry.

Seriously? The viking chick in full body armor "screams faggotry" at you?

Something might be wrong with your RPG Gaydar. Let's have a test:

rpg-gaydar.jpg

Which one of the following images, in your own words, "screams faggotry"?

A) The aforementioned viking woman in full body armor.
B) The old bearded man in a woman's dress with a, "I hope no one realizes I'm not wearing anything under here!" look on his face.
C) The big shirtless spread eagle bald guy wearing a leather miniskirt.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Ed123 said:
Black Cat said:
Do you say so because any of those games has several orders of magnitude more, and more refined at that, gameplay that at least two games on the other list? :?

Which of those games are as important milestones as the games Lyric Suite cited (excluding, AC, perhaps). "It was really good" doesn't count.

Symphony of the night was ridiculously well recieved, a 2d game also in a 3d era. And silent hill...seriously?

She's skillet fucking you guys, her argument is sound.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There's no need to argue about art direction when it is clear that Western art, by virtue of being able to draw upon the histories of Europe, will always be far richer than any weird anime shit the Japanese have to offer. I mean, those slanty-eyed buggers can't even draw human faces realistically. Just look at this.

970962733_3d8302ea55_z.jpg

Anime shit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
SotN didn't introduce or refine gameplay mechanics? ROFL. Yeah there were just dozens of games like that kicking around before. Not like it started it's own subgenre or anything.

Felix

Arcane
Sorry but JRPG is not the only type of Japanese game, I don't know where people got this japanesegameloluitismustbeagenericjpg from and the title read Japanese games not JRPG, and Japanese has big fat Italian plumber as main character in a successful franchise :smug:

itGatevn_2008022503_Mario.jpg

leonkennedy.jpg

chara_rikimaru.jpg

samurai-warriors-3-07.jpg

ryu.JPG

matt-blog-20090121105354724.jpg

character_pop_03.jpg

metroid.jpg

fatalframe2.jpg

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Felix said:

From top to bottom:

Big hat

Faggot hair

Ninja

Big hat

Ninja

WH40k RIP OFF

Faggot hair

WH40k RIP OFF

JAPANESE-LOOKING YOUNG GIRLS

Yeah, real original and distinctive there, pal.

Zomg

Arbiter
I think a lot of the shit with the androgynous teen designs is that there is a real tradition of Japanese comics (and therefore character designs) that are made for girls. The '70s founding stock of that stuff churned out wall-to-wall doe eyed girlboys (usually with European settings... damn female race traitors) that teenage girls would shell out for and it's still a market. And they figured out that the mass market stuff that's supposed to appeal to a wide demographic profile, like a high-budget vidya, could integrate parts of those designs to retain appeal to girls. The character designs in Japanese stuff that's 100% for boys or adult men are more masculinized, like in sports or action manga. High video game budgets are responsible for all evil in the world.

The whole comics and sci-fi thing in the west that churns out striking character design stereotypes has never tried to get the girlbux and so there is no stock of known commercially girl-friendly character designs to plunder.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Just scroll back up to the sweaty space marines. No faggotry there, just big throbbing guns and smooth heads. lol

Myeah, all characters from recent games, when Japan has always recycled the same faggotry art-style.

More examples of how everything looks the same? Thanks for helping me.

Archibald

Arcane
Someone who knows fighting games please insert one here. I only play BlazBlue on that genre. T_T

Street Fighter and King of Fighters obviously for "old school" 2D. Tekken and Virtual Fighter for 3D and Guilty Gear/Blazblue/Various doujins for "new school" 2D.

Pick your poison. All of them where more important and better than any fighting game from the west.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Also, shoot 'em ups.

(Western exceptions: Defender and Robotron 2084, coincidentally made by the same guy)

By the way, it's great how all you pathetic sacks of shit decided that what we really needed was ANOTHER argument about fucking graphics.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry, no, One Must Fall 2097 is apparently the best fighting game ever, and it's Western.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
SotN didn't introduce or refine gameplay mechanics?

wat

:retarded:

But maybe you are talking about not mentioning quality of the gameplay because otherwise Fallout and Monkey Island should be removed ASAP.

Yes, Fallout's gameplay is shit because you can abuse its flaws, a game has good gameplay only if there's no flaw to abuse and JRPGs have totally awesome gameplay that totally can't be bypassed by grinding. :roll:

Black Cat

Magister
Ed123 said:
1. How the fuck did SH2/Siren influence the genre any more than earlier Survival Horror?

How the fuck did Fallout influence the genre more than earlier role playing games? Also, how the fuck did Fallout influence the genre more than Diablo? There are many Diablo clones. Do you want to count how many Fallout clones there are? Actually, there are more Final Fantasy clones than Fallout, Elite, and System Shock clones put together. This is also valid for Mario clones and Metroidvania games, so I guess if we start worrying about historical significance Japan kind of wins, hands down. Also, want to know about the historical significance of the Megami Tensei franchise? How about it single handedly creating and defining the Mon genre, therefore having a greater indirect influence in modern popular culture than all five games he mentioned put together?

Ed123 said:
2. None of these games introduced - or so perfectly refined if you so choose - gameplay mechanics like Lyric Suite's list did (again excluding AC).

What gameplay mechanics did Monkey Island introduce, again? Using inventory items and SCUMM commands to solve nonsensical puzzles had already been done in previous adventure games, and Monkey Island's puzzles aren't in any way refined when next to Riven, Rhem, or Schizm. They are actually pretty basic, retarded and, again, nonsensical.

Then, what gameplay mechanics did Fallout introduce, again? Simplistic turn based combat? Dialogue trees? Also, half the entire point of RPGCodex is to endlessly whine because Fallout influenced the industry about, let me see... almost nothing at all? Outside of Vault Dweller's own game and the mess known as Arcanum, i mean.

Also, are you saying Hellnight did not introduce anything new to the survival horror genre? Really? And are you saying Siren did not introduce anything new, nor revolutionary, to the Survival Horror genre, too? Is talking out your ass a hobby of yours, i wonder?

Are you saying you know many Bullet Hell games better than Hellsinker and Mushihimesama Futari? You don't? Then they can be considered the culmination of a certain line inside their genre. Are you saying they didn't influence what came afterwards? Really? Several dozens of Bullet Hell games taking elements of those and others classics come out each year. How many Fallout like games come out every year, you said? How many Monkey Island like games came out every year, you said?

Now, do you know many Metroidvanias better than Symphony of the Night? Again, do you want to discuss how much did Symphony of the Night influence both later Castlevania titles, Castlevania clones, and doujin Metroidvania games, while still being one hell of a game on it's own right and still very playable and enjoyable today even for people that has no nostalgic feeling for it?

I guess Serious Sam is comparable to Doom then.

I don't play many first person shooters so i am not able to tell whether it is so or not. Doom's historical value is worth nothing at all when you are trying to play it, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom