Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Japanese games are shit. Here's why.

laclongquan

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
The real question everybody should be asking themselves is, are there Japanese counterparts to the great western classics?

That is just asking for hurt, bro. because FF7 and FF8 set the tone of the entire RPG genre, both western and jap. Kinda like Baldur's Gate series, but more successful.

In other genres Black Cat did do the bashing well, so spare me the repetition.

Anyway, is it just me or Ed123 is an alt of someone we all are very familiar. Normally I wouldnt think so but his style in this thread remind me strongly of some bastard here. The name is just escape me at the moment but his style of ignoring coherent points and blindly take in other people's argument as support for his (even th ough they do the opposite) is very familiar. Who was it? :x Damn my memory.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah, Hellnight, thanks for reminding me on that one BC.

It's got quite a lot of mechanics that Codexers should like. Never did manage to finish that one though, I should go find a copy to emulate...

Zomg

Arbiter
treave said:
Sorry, no, One Must Fall 2097 is apparently the best fighting game ever, and it's Western.

nope

I dunno how to convince someone that a self-conscious SFII knockoff that was sold on RPG elements isn't the greatest fighter ever however, and I'm kinda assuming you're kidding

This coming from someone that actually bought the full version from the shareware when it was new, and it might have been the first fighter I ever put more than 30 minutes into

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Zeus said:
Seriously? The viking chick in full body armor "screams faggotry" at you?

That's not a viking chick. That's a Japanese school girl sighing submissively, wearing some fantastically designed apparel that has no historical connotation. It has all the elements that make wapanese art gay, such as excessive brilliance juxtaposed over the most childish, cutesy shit.

Zeus

Cipher
Lyric Suite said:
That's not a viking chick. That's a Japanese girl with a cutsie, submissive look wearing a fantastically designed that has no historical connotation. It has all the elements that make wapanese art gay.

You're avoiding the question. :smug:

Zeus said:
rpg-gaydar.jpg

Which one of the following images, in your own words, "screams faggotry"?

A) The aforementioned viking woman in full body armor.
B) The old bearded man in a woman's dress with a, "I hope no one realizes I'm not wearing anything under here!" look on his face.
C) The big shirtless spread eagle bald guy wearing a leather miniskirt.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I hit submit by mistake. I was in the process of typing that. See my final post.

Zeus

Cipher
Lyric Suite said:
There is no question.

Gosh, maybe he doesn't know what a question mark looks like.

Should I link to wikipedia, or notify his parents that he's been skipping school?

bert

Arcane
Black Cat said:
Ed123 said:
1. How the fuck did SH2/Siren influence the genre any more than earlier Survival Horror?

rape

Ed123 said:
2. None of these games introduced - or so perfectly refined if you so choose - gameplay mechanics like Lyric Suite's list did (again excluding AC).

rape

I guess Serious Sam is comparable to Doom then.

rape

I want to make love to you Black Cat. Nyaaa~~~~~~ <3

:love:
There's no need to argue about art direction when it is clear that Western art, by virtue of being able to draw upon the histories of Europe, will always be far richer than any weird anime shit the Japanese have to offer. I mean, those slanty-eyed buggers can't even draw human faces realistically. Just look at this.

Anime shit.

Japanese art is :decline: just because it wasn't drawn in the same way as Western art? Did you expect the same art style from people born and raised in a completely different culture?

Felix said:
snip

treave said:
From top to bottom:

Big hat

Faggot hair

Ninja

Big hat

Ninja

WH40k RIP OFF

Faggot hair

WH40k RIP OFF

JAPANESE-LOOKING YOUNG GIRLS

Yeah, real original and distinctive there, pal.

Samus Aran, WH40k RIP OFF?

Troll fo' sho.

Black Cat

Magister
Samus Aran, WH40k RIP OFF?

WTF, indeed. Metroid is from '86. Warhammer 40k is from '87. Time Paradox, activate! Also, the design has really nothing in common.

Not to mention it was Warhammer 40k the one ripping anime Mecha design (Tau Empire, LOL) and not the other way around. The japanese don't really seem to like a lot the walking soup cans with guns school of mecha design.

Felix

Arcane
Yes, people know more about that big hat guy than the whole codex's favourites combined
Faggot hair
Still better than gay space marines
yes but with stealth
Helmet bro, the antler helmet and Tonbogiri is from history.
In name only
WH40k RIP OFF
lolno, and he use his arms
Faggot hair
you're just jealous
WH40k RIP OFF
:what:
JAPANESE-LOOKING YOUNG GIRLS
in a horror game and it works

Yeah, real original and distinctive there, pal.

Yes, as far as I concern, good thing we agree with each other. :smug:

Zomg

Arbiter
You could have gone for the grognard nuts there and made fun of Battletech instead of WH40k.

roll-a-die

Magister
Lyric Suite said:
Clockwork Knight said:
I want you to fulfill a ridiculously huge request that's likely to be dismissed with a "lolno" anyway. Then, and only, i will concede to any merit

That's not how it works, LS

No, that IS how its supposed to work. Random list of good western games:

Monkey Island
Fallout
System Shock
Elite
Alpha Centauri

Japanase games which compare in quality and general greatness with the above:

[fill in blanks]

Go.
With a western game fan bias or with a eastern game fan bias?

With an eastern game fan bias.

Super Mario 64
SMT: Nocturne
Metroid
Pokemon R/B
Gran Turismo 3
FF7
MGS2 SOL
SSBB
SMB3
Dragon Quest 7
Zelda
Persona 4

:P

1eyedking

Erudite
You know what really sucks about anime? The over-accessorized characters. And it's not like these accessories serve any purpose whatsoever, no, no - they're just a fashion statement.

Completely and utterly kills suspension of disbelief. Which in turn instantly kills any artistic possibility.

Clockwork Knight said:
Writing a dozen paragraphs consisting of "shitsux" isn't any more elite than saying the same thing on an one-liner, you know

If you were gonna present those as "reasons", you could just have posted
y21.png
and be done with it.

I mean, look at that smug motherfucker, tell me you don't wanna jump at him and twist his neck mid-sentence
Holy shit I just read that.

:lol:

Much love bro.

Ed123 said:
Jesus, it's like setting fire to an ant-hill.
Also, this.

I wonder why so many of the people on the Codex so blindly hate Jap games while simultaneously bitching about no good RPG came out since Arcanum. Look, my favorite games came from the west, but that's because my favorite genres are more represented in the west. There are quality genres that the east does better than anyone in the west, namely fighting games and platformers. They've made some decent rpgs and decent action adventures, blah blah blah, but my favorite games are strategy games and RPGs, which the west did far better than the east. But acting like nothing good came from the East while having an AP avatar makes you a fag of the highest caliber.

Multi-headed Cow

Dead Rising is the only good thing to come from Japan.

roll-a-die

Magister
1eyedking said:
You know what really sucks about anime? The over-accessorized characters. And it's not like these accessories serve any purpose whatsoever, no, no - they're just a fashion statement.
Er, what?

Let's take a look at the 3 most popular anime characters as ranked by anime source, First off we have Haruhi Suzimaya,
Haruhi_book_01_s.jpg
Who wear's an actual Japanese school girl outfit.

Next we have the main char of GTO, who's name I can't even pronounce much less spell.
GreatTeacherOnizuka.gif
Let's see wife beater and jean's and neck laces, seems normal to me. More normal than the people I see walk down the street in LA everyday at least.

Finally we have Kenshin of Rouroni Kenshin, who wear's historically accurate dress,

rurouni-kenshin-artwork.jpg

Completely and utterly kills suspension of disbelief. Which in turn instantly kills any artistic possibility.
I agree with this issue, but only in the context where it is relevant, EG Final Fantasy, not in the hyperbolic sense you put it in.

deuxhero

Arcane
The World Ends With You, for all its faults, at least made the over accessorized designs make sense, as it takes place in a fashion crazy city, with some of the major characters, who are the ones with the stranger tastes in clothes, implied to be behind some of the bigger labels (I am told the actual place the setting is based on is just as fashion crazy as the game makes it out to be, if not more).

roll-a-die

Magister
Felix said:
Vagabond >>>>>>>>>>> Kenshin, just throw it out there.
I know I was just using the three most popular anime characters as voted for by like 3000 people. I woulda posted Vagabond, but really, Kenshin is far more well known, thanks to fantastically popular runs on CN.

deuxhero

Arcane
Also, the bizarre designs are pretty much just Nomura, ZUN (and only for crazy powerful magic beings, the humans and other characters on the low end of the scale getting more plausible outfits) and the artists for intentionally silly works as far as I know. Guys like Kaneko and Sugimori draw pretty normal characters.

zeitgeist

Magister
In Japan, Gamemakers Struggle to Instill Taste for Western Shooters

Many other games at Tokyo Game Show, Japan’s biggest videogame expo, are developed here with an eye on the Western market. Most are shooters, a genre that dominates the U.S. charts but is not popular here. It’s all an attempt to reach a broader audience with next-generation games, something that Japan hasn’t been able to do yet.

“The classic, traditional Japanese formula is not a moneymaker anymore unless you have “Monster Hunter,” “Dragon Quest” or “Final Fantasy” in your game title,” says James Mielke, a game producer at Tokyo-based Q Entertainment. “It’s a real risk for a developer to make a game that’s designed specifically for (Japan). That’s not a safe strategy.”

Black Cat

Magister
The World Ends With You, for all its faults, at least made the over accessorized designs make sense, as it takes place in a fashion crazy city, with some of the major characters, who are the ones with the stranger tastes in clothes, implied to be behind some of the bigger labels (I am told the actual place the setting is based on is just as fashion crazy as the game makes it out to be, if not more).

You mean Shibuya? The concept in The World Ends With You is correct, Shibuya being both the center of fashion, nightlife, and IN behaviour and 'tude for Tokyo's youth. And, to be honest, the characters don't wear nothing too weird.

e37d7b8c81bef84724efebe285a3bc40_2.jpg

They look like most people I know, only stylized and romantized and made cool, which is kind of unsurprising in a game targeted to such a demographic.

The game also makes fun of the most exotic RPG designs, such as the over abundance of zippers and belts, given some of the characters are actually pure breed Shibuya fashion slaves.

It's actually pretty cool, but then everything about that game is cool.

Devil Survivor's character and fashion design is also mostly real world approved if we leave Naoya, who is suposed to be a weird loner, Midori, who was cosplaying when everything began, and Amane, who is dressed in her demonic cultist maiden atire, aside.

devil-survivor.jpg

Unless MP3 players and headphones became over accesorising when i wasn't looking it is pretty clean and normal, the kind of thing you see on the street every other day.

434584.jpg

A pretty normal bunch, if cool looking too.

But then most people on this thread believes JRPG = Final Fantasy, so i don't really expect them to know of Devil Survivor, much less of The World Ends With You or the new crop of IN JRPGs.

Also,

First, what roll-a-die said. Then, do you mean they are just like most accesories worn in real life? Well, i never...

Felix

Arcane
I still hate the big alien eyes, nonexistent noses and stupid hair colors, I blame Disney.

Black Cat

Magister
Noses are for the weak.

And most of my friends have stupid hair colors (some even have stupid contact lenses colors) so i can't really say anything on that without feeling one hundred percent hypocrite.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom