Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

People News Jay Wilson Apologizes for "Fuck That Loser" Comment

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri

^ Top  
  2. Marsal Arcane

Marsal
    Fuck you! I'm not Marsal's alt.

^ Top  
  3. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    At least he admitted what Diablo is all about:

Truly a game for the obsessive compulsive. The game should be banned for it could lead to OCD in healthy people too.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Anthony Davis Blizzard Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    I don't have a problem with the desired goal of Diablo's gameplay. Honestly, there are times when I am too tired to follow anything more complex than clicking on dudes till they explode. It actually gives me time to mentally unwind.

For me, Diablo, Torchlight, etc all fill that niche nicely.

On an unrelated note, if anyone wants to harass me on GW2, I'll be playing on Sorrow's Furnace.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. EG Nullified

EG
    We like entertainment.

^ Top  
  6. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    There is no real butthurt. It's just that Jay Wilson is a fuckhead and, being the lead designer and PR guy, is the one blamed for ruining Diablo 3. If it was virtually anyone else no one would have given a fuck.

^ Top  
  7. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Ruining Diablo 3? is that the same game that sold 10mil copies? Nah, I believe D3 is doing just fine, and I'm one of the few here who likely didn't play or buy it. R00fles!

^ Top  
  8. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    ^ Top  
  9. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    Sales figures ≠ quality. The game could have been a literal turd in a box and it would have sold millions on the name alone.

^ Top  
  10. EG Nullified

EG
    Of course it means quality! People wouldn't buy it if it wasn't quality!

That's how capitalism works, dammit.

^ Top  
  11. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Awww... Your opinion on quality is irrelevant. The game isn't broken. It's a huge success in every way that matters.

Trust me on this - if the internet was like this when D1 came out, it likely would have a lot of 'haters' as well. This is 2012 - The Time To Hate All Things Unless It was Made 20 Years Ago.

R00fles!

^ Top  
  12. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    Volly has apparently changed his cock of choice to suck. how quaint.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    And Enron sold 11 billions' worth of shitty shares. Diablo 3 sold that based on reputation, not quality. If it had been made by an obscure company it'd have gone the way of Kingdoms of Amalaur, except Kingdoms of Amalur was a decent game.

^ Top  
  14. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    In before Anthony Davis apology...

^ Top  
  15. Anthony Davis Blizzard Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Meh, why would I apologize? The only thing I would have even considered was maybe being more eloquent if I had the ability. I'm not a wordsmith though so you get what you get.

I guess now that I am married I think the though of shipping your wife off, especially a pregnant wife, just so you can play a video game for a week, is very selfish.

Selfish might have been better a better word than disgusting... in hindsight.

Then to brandish the notion that you shipped off your pregnant wife so you can play a game as evidence of how HARDCORE you are is simply pathetic.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  16. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    I was just playing.

It really is amazing how powerful social media is. One comment, one that was even deleted rather quickly, was enough to cause a storm... OR SOME MIGHT SAY A BLIZZARD LOL

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  17. Anthony Davis Blizzard Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Any company with a burn rate like Blizzard should be careful. Not every game they make is going to generate 10 million in sales or have 9 million active users.

Diablo 3 had a LOT of people working on it for over 11 years. They spent a ton of money creating that game.

They have doubtlessly made all of that back and more, but that sort of business model is not sustainable forever. The only way it works is if you deliver MEGA-HITS every single time (EDIT) or you are Valve and have a golden goose that can sustain all sorts of projects. Fail to deliver even once on one of these mega expensive projects and the company is going to take a bath.

It is happening right now with EA and Bioware over their 300+million dollar MMO gamble which failed horribly. There are all sorts of rumors about EA and Bioware going on right now and how many and what heads are going to roll. Some already have.

It's not quite the same, EA also had some other games that weren't great, sure, but they are also a LOT more diversified than Blizzard too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    This.

...And shitty to meh product selling on brand name alone won't sustain this business model.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Isn't WoW a "golden goose" still?

^ Top  
  20. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Have you seen his wife? He'd probably use any ol' excuse to ship her off!

^ Top  
  21. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The really shitty part is that it is a megahit. Well, maybe their next product won't.

^ Top  
  22. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    ANY game associated with BLIZZARD will sell millions.

^ Top  
  23. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    It's true. Blizzard fanboys are even more delusional than Valve fanboys.

^ Top  
  24. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    WoW probably won't remain a golden goose for much longer as it pushes 8+ years old.

Coming from a MUD/MUSH background, we lost and gained players in cycles, but usually player fatigue would end up setting in and people would just quit out of boredom once they'd done/seen everything. The aging graphics and aging playerbase won't help. MMOs of the WoW-kind probably won't outlive WoW, ie: there will never be a WoW killer, it will just die a slow antediluvian death and its inheritors will never quite live up to its name.

^ Top  
  25. Tycn Savant

Tycn
    Fuck you (collectively) for giving them $60 for Diablo 3 beta.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.