Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jonesing for a first person RPG or Im-Sim

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I understand your criteria is also FP, so scratch this one if an isometric game is out of the question.
Seven: Enhanced Version.
It's a game of isometric parkour, stealth, pick-locking, gathering info, investigating. You can fight a lot (somewhat easy action combat), but you can also play in a way you almost don't fight at all.
The stealth is why I recommend, after reading all your criteria.
There can be a great sense of achievement in getting into a well-guarded complex, stunning only some of the guards, hiding their bodies, looting/finishing objectives, and getting out unseen. Or getting access into parts of the world you are not supposed to be at yet - just because you found out a different way :)
It's got somewhat strange RPG elements, not char points as we are used to in general.
It's a diamond in the rough.
Some people hate some of its no-brainer, clunky features after few hours in-game, some swear by its original approach and lovable environment.
I had to give it two chances of uninstall, before it's grown on me. Now, I am very fond I did that.
You be the judge.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Is enderal actually good? It requires owning skyrim, and skyrim refuses to go on sale low enough that I'm willing to buy it for a mod since todd keeps rereleasing it every year.
Check the Enderal thread for some impressions and screenshots, it is way more than just good.
I bought Skyrim SE for 10 bucks on some reseller site and found it very much worth it.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Im sims, but not RPGs, neither with any combat:

Infra: Fish around failing infrastructure with Half-Life style puzzles and SS style voicemails.

Deliver us the Moon is ok. Somewhat converged. Pretty.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Skdursh's list reminded me of another suggestion: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/phr00t

Way back in the day, I played a number of phr00t's games. Now it's not a stretch to say that a lot of them are shovelware quality, but they are actually quite fun too. You get to complete objectives in different ways, you buy or acquire weapons with different stats a la Borderlands, and that's pretty much the gameplay loop. NPCs fight one another too. It's fairly basic but should scratch that itch for a while, and till now I still have some good memories from them.

Funny thing is, he seems to be the only indie developer doing games like that (with the STALKER or nu-Fallout feel)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Consortium (Imsim that takes place onboard a large flying fortress. Has an impressive variety of alternate routes and potential endings. Has a large variety of options for non-violent resolution. Also has a sequel called "The Tower" that was released into EA, but seems to be stuck in development hell and hasn't had an update in a few years.)
Dread Delusion (FPRPG. Early Access. Morrowind, but weirder.)
Shadows of Doubt (Detective Imsim, with lots of fancy procedural dev AI tricks to expand the game. Coming sooner or later, being made mostly by one super-genius, but worth keeping an eye on.)
Peripeteia (Imsim. Extensive demo available.)
Embers of the Gods (Little known FPRPG solo dev project with some releases going back to 2018. Free.)
Vampire - Le Fruit DĂ©fendu (Indie FPRPG game inspired by VtM. Also been in development for a long time, but also free.)
Enderal (Skyrim total conversion. Much more impressive than Skyrim itself, especially once you get past the intro sequence. Same devs have also made total conversions that take place in the same universe for Oblivion and Morrowind, though they are a bit less impressive.)
Filchier (Thief-like Imsim)
Brigand: Oaxaca (Already been mentioned, but yes.)
Chronicles of Cyberpunk (Free short Imsim. Jank aesthetic. On Steam.)
Cruelty Squad (VERY INTERNET Imsim shooter. Not so rare now that some of the big name Youtubers have done videos on how wEiRd it is, but still worth checking out.)
The Chronicles of Riddick/Assault on Dark Athena (Old, very underappreciated, Imsim-ish shooter. Much better than you might expect.)
STALKER Anomaly (Standalone STALKER recreation made on update 64bit XRAY engine. Made by fans. Very, very well done and completely free.)
Outer Wilds (Not rare and also not really an RPG, but definitely counts as an Imsim in my book and it's just way too good to leave off the list.)
Adrorium (Spaceship sim. Bit janky, lots of developer art, but very detailed and has a lot of depth. Free.)
Boiling Point Road to Hell (Hard to find. Janky. Bit like if Farcry 2 were made by Russians and added RPG elements.)
Xenus 2 (Sequel to the above.)
Neon Struct (Cyberpunk Imsim with a low-poly aesthetic.)

Excellent list that definitely wasn't created by clicking on 1st person tag on Steam and copypasting everything.

FriendlyMerchant

Uh. Skyrim.
uyEnDKs.jpg

You can climb dragons and craft mountains.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm going to second the vote for Enderal.

Yes, it requires you to purchase Skyrim Special Edition to play it, but the "module" (it's a total conversion) itself is completely free.

Enderal takes almost all of the things that were/are annoying about Skyrim and tosses them out the window. Genuinely interesting writing, genuinely interesting and meaningful gameplay (if you're okay with a somewhat more Requiem-like combat experience) and truly amazing graphical presentation. Character building is medium to light, but it's at least present -- and based on actual statistics -- where Skyrim had basically nothing.

Oh, and you gain experience points from combat. And you level up in a conventional way, without your skills going up through useage.

Consider it, Zombra.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did play a few minutes of non-Special Edition Enderal and liked what I saw before it crashed.

Lame experience point levelling system isn't a selling point though. Learn by doing is superior.

Skdursh

Savant
Consortium (Imsim that takes place onboard a large flying fortress. Has an impressive variety of alternate routes and potential endings. Has a large variety of options for non-violent resolution. Also has a sequel called "The Tower" that was released into EA, but seems to be stuck in development hell and hasn't had an update in a few years.)
Dread Delusion (FPRPG. Early Access. Morrowind, but weirder.)
Shadows of Doubt (Detective Imsim, with lots of fancy procedural dev AI tricks to expand the game. Coming sooner or later, being made mostly by one super-genius, but worth keeping an eye on.)
Peripeteia (Imsim. Extensive demo available.)
Embers of the Gods (Little known FPRPG solo dev project with some releases going back to 2018. Free.)
Vampire - Le Fruit DĂ©fendu (Indie FPRPG game inspired by VtM. Also been in development for a long time, but also free.)
Enderal (Skyrim total conversion. Much more impressive than Skyrim itself, especially once you get past the intro sequence. Same devs have also made total conversions that take place in the same universe for Oblivion and Morrowind, though they are a bit less impressive.)
Filchier (Thief-like Imsim)
Brigand: Oaxaca (Already been mentioned, but yes.)
Chronicles of Cyberpunk (Free short Imsim. Jank aesthetic. On Steam.)
Cruelty Squad (VERY INTERNET Imsim shooter. Not so rare now that some of the big name Youtubers have done videos on how wEiRd it is, but still worth checking out.)
The Chronicles of Riddick/Assault on Dark Athena (Old, very underappreciated, Imsim-ish shooter. Much better than you might expect.)
STALKER Anomaly (Standalone STALKER recreation made on update 64bit XRAY engine. Made by fans. Very, very well done and completely free.)
Outer Wilds (Not rare and also not really an RPG, but definitely counts as an Imsim in my book and it's just way too good to leave off the list.)
Adrorium (Spaceship sim. Bit janky, lots of developer art, but very detailed and has a lot of depth. Free.)
Boiling Point Road to Hell (Hard to find. Janky. Bit like if Farcry 2 were made by Russians and added RPG elements.)
Xenus 2 (Sequel to the above.)
Neon Struct (Cyberpunk Imsim with a low-poly aesthetic.)

Excellent list that definitely wasn't created by clicking on 1st person tag on Steam and copypasting everything.
It wasn't, but have fun being a retard. ~28% of the games aren't even on Steam.

There is honestly a decent chance that I have the largest archive of obscure RPGs (and other games) of anyone on CODEX. My total collection right now weighs slightly more than 36TB.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
The Quest has a roguelike combat system you go then everything in the immediate vicinity goes and it's fairly decent provided all the different ways you can build your character, well worth picking up. I am required by law to say it's a shame the sequel is going real time party based snoozefest everytime The Quest is mentioned.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Just in case you haven't played it:

Dread Delusion possibly I guess.

Looks good!
Except I saw a screenshot and a beer cost 10gold in this game:argh:
How is combat?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge there have been only like three "normal", grid-walking, first-person RPGs ever developed for mobiles. Two of these are from Redshift. All the other grid RPGs being, sadly, just micro-transaction-copy-pasta things with an adventuring level dwindling at the bottom of the scale from low to nothing.
The Quest, as one of the three, may surprise you even more for a variety of reasons. It's been here since the Pocket PC Mobile 2009, getting re-released and DLC'ed since. Its mystery is only exceeded by its power, as the overal quality, visual art, and complexity surpases many of its genre even on PC. Thinking about of how quests can result in different endings, or how your reputation preceeds different reactions from the core NPCs? Bah, this game which can be older than your high-school memories, even has its own RPG card game, which is played at the taverns!
I'm glad someone's remade this gem to Steam.

Edit: I have gone too far in stating the visuals are of greater quality than modern games :| The rest stands.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge there have been only like three "normal", grid-walking, first-person RPGs ever developed for mobiles. Two of these are from Redshift.
Not sure which non-Redshift mobile blobber you have in mind, but I can think of at least two - Undercroft and 7 Mages.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge there have been only like three "normal", grid-walking, first-person RPGs ever developed for mobiles. Two of these are from Redshift.
Not sure which non-Redshift mobile blobber you have in mind, but I can think of at least two - Undercroft and 7 Mages.
Those two were on my mind exactly. Hot damn, I mistook Redshift for Rake in Grass. Apologies.

Last edited:

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Probably not quite what you're looking for, but since there seems to be a number of inquiring eyes fixed on this thread looking for new and interesting stuff in the same vein, I'd like to post a game that has caught my attention.

Seems to be an interesting take on the basic foundations of an Immersive Sim. Looks very impressive for a solo project too. I'll likely be buying it within the next few days once I clean up a little of my backlog.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Might wanna look here: https://steampeek.hu/?appid=482400
Maybe you'll find something to your liking, Zombra.

I generally don't like these "games like..." pages because, more often than not, one finds out things like Monkey Island reputedly resembling Bioshock and whatnot. But this page looks alright.

grimace

Arcane

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
The original game, yeah, some years ago, or at least I thought I had. There are new achievements that suggest they added an extra act or two since then.
(edit: it looks like they just added some extra content and achievements, but I did get to the ending)
That third party dlc dropped much more recently.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom