Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

It's amazing how much Sawyer has changed. Just ten years ago, he wrote that he didn't understand how anyone could drink strong liquors at all. And now he's occasionally taking polls on Twitter about what to booze that night.

I'm not sure I buy Roguey's senility thesis, but it's fascinating and frightening to see Sawyer turning increasingly into a quasi-Avellone. I wonder how long Feargus is going to tolerate him, now that he's just like Chris in being depressed and not wanting to be a Lead anymore.

Quillon

Arcane
not wanting to be a Lead anymore.

Being a lead is literally his job tho and he still loves it in his words. But him leading some small hipster project as opposed to leading the big projects the studio's working on is kinda similar to Chris not wanting to be lead anymore yeah.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

It's amazing how much Sawyer has changed. Just ten years ago, he wrote that he didn't understand how anyone could drink strong liquors at all. And now he's occasionally taking polls on Twitter about what to booze that night.

I'm not sure I buy Roguey's senility thesis, but it's fascinating and frightening to see Sawyer turning increasingly into a quasi-Avellone. I wonder how long Feargus is going to tolerate him, now that he's just like Chris in being depressed and not wanting to be a Lead anymore.

Alcohol turns out to be pretty estrogenic.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Which game is Josh working on anyway? The Skyrim clone or something that isn't announced.

Oberon

Learned

Alcohol turns out to be pretty estrogenic.

Twatter turns out to be pretty estrogenic.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I just don't get why he is so obsessed with allowing low STR fighters and dumb wizards in a world where magicians are intellectuals and magic is a science at the same time that he removes everything cool from the "original games" for balance cultism.

• About 27:26 min, when he mentions that AD&D allows you to jump from extremely high, only if your character is on late teen levels, had a lot of CON and rolled high on hp each level up, which is extremely superhuman. Also, there are people surviving extremely long falls IRL despite not being superhuman. Here is a soldier who survived a parachute failing https://www.iflscience.com/editors-...rashes-through-house-after-parachute-failure/
  • 29:16 - IF you give 3 CON to a Wiz, he will probably gonna die quickly, but still can be a interesting character to play. Imagine the concept. A genius with a terrible crippling disease wanting to find a cure. He would't be a good character to dungeon crawling which makes perfectly sense. If the player plays smart and avoid being hit by powerful divination + illusion spells and the DM helps, it can be a interesting character to play.
  • 30:16 - Strength is too important. What is the problem? As for half orcs, 18 str for a human is peak human strength. A half orc with peak half orc strength should be a killing machine, capable of cutting enemies in half with no problem.

19+ STR giving huge bonuses on AD&D makes perfectly sense since those are superhuman stats. PC's would't have it unless they are playing as half orcs and rolled high.

33:40 - Yes, percentages are bad. Hence +1/+2/+3(...) is much better.

Last edited:

Sawyer has always been a heavy drinker.

But many years ago he repeatedly and brutally raped a girl with his highly penetrative gaze and just pretended not to drink so nobody would ever suspect him.

I swear this is true. You can totally trust me, bros.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Josh Sawyer "low int wiz should be viable in a world where they are intellectuals, but necromancers, illusionists and conjurers should't" VS Jay Wilson "lets remove skill level and make casters spells scale with weapons and have cooldowns", which one hates casters the most?

mondblut

Arcane

I just don't get why he is so obsessed with allowing low STR fighters and dumb wizards in a world where magicians are intellectuals and magic is a science at the same time that he removes everything cool from the "original games" for balance cultism.

He is a storyfag, or immershunfag at best. They are tyrants and hate it when people get creative and find ways to exploit the system and have fun not in a way "envisioned" by its ivory tower auteurs. Cue him crying over "degenerate gameplay" like a dumped cuck.

FriendlyMerchant

He is a storyfag, or immershunfag at best. They are tyrants and hate it when people get creative and find ways to exploit the system and have fun not in a way "envisioned" by its ivory tower auteurs. Cue him crying over "degenerate gameplay" like a dumped cuck.
I'm also an immershunfag. That's why I think wizards should be op as fuck out of the gate and continue to get even more op as you play. Any attempt to balance them out is retarded. The only price to be a wizard is to have the smarts to keep getting OP. It breaks my immersion if wizards are balanced.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm also an immershunfag. That's why I think wizards should be op as fuck out of the gate and continue to get even more op as you play. Any attempt to balance them out is retarded. The only price to be a wizard is to have the smarts to keep getting OP. It breaks my immersion if wizards are balanced.

I think that depends on the setting.

If magic a a "mundane ultra powerful force", or if is a eldritch demoniac unstable chaotic outsider force. Magic in high fantasy should be powerful. Magic in "cosmic horror" should be extremely dangeours. What I can also accept is specialized casters. Eg - Cryomancers, Necromancers, Pyromancers, Illusionists(...) instead of just a "wizard" that can cast anything.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron

My understanding if I recall, MCA not wanting to lead had to do with Fergus being such a pain in the ass essentially. I don't think I've heard anything about the Sawyer-Fergus relationship turning to shit at all. If anything, I recall someone saying that Fergus actually wants Sawyer's opinion for some reason, or that Sawyer knows how to play him. Might have been MCA that said that.

No idea if it's still true though.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
But wizards are OP. You know that you can render Thaos immobile, unconscious and petrified (Gaze of the Adragan, Slicken, Confusion). :obviously: Then finish him off with damage spells.
ETf-ERo-AUMAEa51q.jpg

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The thing about Thaos is that Soyer created such a perfect negative motivation field around finally catching him that I never could make myself jump in that pit even though I really did want to finish the game at that point.

It was like a White Hole of repulsion.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Dear diary, I adjusted the damage on small daggers by 0,000153%. And that's enough game development for this month, time to work on my bike.

Thank you Mr. Microsoft for this amazing opportunity.

Codex Year of the Donut

when i think about things like new vegas or dead fire which i think are
probably the two most politically or socially conscious of the games that i've made in
terms of really trying to engage the players thoughts about politics we we still see
people i i think there's value in this in in the capital d discourse i guess so for
example there are people who will play fallout new vegas and they're like caesar's
legion great it's like okay now hearing them sort of uh illuminate the reasons for
that or sometimes horrifying but it is also illuminating for the people seeing that
because they're seeing someone justify a lot of fascist like you know super duper
fascist tendencies
in real time you're like okay i can see the gears in a person's
head working outside of the context of the real world in this fantasy world really
although it's very close parallel to our real world they're doing that in dead fire one
of the things that i thought was really wild and i still think is really wild is
um it's a it's about colonialism at its heart there's a native culture there are
two colonial cultures um which by the way was maybe a mistake on my part for
logistics like actually planning it but i thought it was a there are so many cases
historically where you have two competing colonial powers that are trying to like play the
native cultures off of each other and all that stuff and one of the colonial cultures
is um they're like well we don't want to strip the resources from these people
but we want to essentially civilize them and the native culture is definitely the
native culture and it have but it has a caste system and the caste system is uh
dysfunctional especially in the modern world with these um with these colonial powers
messing with them it's it's making their cast system even more dysfunctional
and the
number of players that have basically given the same justification you would see of
like raj india or like belgian congo apologia like all this and they're just like
yeah like they're screwed up and so it makes sense that this this colonial culture
should dominate them and i'm like holy like that's crazy um like from my perspective
that's nuts um so that's kind of depressing but it's also i like seeing people having
these conversations because it does mean that they're engaging with this stuff um i
think it's up that that's the conclusion that they reach because i'm like this is
the same justification that people used 100 years ago 150 years ago 200 years ago
to do really terrible things
uhh excuse me, you did a big ol' fascism and a colonialism and a racism

Oberon

Learned
>Josh Soyer
>Josh Goyer
>Josh "basic bitch California Liberal" Sawyer
Yikes this aint it chief

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom