Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

NotSweeper

Educated
"wtf, I don't remember Stravinsky being jewish"
a41159ce4aa0453eb28571d6a5e1533035bff644.jpg

Kinda looks like my dad from his younger days a little bit if I squint.
Wait... does that mean I'm Jewish?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
As Helldivers 2 draws Metal Gear Solid 5 comparisons, Obsidian RPG master Josh Sawyer says "more games should just directly copy stuff that feels good"

https://www.gamesradar.com/as-helld...uld-just-directly-copy-stuff-that-feels-good/
"I’m not kidding when I say more games should just directly copy stuff that feels good from games they like and then riff from there,"
"The act of copying something requires you to do a lot of critical analysis and it’s extremely informative even if you scrap everything and start over," Sawyer adds.

j-e-sawyer-I.png

Uhh, isn't that what developers have always done?

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Uhh, isn't that what developers have always done?
Makes sense that Josh Sawyer just discovered that you could just copy shit that worked great and was fun in other games when he tried to reinvent the wheel with his kikestarted POE instead of going for the decline but not as bad precedents set already with the IE games.

The only reason this thread still get bumped is because (((Infinitron))) is the (((Lex Friedman))) of forum spam and thinks it's very important that everyone hear about his fellow Baalinites' latest bowel movement. But since I'm here I thought I'd be interesting to take a look back at the supposed greats that had a lot of promise and where they ended up. It wasn't that long ago that you had names like George Zeits and MCA attached to kikestarter campaigns and half the Codex was jizzing at the prospect of an RPG renaissance. George Zeits worked on Mask of the Betrayer and then did nothing of note, and I hear that he started a company now so he can be even more efficient at not writing and not making video games. Avellone was banished to the shadow realm after sending cringe phone messages to a co-worker while drunk and was accused of tasteful rape, even before that I'm pretty sure he got scammed out of fat Microsoft money by Feargus and only did commission work and was attached to abysmal projects. Supposedly bigger names like Tim Cain decided to become professional gaytuber podcasters after teaming up with Obshitian to make space nigger propaganda, while Richard Garriott that faggot made an MMO scam game.

Somewhere in this shitshow you got the one hooknose history nerd that always championed Darklands but without any great games behind him. He might have made Icewind Dale 2, a game about his racemixing rape fetish, but at the time he was always the guy I wondered about what he'd make if he finally got the freedom to do a rare historical game and escape the orcs and goblins sweatshop so many devs are chained to. When he got a chance to lead a crowdfunded project free from publisher restraints that the devs were free to take in just about any direction they wanted as long as they delivered on the promised Infinity Engine format he probably got the role because he was known as a hatchetman that would get things done as shown by his involvement on NWN2. On paper he did a good job in regards to what businessmen want to see, he delivered it on time, without scope creep, the game wasn't particularly buggy and it seems to have been done within budget restrictions from what I've read about it. The single problem is that the game was dogshit.

The setting was the most uninspired shit imaginable, the systems were worse than late stage D&D slop and even something as bad as BG3 manages to be better than the anti-fun homebrew retard proof system he came up with. After audiences figured out they had zero intentions of delivering on classic styled games, let alone something fresh and new, and decided not to get the sequel the guy got so butthurt he quit the RPG genre.

It's pretty fucking insane that the guy Codexers had hoped would deliver Darklands 2 to them was after this period going around the Obsidian offices begging to be replaced by a nigger when he wasn't being pegged by Kate Dollarhyde, simping and thristing for internet whores on twitter all day (was that Hoetaku presstitute one of them?) and that after he got his Microshaft trampstamp and was handed the opportunity to make his historical dream game we got an anti-Christian preachy CYOA flash game about feminism and niggers.

Now he's presenting himself as this sage video game developer Tim Cain style (Tim is a programmer and most of the games he worked on were buggy pieces of shit, the art and writing always carried them) and giving people this important lesson that copying what works is clever actually.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Replacing... a cord?

Can he get more desperate for attention?
What else does he have to do?

You can feel the hole he's trying to fill where a family and intimate relationship would go in posts like that.
I've been saying the same years ago. Sooner or later, without new experiences in life, any writer, DM, artist, or whatever, just has nothing to draw on. He is exhausted, he has parked his worldview and mindset at some past point in time and can't move forward. Stuck in a "young adult" frame of thinking and seeing the world, as time goes by, and he is farther and farther from physically matching that mindset that he is stuck in, as he ages. If you think that's tragic happening to a game dev, imagine the tragedy of millions if single men whose hobby was gaming and they just never found the time to lead the kind of (normal) life which would have eventually led to them meeting a right girl.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He hasn't been with his Jewish girlfriend
For fear of being shunned by his twitter friends?
No, they broke up around Pillars of Eternity's release. He had a short-lasting rebound with a New Vegas QA tester then got another girlfriend eventually. Haven't paid much attention to him since.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom