Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

Drakortha

Liturgist
You said it easily pleased normies like F3 did, which wasn't true. Sure, the trailers got them to buy it but they didn't enjoy it. It was too different.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Deadfire didn't have a long tail. It flopped so hard that more people are playing the first Pillars right now.
You don't seem to understand what long tail means. The fact that its player count is just a bit under PoE's despite having a lower maximum player count is proof of the long tail. A slow-but-consistent seller that eventually made a profit.

Viata

Arcane
PoE 1 was so bad it will take some time for people to give PoE 2 a try. I did like it when I played it, but shitty notebook + Unity (which means long loadings) made me drop the game. But it was far more interesting than the first game (which I bought on release and never finished it kek).

Cross

Arcane
Deadfire didn't have a long tail. It flopped so hard that more people are playing the first Pillars right now.
You don't seem to understand what long tail means. The fact that its player count is just a bit under PoE's despite having a lower maximum player count is proof of the long tail. A slow-but-consistent seller that eventually made a profit.
You don't seem to understand that sequels, by being the more recent entry in a series, should have more active players by default.

For example:

BSaEH6M.png

x3QIFoE.png

Deadfire fails this basic test, because it was a massive flop. The first game only sold well because Kickstarter hype and false promises. Naturally, people steered clear of the sequel.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You don't seem to understand that sequels, by being the more recent entry in a series, should have more active players by default.
Look at the maximum player count on Wrath.

Deadfire fails this basic test, because it was a massive flop.
On release. Not anymore.

The man bought an expensive watch with the bonus he got from Deadfire's eventual success.

Cross

Arcane
Look at the maximum player count on Wrath.
That actually proves my point. Wrath's maximum player count is only double Deadfire's, but the amount of active players is more than 5 times that of Deadfire. Wrath has better player retention and a longer tail than Deadfire, contrary to your claims.

On release. Not anymore.
That tweet is from a few months ago. Breaking even half a decade after release isn't the success story you think it is. And Deadfire was crowdfunded, which makes it even worse.

The fact that he engraved that on his watch is further proof that it flopped. That's some massive cope.

Last edited:

For example:

BSaEH6M.png

x3QIFoE.png

Deadfire fails this basic test, because it was a massive flop. The first game only sold well because Kickstarter hype and false promises. Naturally, people steered clear of the sequel.
I'd say Roguey is still somewhat correct. Deadfire is "POE2", WotR is not (even if it's technically a sequel). Plus, they do have the benefit of a license, as niche as Pathfinder might be. I think some people are starting to give PoE1 a chance, it's almost a decade since it came out and therefore it qualifies as retro now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That tweet is from a few months ago. Breaking even half a decade after release isn't the success story you think it is.

The fact that he engraved that on his watch is further proof that it flopped. That's some massive cope.
What I actually said:
Deadfire's long tail eventually vindicated his choices.

Obsidian Entertainment and Sawyer have concluded that Deadfire's underperformance was a marketing failure. If it was a truly bad game, it would have never turned a profit. Like Alpha Protocol which can't even be bought anymore because it didn't even make enough to justify renewing the rights to Turn Up the Radio after its 10-year license went up.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think if Sawyer were to go freelance, he'd be in demand as a "fixer" providing advice on how to manage projects and prevent scope creep and so on, not so much as a "celebrity contributor" like Avellone (although I guess somebody trying to appeal to New Vegas fans might find value in that as well).

Being the actual lead systems designer of a game probably isn't something you can do as a part-time freelancer.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Long tail compared to its pinhead.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
That tweet is from a few months ago. Breaking even half a decade after release isn't the success story you think it is.

What I actually said:
Deadfire's long tail eventually vindicated his choices.

Obsidian Entertainment and Sawyer have concluded that Deadfire's underperformance was a marketing failure. If it was a truly bad game, it would have never turned a profit. Like Alpha Protocol which can't even be bought anymore because it didn't even make enough to justify renewing the rights to Turn Up the Radio after its 10-year license went up.
Was the faceroll release dictated by marketing?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Was the faceroll release dictated by marketing?
Deadfire targeted a larger and thus more casual audience.

When it came to Pillars of Eternity his attitude was
The game is being designed for relatively high difficulty at first and later tuned down for lower levels of difficulty. It's easier to lower difficulty from a high bar than to raise it from a shallow baseline.

With Deadfire it was
“When Deadfire came out, we erred a little—or a lot, depending on what your play style is—it being too easy,” said Sawyer. By the time Deadfire launched on May 8 of 2018, wheels were already in motion on rolling out patches that would increase difficulty for players. “I said, ‘Well, between too easy and too hard, I'd rather err on the side of too easy, and tune up from there,’” Sawyer continued.

They are ultimately not interested and not very good at making any kind of RPG tuned for the average Codexer.

Spukrian

Savant
(until cancellation).
Please elaborate. What did he do?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...wsuit-over-sexual-assault-accusations.146634/

TL;DR: Got accused of sexual assault, sued, won and cleared his name, supposedly got 2 mil(?) USD too.

It was a great bonding/vindication moment for the codex even though Avellone hasn't publicly visited us in years.

:excellent:
Well, what I meant was "What did Sawyer do?" because I'm up to speed with Avellone.

Gargaune

Magister
I wish more of you would take into account the concepts of financing and opportunity cost when discussing profitability. A "long tail" is a case of diminishing yields even before inflation becomes a factor, publishers assess profitability against specific dates and revenue targets for a reason. Otherwise, given a million years, fucking Redfall might earn more dollars than it cost, that won't mean it will have retroactively made a profit.

As for Deadfire, it was disappointing commercially (and not only), it was more expensive than Pillars and it sold less. Straight from the horse's mouth:
[...] I do think that the relatively low sales of Deadfire mean that if we consider making another Pillars game in this style, we’re going to have to re-examine the entire format of the game. [...] Pathfinder: Kingmaker, which generally had lower review scores than Deadfire, sold better than Deadfire and had RTwP combat. [...] I’m sure some of the people reading this think they know precisely why Deadfire sold worse than Pillars 1.

And guess what? The third "Pillars of Eternity" game is in a different "style", let alone format, and getting promoted primarily under a new brand, in case anyone's missed this here thread's title the title of that thread over there.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, what I meant was "What did Sawyer do?" because I'm up to speed with Avellone.
He existed in the past. Plenty of things a person with the will can use against him to end his career.

As for Deadfire, it was disappointing commercially (and not only), it was more expensive than Pillars and it sold less. Straight from the horse's mouth:
He wrote that before it made enough money to give him a nice bonus. Failures don't get bonuses. Sorry man but it's not 2018 anymore. Deadfire was a belated success.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom