Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Josh Sawyer plans to develop a historical RPG after his current project

Anac'raxus

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cant wait for balanced miracles

do you pray to saint emydius for +3% electrical resistance or saint michael for +1% critical hit chance?

I'd pray to Saint Mobility for endless kiting and sing the song of shield replenishment for 25% vampiric weapons, while I wait to summon Spam and Cheese the Ogre meat shields.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Praise Jesus!

On a more serious note: This could be their Fallout. Set it during the period of the Black Death. Fantasy elements would be superstition and whatever else they can make up.

Saduj

Arcane
When I say “historical RPG” I mean something set in Earth’s history – inclusive with fantastic variations

So when you say "historical" you mean "not historical".

Kz3r0

Arcane
I can't wait for an inclooosive band of atheist adventurers fighting superstition, patriarchy and islamophobia.

Barbarian

Arcane
Yes please. Never thought I would be interested in another project with Sawyer at the helm after the PoE fiasco, but I have always hoped for someone to at least try a something like darklands for a long time now.

On the other hand... this guy is known to be quite the sjw hipster right? Far from the honest and unbiased historian Hendrick was(the guy didn't give a fuck about PC and his game shows it). I hope he doesn't try to pull out some "smash the patriarchy" BS with trannies in the middle-ages or whatever. The fact that he mentioned Ars Magica is also a cause for concern because that shit sucks and is much more fantasy oriented than Darklands.

Aaaaand there is also the fact that hardly anyone with common sense will put stock at his competency as a designer at this point. PoE was really a mess. A very balanced mess, but a mess none the less. I hoped he learned a few lessons from his failures.

Trashos

Arcane
Praise Jesus!

On a more serious note: This could be their Fallout. Set it during the period of the Black Death. Fantasy elements would be superstition and whatever else they can make up.

Yeah, no.

Sometimes I think about what could be Obsidian's Fallout break, and can't think of anything related to what I have played by them.

A *polished* Alpha Protocol-like game might fit the bill, but I am just judging it by the info on its wikipedia page. It sure seems impressive on paper.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's as historical as ASOIAF.

That would be wrong because that series takes place in a made-up place with its own made-up history. Darklands takes place in medieval Germany, only there are fantastic elements.

Barbarian

Arcane
One thing to keep in mind is that I assume only people with an IQ above room temperature play and appreciate Darklands.

It was a game that took its setting seriously and demanded that the player be a devout Christian in order to succeed(because the setting itself depicted a medieval Christian worldview to the letter, duh). Imagine the butthurt something like that would cause in this day and age. Hendrick himself and most people who play and enjoy the game are hardly religious, but mostly people sensible and intelligent enough to understand things such as context and the fact that the very premise of the game's setting is to depict a version of late medieval europe were most folklore(religious and otherwise) was real.

Will Sawyer ever do something like that? I doubt it. If he tries a similar premise I presume he will compromise a lot.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

That would be wrong because that series takes place in a made-up place with its own made-up history. Darklands takes place in medieval Germany, only there are fantastic elements.
Any place with magic and monsters needs madeu-up history.

Darklands is an extremely historically accurate game.

You know what else is historical and fantastic? The Bible.

Fairfax

Arcane

Any place with magic and monsters needs madeu-up history.

Darklands is an extremely historically accurate game.

You know what else is historical and fantastic? The Bible.
:edgy:

Fairfax

Arcane
I sure did. Never seen such a strong case against Christianity.

Fry

Arcane
It was a game that took its setting seriously and demanded that the player be a devout Christian in order to succeed

Uh... huh? Understanding and believing are two different things.

Will Sawyer ever do something like that? I doubt it. If he tries a similar premise I presume he will compromise a lot.p

If you don't think he'd love to try a straight-up no-compromises Darklands sequel, you haven't been paying attention. I don't think he'll ever have the chance to do it, though. Despite what Feargus might be saying in the abstract, when it comes right down to funding a game that is basically guaranteed to sell about 100 copies, he won't allow it.

I enjoyed Darklands, and love historical games, but Darklands was better in terms of having novel and interesting ideas and its potential than in terms of the quality of the actual gameplay. It's towns, encounters, events and general gameplay all too quickly devolved into a repetition of a relatively small number of actions. What I would absolutely love, on the other hand, would be a huge sandbox world set in the Holy Roman Empire where you can roam around and participate in various aspects of medieval life, but in a more direct and interesting way. Kingdom Come is kinda like that, but is a smaller, more directed game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What I would absolutely love, on the other hand, would be a huge sandbox world set in the Holy Roman Empire where you can roam around and participate in various aspects of medieval life, but in a more direct and interesting way.

Sounds like The Guild 2 with some mods thrown in.

Barbarian

Arcane
It was a game that took its setting seriously and demanded that the player be a devout Christian in order to succeed

Uh... huh? Understanding and believing are two different things.

That was actually a typo, I meant something to the effect of "demanded that the player character be a devout Christian in order to succeed". Which is true off course, every "unchristian" option you took resulted in loss for the player, even when logically there could be a gain(i.e: making a pact with satan for stat boosts or wealth). You even got punished for morally righteous things, such as refusing to give up your wealth to corrupt clergy, just because it went against religious practice and popular belief at the time.

If you don't think he'd love to try a straight-up no-compromises Darklands sequel, you haven't been paying attention. I don't think he'll ever have the chance to do it, though. Despite what Feargus might be saying in the abstract, when it comes right down to funding a game that is basically guaranteed to sell about 100 copies, he won't allow it.

Yeah, I don't think there is much popular demand for a game like this, and like I just said, if he actually pulled a darklands this day and age there would be legions of sjw creeps up in arms expressing their butthurt. Remember CK2 has butthurt sjw trolls whining about the game to this day(even after the devs decided to honor their swedish origins and have been "cucking" the game over and over to suit sjw mentality).

Not sure on the part of "no-compromises" though. Isn't Sawyer established to be quite the sjw?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom