Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Still believing that every player should be rewarded for every choice, huh? Not a learning animal.

dutchwench

Novice
Considering what's popular in the vidgame industry and the popular trends, it felt refreshing to hear a vidgame guy say "you can turn my game into a TV series, but I made it a game for a reason". That was almost cool of you, Josh. I hope that if I put you on my banner you won't end up like Saint Waidwen.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I live in an old house with a weak power network and the landlord isn't interested in updating a) the electrical system b) the insulation. I do have AC in a few rooms but this one poses some difficulties the others don't.

$250k/year salary and he suffers in the summer heat. I can't believe I live more comfortably than Josh.

Sawyer confirmed that Obsidian talked about Pillars 3 after BG3, but the price of competing with it scared them off.

He's open to directing another Fallout project of course.

MjKorz

Educated
Surprising he's not already working on it. Bethesda will be too busy with TES6 for the foreseeable half a decade or maybe even a full decade and the suits will want to capitalize on the Fallout TV show and make an interim Fallout title until Bethesda can make the next big one, which is where Sawyer comes in. Toddler would try to block this, of course, but Toddler bows to Microsoft and doesn't decide anything anymore.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Surprising he's not already working on it. Bethesda will be too busy with TES6 for the foreseeable half a decade or maybe even a full decade and the suits will want to capitalize on the Fallout TV show and make an interim Fallout title until Bethesda can make the next big one, which is where Sawyer comes in. Toddler would try to block this, of course, but Toddler bows to Microsoft and doesn't decide anything anymore.
Avellone says Todd was always in Obsidian's corner, it was other people in Bethesda's top management who didn't like it.

MjKorz

Educated
Avellone says Todd was always in Obsidian's corner, it was other people in Bethesda's top management who didn't like it.
Wtf I love Toddler now. No homo.

scytheavatar

Scholar

Microsoft can ask Obsidian to make a Fallout game if they want it to be post apocalypse version of Avowed........ realistically if they want to make a Fallout game of respectable scale and scope they'll have no choice but to give it to one of the Call of Duty studios. Would Josh even leave Obsidian to work for these other studios?

MjKorz

Educated
Microsoft can ask Obsidian to make a Fallout game if they want it to be on the scale of Avowed........ realistically if they want to make a Fallout game of respectable scale and scope they'll have no choice but to give it to one of the Call of Duty studios. Would Josh even leave Obsidian to work for these other studios?
The game I have in mind would be a stand-in for the next big Fallout game that would be made by Bethesda, it wouldn't have to be of the same scope as Bethesda Fallouts. Obsidian have a proven track record of making both good RPGs and an amazing Fallout title with Sawyer at the helm, it would be foolish to give it to anyone else.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Microsoft can ask Obsidian to make a Fallout game if they want it to be post apocalypse version of Avowed........ realistically if they want to make a Fallout game of respectable scale and scope they'll have no choice but to give it to one of the Call of Duty studios. Would Josh even leave Obsidian to work for these other studios?
Why would it be Avowed, they'd be using Bethesda's engine and tools, just like they did for New Vegas.

scytheavatar

Scholar
LOL some of you folks don't seem to realize the Obsidian that made New Vegas is dead and current Obsidian is a very different studio........ like why would they make a better game with shitty Creation Engine than Unreal?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
LOL some of you folks don't seem to realize the Obsidian that made New Vegas is dead and current Obsidian is a very different studio........ like why would they make a better game with shitty Creation Engine than Unreal?
Writing is a lost cause, but they can make another open world game in Creation with no problem. Look at Fallout London, amateur modders can do it.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Writing is a lost cause, but they can make another open world game in Creation with no problem. Look at Fallout London, amateur modders can do it.

If Fallout London was released as a standalone game by Obsidian instead of a mod, do you think people would have loved it and called it a great game? Like sure they can make another open world game in Creation but can they actually make one that will be fun to play?

Quillon

Arcane
why would they make a better game with shitty Creation Engine than Unreal?
because its in the dna of 3D fallout games, UE game fallout wannabe TOW suffered for not having gamebyro-like features and look at warhorse studious; they made KCD1 in around 3-4 years with such features implemented into cryengine(they say it is similar to unreal) which in the end was buggy/clunky, we'll see hopefully a much better implementation in KCD2 after around 6 more years of development

that said bethesda themselves removed some features from their engine for shitfield so...

Bulo

Scholar
Sawyer is a good game director. A Fallout game under him would have, at the very least, consistent tonal and aesthetic direction and rigorous systemisation

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
And to make a fun Fallout game you don't need great writing, you just need great reactivity and level design.
You can make a great game without good writing.

You can't make a great game with horrible, cringe nu-writing.

Half the games I try now are decent mechanically but facepalm material 4 minutes in. Games are dead and its the writers that killed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom