Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

jf8350143

Liturgist
I like how he talks about BG 3's romance and says it's not something he would do and what he would do probably won't be enjoyable for the main stream auidences.

Though what he did with deadfire's romance isn't really that great.(Though still miles better than BG3).

scytheavatar

Scholar
He was quite honest with all the not getting bg3 audience and what they want.
The BG3 audience themselves don't even know. They simply saw a bandwagon and jumped on it so they'd feel included with the current new thing on reddit and discord or whatever.

The most incredible thing about BG3 was that Larian managed to scam people into thinking the game is the next Witcher 3/Skyrim. Even though it has been in early access for years and Larian couldn't hide what the game actually is like to play. That Josh Sawyer couldn't get this probably shows why Obsidian is destined to survive in obscurity.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Liked the video. He was up front and shared his thoughts. Also I was not aware Avowed was Fergus' idea and came around at the end of Deadfire. Of which Sawyer was just too burned out and so was not involved in Avowed. And in general he doesn't care for (modern) rpg's and the way they approach romance. :salute:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
There is no such thing as "a great game" without a good writing, good writing is one of the requirement of a game to be great.

Chess.

Tetris.

Even if we're talking about RPGs there are plenty of examples of good games without "good" writing such as Battle Brothers, where you can describe the prose as functional at best.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Liked the video. He was up front and shared his thoughts. Also I was not aware Avowed was Fergus' idea and came around at the end of Deadfire. Of which Sawyer was just too burned out and so was not involved in Avowed. And in general he doesn't care for (modern) rpg's and the way they approach romance. :salute:

It makes you question if Sawyer would want to do a new Fallout game even if it was offered to him. And if he is not involved what are the chances that a new Obsidian Fallout game would be better than Avowed?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I thought it was a pretty good video, liked a lot of his answers, and agreed with a few too. It doesn't give me any greater optimism for future Obsidian releases, but tbh, that ship sailed a long time ago and ended up in a 'muh colonization' setting anyway.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Even if we're talking about RPGs there are plenty of examples of good games without "good" writing such as Battle Brothers, where you can describe the prose as functional at best.
There are a multitude of good and great CRPGs where the amount of writing is scanty, if not entirely nonexistent, including such exemplars as Dungeon Master.

ZLWqa3N.jpg

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I like how he talks about BG 3's romance and says it's not something he would do and what he would do probably won't be enjoyable for the main stream auidences.

Though what he did with deadfire's romance isn't really that great.(Though still miles better than BG3).
Deadfire's romance was clearly not made with a lot of heart behind it. While BG3 actually tries and I honestly , it isn't all that good or have much content but somehow people went crazy over.

The cinematic and voice acting do the heavy lifting for them. I just hope other devs don't feel like turning their games into a date sim , like Bioware, is really necessary.

MjKorz

Educated
Deadfire's romance was clearly not made with a lot of heart behind it. While BG3 actually tries
Deadfire and BG3 romances are very different. BG3 is the typical wish fulfillment power fantasy for horny incels. Deadfire tries to present relationships in a more realistic, toned-down fashion - something that is very evident from the way Deadfire handles romance endings where romanced companions end up balancing their duties with their romantic involvements and in many cases this does not end well.

Vyvian

Educated
Deadfire's romance was clearly not made with a lot of heart behind it. While BG3 actually tries
Deadfire and BG3 romances are very different. BG3 is the typical wish fulfillment power fantasy for horny incels. Deadfire tries to present relationships in a more realistic, toned-down fashion - something that is very evident from the way Deadfire handles romance endings where romanced companions end up balancing their duties with their romantic involvements and in many cases this does not end well.
Only masochist lunatics want real life style romance in their fantasy games. They want the fantasy just like with every other aspect of the game needs to be fantasy.
It's like if you wanted fire spells to singe your hands for HP damage every time you cast, in theory it's a good and interesting idea but in practice it is not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom