Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

dutchwench

Novice
It's not stalking, it's just [Tracking] - a skill Sawyer featured prominently in several interactions in Icewind Dale, mind you.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Yet somehow it never works out for him in practice.
It always works out for him in terms of his games being good.

that's why his only project in 6 years was a Java game about history.
The game that has 95% positive rating on Steam with 6k reviews. Was that supposed to be an insult? :lol:

Its a good... 'game'

just not much gameplay to speak of+M

Artyoan

Prophet
I wouldn't want, or wouldn't put emphasis on, romances. The pressure to do so would be overwhelming though. Seems to pick up a large progressive and obsessive audience that otherwise won't be interested. Also, the free form, low balance nature of Larian games would drive him insane. He would maintain a tighter grip to prevent breaking the game, for better or worse.

Even if we enjoy making fun of him, all of us would be interested to see what he would come up with.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
All mainstream devs are super out of touch with what current audiences want. That's why you see these abominations in the industry today.

Ah yes, Avowed is totally betting the farm on romances with a fish man and an ugly ferretwoman who tells you how sexy and pansexual she is on first click.

.... oh fuck that's exactly what they're doing isn't it? What the fuck is wrong with this dev generation?

1723906964966.png

Bulo

Scholar
As per usual, Josh is right. The "I should be able to go anywhere I choose and do anything I want" attitude is how you get to a game like Skyrim

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's not like you can't go north at the start of New Vegas. You just can't do it without any friction. Bethesda fans don't like friction in their games.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
World with dangerous areas > world that has flat difficulty with level-scaling.

Pretty elementary stuff in RPG world at this point.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
All mainstream devs are super out of touch with what current audiences want. That's why you see these abominations in the industry today.

Ah yes, Avowed is totally betting the farm on romances with a fish man and an ugly ferretwoman who tells you how sexy and pansexual she is on first click.

.... oh fuck that's exactly what they're doing isn't it? What the fuck is wrong with this dev generation?

View attachment 53886
Avowed doesn't have player romances, because much like everything else, they were deemed too ambitious to do. Which is probably one of the rare times where their 'do less, and then warn everyone to further lower expectations' approach has actually worked on our behalf.

Drakortha

Liturgist
As per usual, Josh is right. The "I should be able to go anywhere I choose and do anything I want" attitude is how you get to a game like Skyrim
But without it, we won't get to see Todd walk out onto a stage and give us his classic "be who you want, do what you want" sales pitch.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesda fans don't like friction in their games.

Explains the physics bugs.

World with dangerous areas > world that has flat difficulty with level-scaling.

I think few people liked that approach even here, but personally i liked the way ELEX's world is designed in terms of difficulty: instead of having clearly separated "easy" (or whatever is "easy" in ELEX anyway) and "hard" areas, you get a somewhat random spread of difficulty with stupidly hard monsters placed right next to easy ones - this creates a sense of uncertainty about if what you'll encounter next. It isn't completely random, just not predictable enough (like "easy near starting areas, hard out of the beaten path" and other similar tropes) to keep you on your toes.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sawyer was never obsessed with balance, he was obsessed with accessibility

Probably it stems from some tabletop trauma of his

Harthwain

Magister
Technically this is also true for Morrowind. Although in Morrowind it is possible for enemies to be stronger than you so that can keep you in check for a bit. You should also mention Oblivion as it introduced "enemies scale with you" mechanic, which helped the "I should be able to go anywhere I choose and do anything I want". Skyrim, for all its faults, is a bit better in this aspect than Oblivion was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom