Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Butter

Arcane
Patron
He must look back at his BIS days and cringe thinking about how male the company was, overlooking that they also produced better games than Obsidian.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
News at 11. Corporate management in modern creative companies are hacks that try to go for the lowest common denominator to get a better bottom line.

Yes, most of them are male, like most management teams in any big corporation.

Would female corporate management in creative companies do differently? Arguable. That they are in a management position usually means that they are mostly the same, characteristic wise.

And yet the Codex argues in TOW thread that muh men should be "Calculating, rational, and competent" while muh women are all "emotional and shouldn't be pictured as cold and competent as men"

In this case, Josh assessment is in line with what you guys are expecting, no? That, of course, the guys are all going to have as low as standard possible on creative writing, because really, those are the one actually making big bucks. Appealing to those lowest common denominators is what "calculating, rational, and competent" corporate management team would do because it will make more money. Meanwhile, the more "emotional, less competent" women should care more about the "art".

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Men take more risks than women do. Men like to be on the cutting edge, and women like to follow the herd. If you had to pick a group of people that would be more creative, you'd pick the 100% male group before the 100% female group. In this case, Sawyer was probably talking to suits who aren't even involved in the creative aspects of making video games, and only care about revenue figures.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Men take more risks than women do. Men like to be on the cutting edge, and women like to follow the herd. If you had to pick a group of people that would be more creative, you'd pick the 100% male group before the 100% female group. In this case, Sawyer was probably talking to suits who aren't even involved in the creative aspects of making video games, and only care about revenue figures.

That's the point, you dullard. Those corporate executives type are not the kind that is involved in creative aspects. Those "competent, rational, calculating" corporate men care only for revenue figures.

The more romantic and emotional women might act differently on the creative process. Arguable, of course, as a management position in a company is mostly the same, especially the higher you go.

What those 4 guys are all within the expectation of what "competent, rational, calculating" men would do. Artsy creative products that don't sell won't do shit for big companies. The only important thing is the bottom line, not how "creative" you are.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure how you can be this thick. Sawyer evidently thought he would be interviewed by writers when applying for a writing job (as is the standard). There was no reason for him to assume he'd be talking to suits, and every reason to assume they'd possess a modicum of creativity. Your "newsflash" bit just makes you look clueless.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Female brain matures at 12-14. Male matures more fully.

The rest is commentary.

Men sprain their brain on that fact out of nothing more than simple narcissism. Women aren't men.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Sawyer evidently thought he would be interviewed by writers when applying for a writing job (as is the standard).

I honestly don't get that information on the tweet alone. I am expecting a Lead Writer (which will dictate what content a product will have, narratively) will, of course, be interviewed by suits. He is not applying as a dialogue writer or a lower-level writing job. I guess there is Creative Director or whatever above a Lead Writer that would probably be involved in the writing process, but I am fully expecting Suits will be making the decision on him being hired or not for such a supervisory/lead position.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Corporate management in modern creative companies are hacks that try to go for the lowest common denominator

Low by what standard? Are you trying to impose your morality on them?

Low as in "immediately dive into the most obvious pop culture touchstones that everyone references" per Josh tweet. Perhaps low is not the correct word. Probably you can have a better word for it? Unreactive?

Desiderius

Patron
Corporate management in modern creative companies are hacks that try to go for the lowest common denominator

Low by what standard? Are you trying to impose your morality on them?

Low as in "immediately dive into the most obvious pop culture touchstones that everyone references" per Josh tweet. Perhaps low is not the correct word. Probably you can have a better word for it? Unreactive?

No, low is exactly right. Pointing out that worm of nonjudgmentalism that has nearly finished the entire apple at this point. You and the suits are on the same side of that fight. Time to realize it, better late than never.

deuxhero

Arcane
Someone ask him the following:
In New Vegas the Gun Runners say their energy weapon shipments got attacked so they stopped making them, then they speculate it was the Brotherhood of Steel. Was this supposed to actually indicate the Brotherhood was behind it, or was it supposed to tie into Cass's quest where it's actually the Van Graffs?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Someone ask him the following:
In New Vegas the Gun Runners say their energy weapon shipments got attacked so they stopped making them, then they speculate it was the Brotherhood of Steel. Was this supposed to actually indicate the Brotherhood was behind it, or was it supposed to tie into Cass's quest where it's actually the Van Graffs?

Answered years ago.

I believe the implication is that the BoS did it.
Why would the BoS attack the Gun Runners for dealing energy weapons, but not the Van Graffs?

Van Graffs bring their EWs in from the north.

Trashos

Arcane
I believe the implication is that the BoS did it.
Why would the BoS attack the Gun Runners for dealing energy weapons, but not the Van Graffs?

Van Graffs bring their EWs in from the north.

Van Graffs may bring their weapons from the north, but they are also in the business of cutting the throats of their competition (as in the case of Cass). This is interesting info, but is there anything in-game that indicates that it was not the Van Graffs?

On the contrary, in-game we see that the Van Graffs have attacked Cassidy's caravans, while the BoS have retreated into their bunker and do not even have a good grasp of what is going on outside. (although, OK, maybe the attacks on the Gunrunners were before the retreat)

What I am trying to say is that, unless I have missed some dialogue somewhere, the game itself leaves the answer completely open to interpretation, and there is no in-game implication that it was the BoS. The only such implication I have found is that, when the player is told the story, the attacker is called "sophisticated enough to know which is which", and I guess the BoS are much more sophisticated than the Van Graffs. But it is nowhere near damning.

On the other hand, the Van Graffs brother makes a comment (when giving the Cass quest) that there is another loose end they need to tie, and I always assumed that the first loose end was the Gunrunners.

Anyway, this was interesting info.

Desiderius

Patron
I have it on good authority that “Vancian” is Phlanish for “pre-buffing.” And also “not all that balanced but also not really sweating it that much.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom