Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Avarize

Magister
Correct me if I'm wrong but Sawyer doesn't actually code himself right?

Flying Dutchman

Learned
He codes, but only in emulating human behaviors through design tables and charts.

Unfortunately, like any autist (or sociopath), they can only observe, quantify, and attempt to understand and emulate human emotion in a realistic manner... but since they never truly understand human emotion, the end result is flawed.

Sawyer codes fun through design but does not understand what humans think is fun, thus bringing the Debuff of the Uncanny Valley to all he touches.

He brings balance to the code.

This would have been far more interesting that Revenge of the Sith. Maybe Revenge of the Sys. Or Cis.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
He codes, but only in emulating human behaviors through design tables and charts.

Unfortunately, like any autist (or sociopath), they can only observe, quantify, and attempt to understand and emulate human emotion in a realistic manner... but since they never truly understand human emotion, the end result is flawed.
I think he nailed it in Deadfire.

iu

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected

Relevant video regarding these

And interesting comments

Tgspy312
As a note, we recently also learned that the billboards used on the strip are actually a major cause of performance hits. They're extremely poorly optimised with dozens of materials and therefore draw calls per mesh. Whilst I can't speak for the obsidian guys, I have a slight suspicion that this was never caught before release, which is why the strip still performs poorly to this day.

EDIT: On top of this, there lies an option in the rendering code that causes increased ram usage overall. Textures are mirrored into system ram rather than lying entirely on the GPU VRAM. This was rectified on some user mods like new vegas tick fix or more crudly, ENBoost.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Freeside is even more broken than the Strip. They hired Oscuro but he's only one man.

Robber Baron

Savant
Were Obsidian really lazy with Gamebryo or were they given limited tools to work with it aka the Construction Set level editor that comes with it?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Game Brrrryoyooyoyyoo is a S H I T engine, rivaling that of Unity, whilst unity actually has it beat on multiple levels.

they had to work with what they got in the time frame they got it from beth. despite all that, new vegas still came out quite gud

Robber Baron

Savant
Gamebryo is actually a pretty impressive engine, considering that it tracks the location and status of thousands of interactable objects. Unity will literally die on itself if tasked with processing so much objects.

purupuru

Learned
I clearly remember Sawyer saying Gamebryo is the "easiest to create content with" among all the engines he worked with, and this was a major reason they were able to finish FNV with the limited time there was.

Robber Baron

Savant
No shit, it has the perfect level editor and you can create new assets by literally dragging model files into viewport and all that with literally zero lag while updating scenes with thousands of objects.

Quillon

Arcane
So they actually had no idea what they were doing and never hired anyone who knew in depth coding? Despite knowing it was a problem?

Its also Bettesda's fault, why not send 1 dude over who knows the engine's whatevers. Its their game after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom