Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer's Pillars of Eternity Tabletop RPG

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Their tabletop games always sound better written and designed than the computer one lol.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

crazyrobot.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"I started the system out at this way, but decided to change it to something radically different" The Sawyer method.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/190807758566/hey-i-had-a-lot-of-questions-about-the-poe-ttrpg

allnighterramblings asked:

Hey, I had a lot of questions about the PoE TTRPG since I'm really interested, and I was told you would probably be the best source of information. Are there any resources currently out other than the start guide dated May 8th, 2019? If I started up a game, would you be interested in any feedback I might have, if so where would I send it? Finally, since characters limits are restricting, if you’d humor me I have rules questions about the pdf: imgur. com/a/s6wt9Jr

I am still making revisions for the next major update to the TTRPG rules. My goal is to have the revisions done by late March with a public update coming out “shortly” after that.

Regarding your questions:

64671a16d3b69d5fd35ec7ed4854f106075a2688.png

1) I actually don’t know why I would format a formula like that. In any case, Max Endurance and Max Health aren’t calculated that way anymore.

2) I need to define “session” in the rules, but yes, that would be one contiguous play session. It’s intentionally a little loose.

3) Transition costs have to do with moving between settings. If you’re born a Rural Child and then move to a Noble and Estate setting, your connections and available money improve at the cost of Free XP and years of time. The mechanical cost of aging isn’t usually felt at character creation, but will come later in a campaign as the character advances through the life phases listed in chapter 16.

4) Versus tests have been collapsed into obstacle tests. I’ll address ties in the next update.

5) Yes, you re-roll all of the dice involved in the check and you can make that decision after seeing your results.

6) Yes, the base power cost is being reduced. The powers and effects sections are being reorganized to not confuse first-time players/readers as much.

7) Yes.

8) “Short rest” has mechanical meaning but doesn’t have a mechanical definition. I am going to include Group Decision icons in the next revision to show when the group should just use its best judgment to determine the validity of something. This is one of those things. I could say something strict like “5 minutes” but I usually don’t find those are helpful, especially if there are a lot of circumstances where 5 minutes of “not combat” isn’t especially restful.

9) The only things that currently reduce Endurance are Soaking and Exert, which was introduced sometime last year. Exert is used for things like Charge. I will include more instances for Endurance loss in the next update.

10) Again, this is largely up to the GM and/or Group Decision. I could provide a definition of what an adventure is, but I’m pretty confident that if I never did, 99% of all GMs and groups would arrive at similar conclusions.

11) Not yet. I’m still building the bestiary, which will include creatures with levels and an idea for how to modify them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on earth does Josh Sawyer think that players want to manually simulate the effects of aging through dice rolls? I tend towards the more simple TTRPGs so maybe I'm just not the demographic for that sort of thing, but it just sounds like absolutely tedious inanity... like a lot of the rules and concepts in the Pillars of Eternity. Oy. What the hell happened to this guy? His work on Fallout: New Vegas made it a much better game than Fallout 3 in a gameplay sense (let alone the writing or quest design). Did he have a much smaller role in that than I was led to believe?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It fried my power source at release.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

We played PoE because it promised to be similar to old D&D videogames and we played it DESPITE its ruleset. I can't understand who the target of this rule system should be:
- D&D fans are not interested in a rule-intensive system like the one Josh is showing and, even if they are, they already have 3.5 and Pathfinder;
- PoE fans who aren't PnP players probably aren't interested in PnP at all.

Who is this game for, Josh? WHO?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom