Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Kerbal Space Program TWO, DOS, DEUX, ZWEI....

Discussion in 'Space Games' started by Riel, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    The devs (they're called Intercept Games now after the whole Take Two employee poaching shenanigans) released a video that is a bunch of highlights from in-development stuff they show off internally on Fridays.

The game (or in-engine) footage starts at around 25 seconds in:

Mostly animation show off plus the new incarnations of celestial objects from KSP 1, some shader/lighting effect show off, and some previously shown but maybe not in-game new planets.

Saturn-like rocky rings are shown and while the planet was shown in CGI trailer and named as Ovin, I think, this is the first time it was shown running ingame (even if in a test scene). Some of the bodies we already seen and some not shown previously in their KSP 2 versions, such as I think Vall and Bop, Gilly or Pol, now with a nice impact crater on it adding character to the captured lump of space rock.

Definitely Laythe also in there but it seems very much a WIP, considering how much more polished all the other bodies look like. Expected better for Laythe after all the others.

Also got a brief scene from one of the tutorial animations showing how those look in motion.

There's also some new dome type in there on one of the colonies and blinking lights on a station.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Massive podcast just dropped, with a ton of detail about KSP2.

http://forum.purdueseds.space/pspodcast/

Listening to it RN, with a lot to go, but I like what they're saying so far. They're clearly hardcore KSP fans and seem to be striking a good balance between playability/fun and realism.
    - 3-body physics are in for Rask and Rusk, but not elsewhere; reason being that full N-body would complicate gameplay too much (I agree)
    - Campaign gameplay is about building interplanetary and the interstellar infrastructure
    - Automated supply routes are in, in connection with the above
    - Interstellar transfers based on brachistochrone trajectories
    - Top-tier, endgame"torchships" can accelerate at 1G for very long periods of time
    - Moddability is a major focus, one example they're discussing is Reality Overhaul; they want to make it possible to do that more easily than in KSP1; also nods to a few prominent modders
    - Performance is a major focus
    - Solar sails, laser-driven interstellar craft, other spacecraft that are "not rockets" not in at release, but they'd like to do it as DLC
    - Heat management is a big deal in mid/late game, lots of radiator options
    - Simulations within the simulation to help design craft and missions, other ways to help design craft

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    I saw the forum post yesterday about the podcast, but wanted to first listen to the whole thing first before posting.

Mostly it is things they already mentioned, the automated supply routes (fly once to "prove" the route/craft to set it up) was already mentioned in PC gamer I think.

The only really new thing mentioned is that colonies will have "development phases", by which they meant that early on you will ship inflatable habitats or components from elsewhere via rocket, where as later on the colony will have industrial capacity and will need raw materials to build more advanced facilities.

They mentioned the colonies being simulated in the background, although I wouldn't expect anything more complex here than basic resource consumption for food, power, water. The answer given to the question on life support mechanics etc. they gave is that there will be more of it compared to the first game, but I think just looking at the farming dome parts already visible in some images one could have guessed as much.

There's some mention that the placement of the new stars/solar systems is connected to tech progression, so my guess is that reaching the far off ones with a crew might need something like cryogenics or whatever.

BTW there was some dev blog post on animations and kerbal models which was not so interesting, except that it mentioned a video coming soon so I guess we'll see some actual new details in the near future.

I am mostly interested in the depth of the resources system and ISRU and also in how the science system changed. They mentioned there will be more science, but without providing any details. Same also goes to the power generation for colonies, which was mentioned as something that supposedly is going to be more detailed or complex than one would think, but without any examples.

Also has a :obviously: mention of Nertea who made my currently favorite KSP near future mods.

^ Top  
  4. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    BTW new screenshots, apparently this was a test scene (explains the very flat ground) set up by one of the 3d artists to see how the colony parts look together in different light and what not.

The two pillar-like installations just behind the kerbals are for obtaining xenon, out of the atmosphere I guess. Look at the second to last screenshot, there's a kerbal on top of one for scale, the thing is huge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Twiglard Erudite

Twiglard
    This is BIG since Realism Overhaul has limitations in KSP. Scaling up the world adds imprecision with physics glitches (similar to Z-fighting but physical) and broken poles. KSP with RO leaks memory fast and after a few transitions between scenes (editor, main complex, flight, quickloads) I have to restart it (starts with 8-10 GB of RAM, ends with 23-ish). Restarting RO takes 3-4 minutes even when the data is fully cached into RAM. It's the worst problem with the game for me.

Then another performance issue is using multiple engines. Having 6-12 engines on RO craft makes the ingame time run 2-5 times slower. The RO plumes are all broken at low altitudes with multiple engines and I need to "disable collision" in SmokeScreen, which further tanks the framerate. I used to run an NK-33 booster on the later parts of the campaign.

Adding native n-body support means there won't be a need for Principia which has a bad UI (rendezvous, plan length, corrections) and a few critical bugs -- most notably tke scene transitions take longer later the ingame date.

RO is great given the campaign missions (stock barely has any and random missions are a grind), and actual complexity which stock KSP lacks. In fact I stopped playing KSP due to above aforementioned issues.

I didn't expect KSP 2 to address the actual RO issues. I'm hyped even despite the dev/publisher drama.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Twiglard Erudite

Twiglard
    In some KSP 1 news, Principia now has a rebase feature so that the user doesn't have to recreate the plan after executing a burn. The bug that lead to wobbliness when entering the atmosphere looks fixed. The "feature" that leads to longer scene transitions as time goes on, remains unfixed. I'm waiting on that last one. Time will tell whether new regressions are worse than the old bugs.

Principia devs can't get any solid, stable version done without constantly jerking off with new math mumbo-jumbo. And I'd even settle for simple point-mass n-body stuff if it was more stable.

RP-1 still only supports 1.8.1 but it's the largest fix in years. The stutter is greatly reduced.

I'm going to do an RP-1 science mode playthrough with KCT disabled sometime after the fix. Honestly I'm bored of the underdeveloped, yet annoying management system.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.