Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

notpl

Arbiter
Bleed/poison are both pretty underwhelming for exactly the reason you noticed, DoTs are just flatly inferior to killing things right now.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I have a preference for magic. Does it mean I have to go Old faith? If so, does it synergize better with Tyrant or Rightful?
Old-Faith is the choice for magic-focused playthrough, yes.

As for Tyrant vs Rightful - it's more a question if you want more Sages (Rightful) or other types (Tyrant). Since Old-Faith itself already comes with majority of Arcanists it's better to go for Tyrant, in my opinion. Additionally, Tyrant is believed to have more stronger heroes in general (Balin, Red Knight, Black Knight, Dagonet, Morgawse) whereas Rightful has fewer characters of note (Leodegrance, Guinevere, Lancelot).
Since Guinevere is Old Faith, he should be able to reach sufficiently loyalty with her regardless of his decisions on the Rightful/Tyranny alignment axis. From my experience in a Christian-Rightful playthrough, the only heroes with low loyalty were those with at least one alignment in opposition and also lacking any matching alignment. For the Christian-Rightful alignment, this meant only those who were just Old Faith, just Tyrannical, or both Old Faith and Tyrannical, whereas I could work with anyone at neutral, Old Faith and Righteous, Tyrannical and Christian, just Righteous, just Christian, and of course Christian and Rightful alignment.

Harthwain

Magister
Is bleed / poison stacking or stuff like toxic clouds actually worthwhile? I'm usually finding that on H/VH you want to kill or disable quickly rather than faff about with DOTs, and you're usually fighting many enemies over large maps.
Bleed has some niche uses - some characters (Red Knight, Vanguards) can deal +15% more damage to bleeding targets when combined with Assassination skill (Relentless Strikes give +20% damage against bleeding enemies). Blood Hex makes target deal 30% less damage when under effect of the spell.

By the way, Open Wound causes 15% bleeding damage from your weapon, and you can boost it further (Extra Bleeding - 50% weapon damage for bleeding effects), so if you have a heavy-hitting weapon (or a good item) it can be really worthwhile. I had a Fomorian Skull (or something like that) once. In short: It made my Champion's next basic attack deal 200% of damage dealt to him. You can imagine how powerful it his swing was.

Poison can be really good to deal with high-health enemies (shielded Picts come to mind) and can be used to weaken incoming attacks (it gives damage penalty) and combine it with some defensive abilities. If you happen to find a weapon that deals a lot of bonus damage to poisoned enemies, you can hit some really nice numbers. Tristan has been wiping Picts left and right, especially when I gave him Essence of Blight (20% poison damage) and Essence of the Pict Slayer (25% damage against Picts).

I played on Hard Ironman, of course. It may be a different story on Very Hard.

Since Guinevere is Old Faith, he should be able to reach sufficiently loyalty with her regardless of his decisions on the Rightful/Tyranny alignment axis. From my experience in a Christian-Rightful playthrough, the only heroes with low loyalty were those with at least one alignment in opposition and also lacking any matching alignment. For the Christian-Rightful alignment, this meant only those who were just Old Faith, just Tyrannical, or both Old Faith and Tyrannical, whereas I could work with anyone at neutral, Old Faith and Righteous, Tyrannical and Christian, just Righteous, just Christian, and of course Christian and Rightful alignment.
True. I tend to forget that you can somewhat balance out one axis, as long as you have the other axis aligned with yours AND stack bonuses from events/character's traits (for example, Morgawse has Thankful. It gives +1 loyalty for each relic equipped).

.Pixote.

Augur
This game should have been a 5 gigs game at most. It doesn't require hi-res textures and models, if the devs had pulled back on the bloat the game would run smoothly and effortlessly. People mentioned it was a 120 gig download on steam, where's all that stuff going, I don't see it (I downloaded a 20 gig version). I'm enjoying the game but it still has a small number annoying elements, nothing's perfect I suppose!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This game should have been a 5 gigs game at most. It doesn't require hi-res textures and models, if the devs had pulled back on the bloat the game would run smoothly and effortlessly. People mentioned it was a 120 gig download on steam, where's all that stuff going, I don't see it (I downloaded a 20 gig version).
The bloated file sizes must have been an effective anti-piracy measure. :M

RPK

Scholar
This game should have been a 5 gigs game at most. It doesn't require hi-res textures and models, if the devs had pulled back on the bloat the game would run smoothly and effortlessly. People mentioned it was a 120 gig download on steam, where's all that stuff going, I don't see it (I downloaded a 20 gig version). I'm enjoying the game but it still has a small number annoying elements, nothing's perfect I suppose!
It was that size when it was first published. They did a bunch of work on texture compression (or something?) to shrink it down before I was willing to buy it.

Oropay

Educated
if the devs had pulled back on the bloat the game would run smoothly and effortlessly
The game runs on the dev's own engine, so I imagine there's a lack of talented software engineers who can actually optimize the underlying framework. The game runs even worse than Unity titles. It's like a power virus for the GPU

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Chapter 3 Old Tyrant atm and Balin has consistently kicked ass. Just a no nonsense high performing vanguard.

Is bleed / poison stacking or stuff like toxic clouds actually worthwhile? I'm usually finding that on H/VH you want to kill or disable quickly rather than faff about with DOTs, and you're usually fighting many enemies over large maps.
The different sources of the same DoT do not stack on one enemy. You can only override/prolong with higher/newer DoT of the same type dealt later. Various types of DoTs, however, do work together.

To give you some perspective though:

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I vaguelly recall bleeding reaching as high as 15-20 dmg (also including some debuffs), and burning possibly twice as much. I didn't find poison as effective, but it could have made up for it with its rather strong debilitating features. All of the DoTs ignore armor.

https://kingarthurknightstale.wiki.fextralife.com/Status+Effects

Anyway, you can use bleeding to enhance the flat damage and stack bonuses from an item or two on top of it without too much of a sacrifice. For me, it was super cool to watch several monsters die at the beginning of their turns not being able to do a darn thing about it :P Like, you know, in other games I'd be like "meh" when the dreaded god of rng decided the strike was short of 1-5 dmg out of 100 and the monster sort of a took a free ride in its next turn. Not here, not now, muheheh. You be the judge what's good and cool for you--that's the beauty of builds--but it definitely works, should you choose it.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Nikanuur Thanks!

I've found that there's enough poison related bonus items you can stack on Tristan for it to become effective, sometimes letting him kill 3-4 units then hide again in one turn - though arguably Balin, etc. can do that without poison.

There's a unique staff that triggers all burning damage instantly & at amplified levels which, on Ector or Merlin, timed right, can blow up a whole group at once, and it can be very powerful.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Nikanuur Thanks!

I've found that there's enough poison related bonus items you can stack on Tristan for it to become effective, sometimes letting him kill 3-4 units then hide again in one turn - though arguably Balin, etc. can do that without poison.

There's a unique staff that triggers all burning damage instantly & at amplified levels which, on Ector or Merlin, timed right, can blow up a whole group at once, and it can be very powerful.
Burning DoT could've reached insane hights in the latest stages of the game, I totally agree.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it worth spending 500 gold to get +1 faith in the Manglegrove event early on?
I got the teleport ring at the merchant early on(right after Sir Hector recruitment mission), but I don't see how I could get any artifact dust? What is the best way to increase my supply of it? I haven't got any artifact to turn to dust yet.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is it worth spending 500 gold to get +1 faith in the Manglegrove event early on?
I got the teleport ring at the merchant early on(right after Sir Hector recruitment mission), but I don't see how I could get any artifact dust? What is the best way to increase my supply of it? I haven't got any artifact to turn to dust yet.
Sir Ector has the Artificer trait: While appointed as Master of Magic in the Enchanted Tower, grants 70 Relic Dust after each Mission. (Increases by 10 per Level)

Personally, I would aim toward achieving every possible alignment increase towards your preferred religion and morality, since the number of choices affecting alignment is limited.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sir Ector has the Artificer trait: While appointed as Master of Magic in the Enchanted Tower, grants 70 Relic Dust after each Mission. (Increases by 10 per Level)

Personally, I would aim toward achieving every possible alignment increase towards your preferred religion and morality, since the number of choices affecting alignment is limited.
Thanks! Is it worth to upgrade the merchant and just purchase uneeded artifacts there with gold to reprocess them into artifact dust?

Oropay

Educated
^ I don't think you'll have that much extra gold, IIRC the merchant was one of the last buildings I fully upgraded

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I was first put away but its not working on Windows 7, then finally when it turned out to need 5000000 terabytes of space. Is it true that they finally learned into data compression?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was first put away but its not working on Windows 7, then finally when it turned out to need 5000000 terabytes of space. Is it true that they finally learned into data compression?

Yeah they reduced the size significantly with one of the patches.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Game is good. Surprisingly so. I think I forgot about this because of the King Arthur/Camelot setting. It seems every few years we get a smattering of King Arthur-related content and they all seem to be subpar.

Playing on Very Hard per the suggestions in this thread. The difficulty spikes are highly noticeable, but overall combat is fun. The only complaint I have is that I would prefer more granularity in the itemization.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Holy fuck, I'm sure that foggy forest mission with Yvraine filtered a lot of people.

Not only did it kick my ass regularly on Very Hard, but it's also bugged to reset all mission progress.

Thankfully only took me two tries, but I really hope there's no more of these missions if the saves are gonna be bugged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom