Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

redsky

Novice
Sounds interesting, I would be afraid of getting rid of archers myself though. How did you manage with enemy archers and other rangeds?
My first relic purchase was a teleportation ring that I always had on my champion, vanguards are were capable of leaping and sneaking around the battlefield, sage Guinevere has a teleport skill (reusable with cooldown), and Mordred of course has a charge ability, so the general mobility of my squad was fairly high. Anyway, archers seemed to fall behind other roles in offensive power, while also being exposed defensively (the last mission in which I used an archer, she was injured seriously in the final battle).

I finished the game, but i never could play good with sage. How did you use sage in offensive role?

Last edited:

redsky

Novice
So, you are saying I should restart on roguelite mode? I only completed the tutorial dungeon so I'm not too deep in.
Game is very hard. You cant play it for the first time on ironman. it has at least 10 -15 parts where you will not be prepered for the first time. Some missions that i thought would be easy to beat, i lost big time.

ferratilis

Magister
Started playing this today, I'm surprised by how competent the AI is (playing on hard). They don't walk into my overwatch like dumbfucks, they can flank well, they target squishy characters. Overall, pretty good game, and enjoyable combat (this is coming from someone who doesn't really like turn based).

The style is also great, although the entire game looks smudgy af, must be the anti-aliasing they're using. But since the game itself is so good, it can be tolerated.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The atmosphere gives me Legacy of Kain vibes, specifically after Kain corrupts the pillars and everything goes to shit.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I finnished the game, but i never could play good with sage. How did you use sage in offensive role?
Sages aren't as capable of direct offense as vanguards or champions (or a more offense-oriented defender, such as Mordred), but their supporting skills inspire and bless are invaluable. Guinevere has a teleport skill that allows her to easily move around the battlefield to deal some limited damage to enemies, and the freezing attack deprives an enemy of AP.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sounds interesting, I would be afraid of getting rid of archers myself though. How did you manage with enemy archers and other rangeds?
My first relic purchase was a teleportation ring that I always had on my champion, vanguards are were capable of leaping and sneaking around the battlefield, sage Guinevere has a teleport skill (reusable with cooldown), and Mordred of course has a charge ability, so the general mobility of my squad was fairly high. Anyway, archers seemed to fall behind other roles in offensive power, while also being exposed defensively (the last mission in which I used an archer, she was injured seriously in the final battle).

I finnished the game, but i never could play good with sage. How did you use sage in offensive role?

You don't - you use their AP buff and the rest is utility. Morgawse plays very differently tho - she's a insane CC machine with some of the best AoE in the game.

Does anyone play without casters in any mission half-way into the game? With the ever-increasing number of enemies in missions, I can't imagine going without their debuffs and AoEs.

Optimal OP min-max setups do. But it's not very fun and requires very specific items and ability chains.

Tigranes

Arcane
Superb game. For me Classic/Hard for first few missions then switch to VH around level 5 is working for me, in second playthrough probably Rogue/VH.

Early on vanguards are very useful and ecto boy with right items eats up undead as well as supporting vanguards sneak jumping into other side of map. Marksman seem lacklustre.

Poison/bleeding doesnt seem worthwhile when you usually want to kill the unit in same turn?

I like the little secrets and optional fights scattered in the maps as well - really solid so far.

Harthwain

Magister
Poison/bleeding doesnt seem worthwhile when you usually want to kill the unit in same turn?
It is useful versus high-health enemies (shielded ones in particular). It gets more use after Act 2, if I recall correctly, because the Lost are immune to both poison and bleeding and they are the most common enemy in Act 1.

Last edited:

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I'm not sure why, but I've always overlooked this game. Just bought it based upon the praise for it in the PC Gamer's RPG of The Year thread.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not sure why, but I've always overlooked this game. Just bought it based upon the praise for it in the PC Gamer's RPG of The Year thread.
It's really good if you want to play a combat-heavy tacticool game.
Absolutely zero detectable libtardism which is amazing for $currentyear, you'd think it would be more popular on that alone.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, don't go on the first optional mission with only 3 heroes because you want to leave one at the hospital (on hardest difficulty obv) ;d It's probably theoretically possible, but you have to play each battle perfectly and pray the mage dude doesn't do anything dumb before recruiting him. Even though I beat the toughest battles, I was so low on vitality and hp that it wasn't feasible to continue, so I reloaded and am going to go with a full roster next time. It did teach me the value of positioning though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This game is absolutely fucking sadistic, I don't remember there being such a game in a long time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Superb game. For me Classic/Hard for first few missions then switch to VH around level 5 is working for me, in second playthrough probably Rogue/VH.

Early on vanguards are very useful and ecto boy with right items eats up undead as well as supporting vanguards sneak jumping into other side of map. Marksman seem lacklustre.

I like the little secrets and optional fights scattered in the maps as well - really solid so far.

It's fantastic, yeah. Would be my '21 GotY no hands down if not for Gloomhaven.

There's lots of very useful debate about balance in this thread, but the short version is:

Marksmen: Only if you like a challenge.

Vanguard, Champion: OP as fuck (the former throughout the entirety of the game, the latter exploding in ridiculousness the later it goes, eventually becoming the clear top performer)

Everything else: More or less balanced, at least not horribly unbalanced like the other three

EDIT: Oh, and DoTs are definitely balanced poorly, yes. You can do some stuff with fire if you gear towards it, but meh.

This game is absolutely fucking sadistic, I don't remember there being such a game in a long time.

On Very Hard, it's nailbitingly, awesomely hard for the first couple missions, then settles into a good balance, then drops completely off a cliff. It regains a little bit in a few select fights at the end but really runs out of steam. If you really want, you can keep the difficulty by playing suboptimal comps (avoiding broken Vanguard and Champion builds, mostly).

Lacrymas

Arcane
They were at least merciful and didn't add ranged enemies in the final battle when you recruit sir Hector. I just beat it and got the achievement for ending a mission with 4 wounded heroes. Which is a rare achievement, surprisingly enough.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks interesting, but couldn't help but notice that they couldn't keep a consistent 60 FPS in the trailer at some places, e.g. at 0:54, or 1:46. On one hand, that makes this look at least honest, on the other hand, it's worrying. Hopefully they did not use a maxed out RTX 3080 or something to capture the footage.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm restarting a campaign, as I don't remember what I was doing at all in my 7 months old ongoing one.
Which alignment would you recommend to get the strongest team? I'm ready to be very flexible about religion and morality, as long as it brings better firepower
I have a preference for magic. Does it mean I have to go Old faith? If so, does it synergize better with Tyrant or Rightful?

Harthwain

Magister
I have a preference for magic. Does it mean I have to go Old faith? If so, does it synergize better with Tyrant or Rightful?
Old-Faith is the choice for magic-focused playthrough, yes.

As for Tyrant vs Rightful - it's more a question if you want more Sages (Rightful) or other types (Tyrant). Since Old-Faith itself already comes with majority of Arcanists it's better to go for Tyrant, in my opinion. Additionally, Tyrant is believed to have more stronger heroes in general (Balin, Red Knight, Black Knight, Dagonet, Morgawse) whereas Rightful has fewer characters of note (Leodegrance, Guinevere, Lancelot).

Tigranes

Arcane
Chapter 3 Old Tyrant atm and Balin has consistently kicked ass. Just a no nonsense high performing vanguard.

Is bleed / poison stacking or stuff like toxic clouds actually worthwhile? I'm usually finding that on H/VH you want to kill or disable quickly rather than faff about with DOTs, and you're usually fighting many enemies over large maps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom