Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

.Pixote.

Augur
Quick loading games during a mission is risky business, often an extra NPC playing along with the party will bug out, screwing the mission.

:negative:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think the gameplay balance in this game is actually superb. I'm barely scraping by on the skin of my balls, and there's a few fights where I actually question if someone on the dev team beat elegantly.

The AI does really cool shit like constantly facetanking oppourtunity attacks to backstab you for that extra damage, but you can't abuse that because you want to get out of fights unscathed.

I can see why the easier difficulties weren't balanced well, because they spent all their time on the hardest difficulty.

And there's a roguelike version of that? Fuck.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Holy fuck, I'm sure that foggy forest mission with Yvraine filtered a lot of people.
Yeah. There was some butthurt on the Steam forums. But if you know what you're doing it's not that bad.

Thankfully only took me two tries, but I really hope there's no more of these missions if the saves are gonna be bugged.
To my knowledge it is the only such mission. Frankly, I don't really see the point of not being able to save (not hat I could, I played on Ironman).

I think the gameplay balance in this game is actually superb. I'm barely scraping by on the skin of my balls, and there's a few fights where I actually question if someone on the dev team beat elegantly.
Wait with the praise a bit. Missions where you unlock new characters can be very brutal on higher difficulties when you don't have optimized characters. You might even want to forego the side stuff. And do keep older saves, because there is no telling if you will be able to get through.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The biggest problem for me is that you can't skip time to heal or do shit. Would have been better if there is a limited option for that,like getting three turns after every mission you play. Also it would have been nice if there is alchemy building,where you could brew certain type of potions,or maybe a way to order them for extra expense on the market. Like the one that removes negative traits or the resurrection one.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Holy fuck, I'm sure that foggy forest mission with Yvraine filtered a lot of people.

Not only did it kick my ass regularly on Very Hard, but it's also bugged to reset all mission progress.

Thankfully only took me two tries, but I really hope there's no more of these missions if the saves are gonna be bugged.
I concur. It was the moment I gave up. I picked up on the game much later, revised my builds, and overcame. I'm so glad I did! It's rare to see such an imaginative legend retold, let alone with a good game on top of it!

Oropay

Educated
Regarding difficulty, the devs extensively rebalanced the game post launch. At launch there were some missions on Hard that were literally 2x as hard as current Very Hard (3x - 4x named enemies with better skills, etc). Some of the recruitment missions come to mind. Difficulty is smoothed out a little. But there were also some nerfs to Vanguard and Champion, although in my opinion the devs were only nerfing the combos that trivialized the game and the nerfs were fairly limited in scope.

Unfortunate to hear about the save issues; I know one of the patches caused a lot of people problems and it seems that maybe those issues weren't ever fixed again. Not sure whether the devs are still willing to update the game but I think there was a way to report issues directly to them

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I do wish that missions had less repetition in that you go around killing 5-6 groups of very similar enemies.

But, I also like how they change up the formula every once in a while by letting you bribe/talk enemies out of fighting, and occasionally have three-sided battles. Surprisingly, the role-playing choices are done well too.

Are active skills only gained from the skill tree, or are there items/other stuff in the world that gives you new skills?

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Regarding difficulty, the devs extensively rebalanced the game post launch. At launch there were some missions on Hard that were literally 2x as hard as current Very Hard (3x - 4x named enemies with better skills, etc). Some of the recruitment missions come to mind. Difficulty is smoothed out a little. But there were also some nerfs to Vanguard and Champion, although in my opinion the devs were only nerfing the combos that trivialized the game and the nerfs were fairly limited in scope.

Unfortunate to hear about the save issues; I know one of the patches caused a lot of people problems and it seems that maybe those issues weren't ever fixed again. Not sure whether the devs are still willing to update the game but I think there was a way to report issues directly to them
Yes,the undead mission,i believe that firsts pegan recruitment mission. It was pretty hard and fun for sure lol.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The biggest problem for me is that you can't skip time to heal or do shit. Would have been better if there is a limited option for that,like getting three turns after every mission you play. Also it would have been nice if there is alchemy building,where you could brew certain type of potions,or maybe a way to order them for extra expense on the market. Like the one that removes negative traits or the resurrection one.
The joust decree forwards time by one mission, allowing for healing and training without actually undertaking a mission, though it requires alignment of at least 5 in the Rightful and Christian axes. :smug:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there laws or decree that help with relic dust acquisition?
I just noticed that the loyalty hit for bringing wounded Kay in battle was a cumulative -1/mission, and not just a flat -1 in the mission until healed.
I wish the game had been clearer about it....

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I remember correctly, his negative trait states clearly that he does not like to be sent on missions wounded.
But being a christian Sir Kay hated my Cthulhu guts, so I had him locked up in the tower forever to do nothing but churn out the relic dust.
Still his loyalty was degrading overtime with my decisions, but not enough for him to leave.

Edit: nm, I missed Kay with his father Ector. Still there's no real alternative to Ector's Artificier trait.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
I just noticed that the loyalty hit for bringing wounded Kay in battle was a cumulative -1/mission, and not just a flat -1 in the mission until healed.
I wish the game had been clearer about it....
You can clear that penalty with a proper book.

But being a christian Sir Kay hated my Cthulhu guts, so I had him locked up in the tower forever to do nothing but churn out the relic dust.
Sir Kay is Neutral. You're probably thinking of Sir Ector who is a Christian and produces dust while in Camelot.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I believe that Jousts are not the only feature to forward the "mission timer ticks". I have not played for some time, and my memory is somewhat foggy, but I think money, events, items, and talents and their respective court tiles could alleviate or entirely skip the waiting as well.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It did way better than I expected. I was thinking it may end in top 5 at best, not top 3.
I mean, the elf impregnation game got the 5 spot, so the bar wasn't high this year lol.

Also these polls probably need more participation, but it's hard to stop people from joke voting.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I mean, the elf impregnation game got the 5 spot, so the bar wasn't high this year lol.
11 codexers giving it a five out of five rating propelled it up the chart. You think even one of those people played the game?
For example, take me. And I am not a big fan of tactics-only games. It's just that this one was too good to pass up.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
How does this thing compare to Troubleshooter? Don't bother if you haven't played both.

Zed Duke of Banville
Totally different games. Only similarity is that they're both far too long, but King Arthur is at least a length that a non-asian person might feasibly be capable of, although I still think it's more likely that a westerner will tap out in chapter 4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom