Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
How does this thing compare to Troubleshooter? Don't bother if you haven't played both.

Zed Duke of Banville

I played about 20h of Troubleshooter and I finished this on roguelike mode, which took me about 60h. Troubleshooter is much more about character tweaking, as far as I've seen. This game has a more straightfoward upgrade system, but every choice counts. I think this is the strength of the game - every item and upgrade makes a difference, although admitedly you can find some overpowering options, like the vanguard backstabs. The real power comes late with sages, although ultimately the game will never be entirely trivialized, especially on roguelike. I saw that Troubleshooter was a very long game, but I didn't think KA was exhausting, although perhaps I have more endurance for this type of gameplay. There is no grinding in KA, but you'll get plenty of that in the other game. What I didn't care much for in Troubleshooter was how little positioning matters ; it plays too much like a jrpg in that regard. Also the healing in KA is quite rationed, which makes every hit hurt like in X-Com ; in Troubleshooter you get a more typical rpg healing dynamic, which removes a lot of the tension from encounters. Still a good game, but KA is definitively the game of the year for me.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
How does this thing compare to Troubleshooter? Don't bother if you haven't played both.

Zed Duke of Banville

I played about 20h of Troubleshooter and I finished this on roguelike mode, which took me about 60h. Troubleshooter is much more about character tweaking, as far as I've seen. This game has a more straightfoward upgrade system, but every choice counts. I think this is the strength of the game - every item and upgrade makes a difference, although admitedly you can find some overpowering options, like the vanguard backstabs. The real power comes late with sages, although ultimately the game will never be entirely trivialized, especially on roguelike. I saw that Troubleshooter was a very long game, but I didn't think KA was exhausting, although perhaps I have more endurance for this type of gameplay. There is no grinding in KA, but you'll get plenty of that in the other game. What I didn't care much for in Troubleshooter was how little positioning matters ; it plays too much like a jrpg in that regard. Also the healing in KA is quite rationed, which makes every hit hurt like in X-Com ; in Troubleshooter you get a more typical rpg healing dynamic, which removes a lot of the tension from encounters. Still a good game, but KA is definitively the game of the year for me.
Thanks, this is exactly the sort of impression I was looking for.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
Troubleshooter is a far lengthier game with considerably more complexity in character customization, though King Arthur: Knight's Tale has the party customization of selecting which knights to take into battle, and more generally which to keep around in Camelot, but only with six classes and often not much difference between knights in the same class. KAKT is divided into four chapters, and the designers clearly lost steam by the final chapter, which is a bit of a slog through enemies with too many HPs, defeatable by exploting certain skills on your vanguard and champion knights. Troubleshooter, on the other hand, spends dozens of hours gradually recruiting more characters into your party, unlocking new abilities, and increasing the slots and points for each character's abilities board, while also introducing new enemies or complexities into existing enemy-types, and the encounter design is generally better. KAKT is a good game, but Troubleshooter is a great one (pending reevaluation from a second playthrough once the developers stop adding more to it).

2rjTYVX.jpg

xHpvssG.jpg

vxU115Z.jpg

Aficionados of squad-based tactics games should play both.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
Totally disagree about encounter design in Troubleshooter. It barely even exists. Combat is entirely a matter of creating an OP set bonus on your characters and then applying their designated combo ability to everything in sight, the specific enemy types aren't even discernible once you get going. They might as well be bowling pins. To say nothing of the fact that there are way too fucking many of them and terrain is meaningless.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Totally disagree about encounter design in Troubleshooter. It barely even exists. Combat is entirely a matter of creating an OP set bonus on your characters and then applying their designated combo ability to everything in sight, the specific enemy types aren't even discernible once you get going. They might as well be bowling pins. To say nothing of the fact that there are way too fucking many of them and terrain is meaningless.

I liked both games, and I voted KAKT as my best RPG of 2022.
But comparing KAKT and Troubleshooter is like comparing complexity of checkers to chess.

How the fuck can you even put in the same weight category a combat with 4-5 characters facing a dozen enemies at most, and a glorious showdown 12 vs 50+ going on different sides of the map, both on street level and rooftops with cover, smokegrenades, cross-fire, overwatch, exploading corpses and chain reactions?

Another funny thing is how you mentioned "meaningless terrain". In Arthur terrain serves one pupropse - for you character to not fall through the wold.
In Troubleshooter there's plenty of enviromental interaction, to mention a few - lightning damage to the enemy standing in water would additionally shock, or ice damage putting out fires.

As for enemy varierty, for all important things Arthus has exactly 2 kinds of enemies - melee guy and ranged guy.
They might change skins and stats throughout the game, but nothing else.

In short, when it comes to pure tactical combat - KAKT is good, Troubleshooter is better.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
In short, when it comes to pure tactical combat - KAKT is good, Troubleshooter is better.

This is actually why I asked the question. This game's been getting praised here ITT and more recently in the GOTY poll, but Troubleshooter is amazing. Far better than any game by a handful of Korean autists has any right to be, so I was curious how they stacked up and whether KAKT added anything worthwhile when you can just play TS for like 200 hours, other considerations like art style and setting notwithstanding.

:shredder:

Harthwain

Magister
Another funny thing is how you mentioned "meaningless terrain". In Arthur terrain serves one pupropse - for you character to not fall through the wold.
Actually, In King Arthur: Knight's Tale terrain can serve both as cover against ranged and as choke points. Just saying.

As for enemy varierty, for all important things Arthus has exactly 2 kinds of enemies - melee guy and ranged guy.
There are more differences than that: melee guys can have shield or not. This is important when using ranged characters or when enemy blocks damage. They can also have different, and annoying, skills you need to take into consideration. Some units do have spells on top of that.

I am not saying you're not ultimately correct that Troubleshooter is way more complex than King Arthur: Knight's Tale (I didn't play Troubleshooter so I can't really contest that), but I wanted to keep the record straight in case these details do interest somebody.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Actually, In King Arthur: Knight's Tale terrain can serve both as cover against ranged and as choke points. Just saying.

There are more differences than that: melee guys can have shield or not. This is important when using ranged characters or when enemy blocks damage. They can also have different, and annoying, skills you need to take into consideration. Some units do have spells on top of that.

I am not saying you're not ultimately correct that Troubleshooter is way more complex than King Arthur: Knight's Tale (I didn't play Troubleshooter so I can't really contest that), but I wanted to keep the record straight in case these details do interest somebody.

Yeah, good points. The same can be said about Troubleshooter though, the enemies are way more then just "bowling pins".
If you like tacticools and Arthur in particular, give TS a try, it really worth it, if you can get past the artstyle and the slow pace it's getting up to speed.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don't know why I've avoided Troubleshooter for so long (that's a lie, it's causing I'm expecting Korean visual-novel type writing) but you guys convinced me to give it a go.

Harthwain

Magister
If you like tacticools and Arthur in particular, give TS a try, it really worth it, if you can get past the artstyle and the slow pace it's getting up to speed.
I don't know why I've avoided Troubleshooter for so long (that's a lie, it's causing I'm expecting Korean visual-novel type writing)
Not going to lie - the main reason why I avoided Troubleshooter was because I was repulsed by how anime it looked. Not the fan of that art style. I will put it on my wishlist and wait until there is some good sale, considering it's recommended so solidly by many reasonable posters here. Thanks for the recommendations.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What they did with King Arthur TRPWargame 2 was pure incline. Shame they didn't get to polish the game off more. If they do something with the characters from the expansion pack to that game it will be like giving them the history they deserve.

This company needs more money. Maybe they could go back and polish the first two games a bit more off the back of this one?.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Meh, KA 2 was unfortunately two step backward for every step in the right direction. I wish they are now making something cool out of the undead roman legion, and maybe add some kind of senate mechanism. We'll see.

I don't think they will ever go back to polishing the two wargame, though we do live in the age of remaster, so who knows ?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Rising Eclipse - new content incoming on December 2.

Patch & Season announcement | December 2
announcing the all new Patch 2.0 and Season 2 - Rising Eclipse
Knights of Avalon,

we are beyond thrilled to announce that

Patch 2.0 & Season 2 are coming!

The island of Avalon, the last bastion of both the Knights of the Round Table and the creatures of the ancient legends, is saturated by magic at its core. The massive gameplay and quality-of-life overhaul will but further enhance this, adding class balance changes (Marksman enthusiasts rejoice!), brand new skills, item updates, and more.
Season 2 - Rising Eclipse will bring a brand new seasonal mission chain. Otherworldly earthquakes are threatening to tear apart the Island of Avalon at its foundations, and strange rifts are opening up in the kingdom, oozing energies that are dangerous and uncontrollable. It will be up to you to stop the Sídhe before they gather the energy leaking from these rifts! Doing so will prevent them from gaining unimaginable power, and reward you with precious seasonal goods in return.
The update, just like the previous Season, will be free for all owners of the base game, and will be available December 2nd.

That is not all, however.

Later on You will get to explore the fate of the (in)famous Ninth Legion of Rome and their ventures across the mystical island
As for the console version of Knight's Tale, we will share more news separately in the coming weeks, but you'll be able to start journeying on PS5 and XSX|S as well very soon!

Until so, may the (old) Gods guide your blades!

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Troubleshooter is a lot of fun in trying out builds and discovering skills. Coupled with unique characters it leads to so much room for creativity in how you approach a mission. That's how I'd describe the game actually, pure tacticool fun!

KA has nothing remotely close to that level of depth but it does have great lore and much more interesting characters (I'm not a fan of korean/anime stuff). It's very easy to get into and the Arturian settings is really cool if you ask me. The game has limited healing which adds a lot of tension to missions and makes it feel like you're always trying to optmize your approach. As a game it's much more similar to Naheulbeuk than Troubleshooter.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don't know why I've avoided Troubleshooter for so long (that's a lie, it's causing I'm expecting Korean visual-novel type writing) but you guys convinced me to give it a go.
Hope you enjoy Koren-style grinding, on the other hand.

I really want to enjoy it, but it actually does have Korean visual-novel type writing.

1695328025249.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom