Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

mildTea

Learned
Here are my thoughts after finishing the game yesterday (60h, 50h without reloads). Bear in mind, this applies to PC (especially with respect to performance).
TL;DR – incline in terms of quest writing, world building, complex mechanics. It needs lots of balancing and quest bugfixing, especially in the late game. Story is good, but uneven pacing makes the first and last thirds feel like an interactive film.

+ Overall:
- the game is ambitious, but some of the ambitions remained half-assed or botched completely
- the inclusion of systems like food, state of clothing, cleanliness and the interlinked web between these systems is nice
- sometimes the realism gets in the way of fun though, sometimes it leads to inconsistencies
- uneven pacing of the game
- the bugs in the first half of the game are mostly fixed and it's your standard open RPG experience now; the second half is still messy though
- the performance on PC was so-so to ok for a single-player game with the exception of areas with many NPCs where it dipped to 25-27 FPS occasionally (30-40 FPS in cities and 60 outside with i5-7600, RX 480 8GB and 16 GB RAM + SSD); hopefully the can optimize some more
- if not pure incline, it's at least a good direction toward incline as some of these things can be solved with patches and/or DLCs
- success of the game is a good thing, because there is hope that Warhorse will be able to perfect the formula with the next game. (Despite the leaders being veterans of the industry, majority of the studio are ppl new to the industry, oftentime fresh graduates.)

+ Good stuff:
- Map and world-building – absolutely stunning, believable and sensible world; at places feels empty though, but this could be filled with DLCs.

- Combat and armor system – very interesting idea, that's fun until the late game. The 'getting wrecked -> fair fights -> wrecking everyone' progress is uneven as it takes too long to get to the 'fair fights' phase which is short on top of it. But in general I liked the combat system as it's not a complete popamole. Well it is a popamole in the late game, but many other games are a popamole right from the beginning.

- Story and the quest writing – Based in real history, the story is very believable and in general it's quite well written. Henry, his father, Hans Capon, Radzig and Hanush are relatable and behave in a consistent manner. There were no moments where I would feel like, wtf did he do that, that's so much out of his character. The quests toward the end of the game are lame though, because they are just about fetching stuff. It fit's the story and is realistic, but it doesn't need to be split into so many little quests which just send you all over the map.

- Alchemy and herbalism – Initially feels like a chore, but I think the system and interplay between the two mechanics is done well. You suck at herbalism at the beginning and it's such a chore, mostly because of the pick-up animation. But once you start getting 3 herbs per one pick-up animation it's ok. The alchemy is done just right and other games should take example. The cooking steps are logical, the recipe learning and the fact it requires a bit of a reading skill is well thought out and the whole system deserves praise. The automation perk should come a bit sooner in my opinion, but overall it's one of the best alchemy mechanics I've ever seen in a game.

- Mechanics incorporation – Another nice thing about the mechanics is how well they are incorporated into the quests. Every mechanics is useful in one or more quests. The executioner quest comes to mind. Major incline here.

+ Bad stuff:
- Performance + AI – As mentioned above, it's so-so with a mid-level machine. What's bad is ppl with 1080 reporting similar performance in the cities. The AI in the game tries to be ambitious, but it burdens the CPU so much that the results is not worth it IMO. When I recall how Vávra was boasting about every sheep and chicken having it's own AI... Well if that's what takes 1-2 min to compute while you have to wait through sleep or waiting mechanics, then remove chicken. I don't care for them the slightest bit. The routines, etc. are better than Gothic 1+2, but I'm not sure if that much. Some of the less important NPCs sometimes just stare into wall the whole day, go to sleep, wash, eat and stare again. I think the next step is to create a few variations of the routine for everyone and randomize them. The game is really long, so you notice the repetitiveness sooner or later.

- Save&Quite should have been there from the beginning. This is aimed at mature audiences. Those people have life responsibilities and they need to be able to quit on a whim and continue where they left. Yuge oversight.

- Mechanics balance – You can just see in the second half of the game, that the devs didn't test it thoroughly enough. Not only bugs abound, but the mechanics need more tuning. In the combat, you become overpowered around level 8-9. Thx to availability of good armour, large stamina pool and quickly becoming proficient in the combat skill, you will feel invincible way before the end of the game. On the other hand you have many skills where you get new points, but it doesn't feel meaningful. You don't need your reading level much higher than five and the perks associated with it are useless. Herbalism gets good around level 7 too and you feel like a fucking grim reaper. The animation should change to you picking up herbs with a ninja-like swing of your sword. At this point, your coat of arms should be hammer and sickle.

- Choices and Consequences – There are few which end up altering the gameplay, but often time they just lead to triggering a different cutscene or dialogue. I want more of the former ones. Also sometimes the reactions to my acts are underwhelming. Suddenly I turn up in the plate armour in the city and people do start calling me a knight when greeting me, but that's about it. You have an option to court and bed a few women, none of which acknowledges your deeds from the main quests. You sleep with them and that's it. No semblance of a relationship. This was disappointing. As if my deeds, didn't impress anyone. All you get with a good reputation is the cancer below.

- "Hey, Henry's come to see us!" – you will hate this after hearing it 1000x.

- Bugged quests – the main quests are mostly bug free, but the side quests in the second half are still not fixed (v 1.2.5). I skipped the side quests from Feyfar and Hanush. I tried them and couldn't achieve the outcome I wanted, because a person I needed to arrest always attacked me and it ended in a kill. A few quests require you to follow someone, but their pathing is messed up and they end up in the bushes or walls so it takes forever for them to reach their destination. Upon getting stucked they teleport once you turn around, but then they get stuck again.

- Sometimes you can't solve the quest the way you want. At one point NPC A tasks with killing NPC B. I respond I don't wanna kill B, thinking I'll kill A and get his key. Nope, can't do that, because they want to show you this cool quest, which turns out not be so cool. It also lets me eventually to keep B alive, for which A attacks me in the end. I kill A and take his key. Why couldn't I do it from the beginning?

- Pacing problem – Vávra was bragging so much about the 3h of cutscenes, but honestly it's an overkill and it bites back. Apart from cutscenes you have the in-engine dialogues and those add easily another 1h. Together these 4h of talking are split unevenly throught the game. You basically get 2h of this in the first third and 2h in the last third. The middle third is the best part of the game also because the combat and other skills feel balanced and exploring the world and doing the quests is a somewhat challenging adventure. The early game is too long (or slow, if you wish) and too punishing and you can't do shit as you need to learn everything. The final part is just being forced to do long travels across the whole map, where you have a short and easy fight in the better case. Mostly you just travel for 5 min, trigger a cutscene, travel 5 min to trigger another one and so on. Also once you get to the Sasau monastery area you stare at the wait/sleep clock too much. Even after you're out of that area in the final part of the game, you're twice required to wait a few days for a certain event to trigger and as there are many NPCs around you, the wait is 3x slower than normally. And you need to trigger it multiple times, because max waiting is 1 day and max sleep is 12h. This was the lowest point in the game for me. I hate that clock.

Ok, I could write even more, but let me stop here and conclude with a question: The final quest leads to – a DLC or KCD 2?
IMO, the expedition is going to be a DLC, while you will only fight Markvart and Istvan in KCD 2.

Sorry for the wall of text.

P.S.: Do people here start a new thread to discuss the ending of the game in order to keep the original Release thread spoiler-free?

Last edited:

hpstg

Savant
Just FYI - fast travel speed seems to be tied to FPS, so anyone limiting his FPS via sys_MaxFPS will experience longer travelling times.

Thanks for the info. I'll still get fps-limited travel times to stutter though.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Sleeping / waiting / fast travel screens do not observe graphics vsync or frame limiting options.

Elex

Arbiter
And then you end up with something like this

Why should we test weapons and balance them when you can just go with the flow:lol:

lmao I killed everyone in that camp (Pribyslavitz) too just for shits and giggles. It was a piece of cake because the AI is so rudimentary and breaks very easily.

BTW, the game does not acknowledge if you clear out the camp by yourself. All of the NPCs respawn when it is raided in the main questline.

i killed all the patrols with stealth, poisoned all the food, burned all the arrow.

“how many bandits henry?”
“don’t worry my lord they are few!”

and then an army of cumans + bandits out of nowhere in the mission!!
why you ask me the numbers if don’t matter???

and the loot!! all my precious loot!!! why???? why i can’t loot at after the battle?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
And then you end up with something like this

Why should we test weapons and balance them when you can just go with the flow:lol:

lmao I killed everyone in that camp (Pribyslavitz) too just for shits and giggles. It was a piece of cake because the AI is so rudimentary and breaks very easily.

BTW, the game does not acknowledge if you clear out the camp by yourself. All of the NPCs respawn when it is raided in the main questline.

i killed all the patrols with stealth, poisoned all the food, burned all the arrow.

“how many bandits henry?”
“don’t worry my lord they are few!”

and then an army of cumans + bandits out of nowhere in the mission!!
why you ask me the numbers if don’t matter???

and the loot!! all my precious loot!!! why???? why i can’t loot at after the battle?

Because it will break the games economy even more, with that amount of stuff to loot you will easily get thousand of golds with nothing to spend on, therefore even more whining.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hardly a strawman when shitload of people here treat that game like it's a cure for cancer and Vavra like a Jordan Peterson of video gaming...

While you treat it like it's actual cancer and Vavra is literally Hitler - since the moment you materialized ITT - and then you're butthurt nobody's taking you seriously.
When I was voluntary teaching, a lot of college students/young teenagers behaved better than cvv.

Can someone tell cvv that when he wants to lick Vávra arsehole, he can do it IRL?

Beowulf

Arcane
Sleeping / waiting / fast travel screens do not observe graphics vsync or frame limiting options.

What do you mean by that? Travel time is about 2x longer between 30 and 60 FPS.
Haven't checked the sleeping/waiting, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Hardly a strawman when shitload of people here treat that game like it's a cure for cancer and Vavra like a Jordan Peterson of video gaming...

While you treat it like it's actual cancer and Vavra is literally Hitler - since the moment you materialized ITT - and then you're butthurt nobody's taking you seriously.
When I was voluntary teaching, a lot of college students/young teenagers behaved better than cvv.

Can someone tell cvv that when he wants to lick Vávra arsehole, he can do it IRL?

He put me on ignore as soon as I didn't agree with his views and he hates sjw, what a joke:lol:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Haven't checked the sleeping/waiting, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change.

I play at 1440p, VSync on and capped at 30 FPS. On those screens my FPS climbs and I see screen tearing. So, cap is not observed and VSync is not on. The mode literally shifts. When the clock or travel map is on.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I remember someone said that NPCs respawn after 7 in game days, so I killed 2 people and tried it out.
Henry can somehow survive sitting and waiting for 4 days straight eating nothing but rotten venison on 0 energy.

Deadass

Savant
e9P702k.jpg

wtf guys help

imweasel

Henry can somehow survive sitting and waiting for 4 days straight eating nothing but rotten venison on 0 energy.
Poor Henry. At least use a preserver potion on the rotten venison to make it nice and fresh again.

I have a bunch of meat stored in my chest that has been rotting away for weeks. You never know when you might need it for one of the numerous fetch quests.
TrumpSmug.png

PorkBarrellGuy

I don't get it, can't you jerky it or salt it or something to preserve it? They had that ability in that era, didn't they?

imweasel

I don't get it, can't you jerky it or salt it or something to preserve it? They had that ability in that era, didn't they?
You can preserve meat with salt in KCD. There is just absolutely no reason to do so, because there are pots full of food lying around everywhere that refill once a day.

The only reason to even save meat is for fetch quests. It rots away indefinitely in storage and can be made fresh again with a potion.

PorkBarrellGuy

I don't get it, can't you jerk it...They had that ability in that era, didn't they?

It's a sin you fucking pagan scum.
:lol:
You can preserve meat with salt in KCD. There is just absolutely no reason to do so, because there are pots full of food lying around everywhere that refill once a day.

The only reason to even save meat is for fetch quests. It rots away indefinitely in storage and can be made fresh again with a potion.
Kind of a waste. (Once again Alchemy ruins things)

Beowulf

Arcane

I play at 1440p, VSync on and capped at 30 FPS. On those screens my FPS climbs and I see screen tearing. So, cap is not observed and VSync is not on. The mode literally shifts. When the clock or travel map is on.

Interesting. With VSync disabled in user.cfg the cap stays at declared value on the map screen. Could you try testing it with VSync off as well?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It should be possible to mod the formulas for skill level gains in such a way that the cost of you next level takes into account all levels across all skills that you have, correct?

If yes, then it shouldn't be very difficult to make a mod which makes it practically impossible to reach level 20 in every skill, and incentivises you to specialize in a few skills.

BTW for some reason GoG says I have 24 hrs and 2 mins before KCD is available for download, instead of just 2 mins.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
I just wish Vavra showed as much effort in fixing this shit as he does on inceling about wahmen - shitlording sjws is all fine and dandy, but he's drifting from being game developer to a twitter popstar.
Now it comes out why you're really butthurt. :lol:
You'll be glad to know that he's happily married and has kids.

Some folks in this thread even told me to ''artificially'' limit myself to make the game more difficult:lol:, the generation of everyone get's a cookie, what you got 19th place? Just pretend you got first place, job done:lol:. Basically the devs couldn't be arsed to work making sure the majority of gameplay was interesting, so you do it.:lol:
I simply can't comprehend the mindset in which one gets the best ingame armor and weapon as soon as possible because one saw Online how/where to get it, then proceeds to clean out villages by exploiting the AI and some OP items while declaring the game SHIT and yelling "HAHA, I BEAT TEH GAME!" in a SinglePlayer, story-based RPG instead of actually playing for the story, exploration, seeing what the world has to offer and following the natural progression the game intended. 25 hours in I was still busy with the quests around Rattay and didn't even have a chainmail. If I'd have played Fallout that way by heading right for the power armor and to the final boss then going "HAHA, WHAT A SHIT GAME, EZ!" I probably would have thought it was shit too. People like you are literally begging for Final Fantasy-style railroady gamedesign with long corridors and loot carefully planted at every corner and carefully gated mechanics and progress, since you apparently can't handle an Open World. In the end it's only one persons fun you are spoiling, which wouldn't even be much of an issues if you didn't choose to be an autistic spamming asshole across various forums about it for months on end because a game you pirated gave you too much choice.

I must say,that millionaire is ether a financial genius with a crystal ball or he really love games. Throwing 10 millions on dream is a huge risk at best. Also there could be clause that says that they get the right to buy back his cut on certain price when the game came out. Don't know really. Any way,the game is great,the millionaire didn't messed up things for them.
Maybe also a Czech patriot who believed investing that much into a game about Czech history would be worthwhile anyway, especially if he's a billionaire (?)

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I simply can't comprehend the mindset in which one gets the best ingame armor and weapon as soon as possible because one saw Online how/where to get it
Did you even play the game? You can break the equipment balance without wanting or even trying to.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Since he's a bastard who got rich stealing from the socialist state, he probably doesn't mind throwing a few millions on something. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom