Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Most of that stuff in that glassdoor sounds great actually, especially not giving a fuck about someone's hurt fee fees
True but the švarcsystém stuff Is p. serious, that shit is illegal af. Coming from a clearly butthurt Westerner millennial I have my doubts but if it's true most workers are hired as independent contractors that can spell trouble for Warhorse.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Glassdoor review said:
-Discrimination/Racism, some things have been said about non-czech workers by some people in the company if they said what they said in any other games studio they would have been fired on the spot without a warning but here nothing is done about it.

Also management pretends to be concerned about 20% of the company declaring being harassed/discriminated in the yearly survey meanwhile when I gave my resignation letter not a single word was exchanged on why am I leaving,etc.. didn't even have an exit interview.
8fper2.png

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Oh no, they're speaking Czech in a Czech company in the Czech Republic. The absolute horror of non-diverse racism.

Hard to take anything seriously from that when it's obviously some foreign, likely Amerimutt or British, dangerhair crying. They're a fucking plague.

Lokiamis

Learned
Guy writes a post claiming that the talent responsible for making KCD great have left, the management is doing a terrible job at keeping the remaining good developers around, Vavra's role in the company being diminished, and you clowns only reply to the inconsequential bit where he whines about racism.
I'm not too hopeful for a quality sequel anymore, but I guess this is the fate of all promising new studios that are too successful for their own good.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Kingdome Come 2077 is on the way whoop whoop. Maybe Vavra should have paid more attention to his little studio instead of making stupid tweets about how cyberbug is a great game because Skyrim was buggy at launch as well. Didnt even have the balls to compare it to his unfinished bugfest instead.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vavra's role in the company being diminished
To my knowledge, Daniel Vávra has always been Creative Director of Warhorse Studios, not Chief Executive Officer.

you clowns only reply to the inconsequential bit where he whines about racism.
There's nothing "clown" about that.

Yes the non gaming CEO has been CEO of Warhorse since 2012 according to LinkedIn.

It isn't some new development.

Thonius

Arcane
Oh no, they're speaking Czech in a Czech company in the Czech Republic. The absolute horror of non-diverse racism.

Hard to take anything seriously from that when it's obviously some foreign, likely Amerimutt or British, dangerhair crying. They're a fucking plague.
Yeah, but why they hired shmuck that cant speaks Chech Czech? Why leads are leaving? What skill can offer eng only speaking person that their countrymen cannot? Why not just hire for remote work? Mismanagement it is.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Since this post got so many agrees and likes I think it needs some addressing.

Guy writes a post claiming that the talent responsible for making KCD great have left, the management is doing a terrible job at keeping the remaining good developers around, Vavra's role in the company being diminished, and you clowns only reply to the inconsequential bit where he whines about racism.

It's not inconsequential, it gives you an idea what kind of person you're dealing with. It reminds me of a similar post by a former Bioware employee that went viral - dude was complaining about working conditions in Bioware being unbearable because managers were always trying to tell people what to do (imagine that!) and employees had only an hour long lunch break (only an hour!). It's immediately clear that person had never worked anywhere before and has zero idea what life outside university campus is all about.

That dude poo-pooing Warhorse makes one good point about people being hired as contractors, not employees, which IS illegal, if true. But he's mostly talking shit, like that Goodman Deutsch.

For example "Vavra is not the CEO". Afaik Vavra was only the boss when Warhorse was still like 8 bare-arsed enthusiasts with great ideas. The actual CEO has been helming the studio since like 2013. So nobody's role was "diminished", Vavra has always been only the creative lead on KCD, nothing more nothing less.

Current CEO knows absolutely nothing about game development - everyone can judge for themselves if Frývaldský has learned anything about the gaming industry in those 8 years he have been there

All the talented veterans who've made KCD left - the people chiefly responsible for the KCD vision and success are Klima, Vavra and Bocan and they're all still there. Smejki is still there. Afaik the composers responsible for that amazing OST are still there. Afaik the quest design lead is still the lead.

"Career opportunities are very limited as the lead roles are only for czech speakers as the lead meetings are in czech" - So the leads speak among themselves in Czech...because they're all Czech. I'm shock.

Discrimination/racism - I'm sure that racism is rampant in a studio located in the urban, multiculti Prague bubble where everyone except Vavra is a leftie.

Overtime work not being rewarded - who the fuck knows but seeing his previous claims I have my doubts about this one too.

Managers are millionaires and they don't care anymore - the gall, starting a studio, creating a successful game and making millions! As for not caring, well Vavra did say publicly now he's rich his drive to show up in work is not as high as before. I guess it remains to be seen if that's something we should be worried about. Only way to find out is to play KCD2.

Harthwain

Magister
Overtime work not being rewarded - who the fuck knows but seeing his previous claims I have my doubts about this one too.
If they are hiring people as contractors and you yourself state that it is illegal, then why would you be surprised if they are not paying for overtime?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If they are hiring people as contractors and you yourself state that it is illegal, then why would you be surprised if they are not paying for overtime?
When you're a contractor there is no such thing as overtime in the first place, you get paid for the amount of work you produce, not less, not more. But again, we don't know the truth and we aren't likely to find out any time soon.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It's not inconsequential, it gives you an idea what kind of person you're dealing with. It reminds me of a similar post by a former Bioware employee that went viral - dude was complaining about working conditions in Bioware being unbearable because managers were always trying to tell people what to do (imagine that!) and employees had only an hour long lunch break (only an hour!). It's immediately clear that person had never worked anywhere before and has zero idea what life outside university campus is all about.

That dude poo-pooing Warhorse makes one good point about people being hired as contractors, not employees, which IS illegal, if true. But he's mostly talking shit, like that Goodman Deutsch.

For example "Vavra is not the CEO". Afaik Vavra was only the boss when Warhorse was still like 8 bare-arsed enthusiasts with great ideas. The actual CEO has been helming the studio since like 2013. So nobody's role was "diminished", Vavra has always been only the creative lead on KCD, nothing more nothing less.

Current CEO knows absolutely nothing about game development - everyone can judge for themselves if Frývaldský has learned anything about the gaming industry in those 8 years he have been there

All the talented veterans who've made KCD left - the people chiefly responsible for the KCD vision and success are Klima, Vavra and Bocan and they're all still there. Smejki is still there. Afaik the composers responsible for that amazing OST are still there. Afaik the quest design lead is still the lead.

"Career opportunities are very limited as the lead roles are only for czech speakers as the lead meetings are in czech" - So the leads speak among themselves in Czech...because they're all Czech. I'm shock.

Discrimination/racism - I'm sure that racism is rampant in a studio located in the urban, multiculti Prague bubble where everyone except Vavra is a leftie.

Managers are millionaires and they don't care anymore - the gall, starting a studio, creating a successful game and making millions! As for not caring, well Vavra did say publicly now he's rich his drive to show up in work is not as high as before. I guess it remains to be seen if that's something we should be worried about. Only way to find out is to play KCD2.

057dfe195dd1b207ee4e5777ac3b345b.gif

I don't even know why are we listening to that butthurt Glassdoor review. All we have to see that Vavra (with some fellow devs) built 2 gaming studios from the ground up and made 2 masterpieces (Mafia and KCD). And he is telling SJWs to fuck off. Nothing else matters.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
KCD was possible because they could hire talent for incredibly cheap.

Probably after the "success" of KCD the young people wanted same wages as people who moved their butts to greener pastures west of Prague, while work slacked, overtime became a problem and the inevitable drama ensues.

It shows again that you should not work twice as much as you should in the first 9 months on your first job to be able to work half as much as you should afterwards. Employers know this tactics very well and will use it to your disadvantage.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And now for something different. Translated from Vavra's Facebook post:

"Today it's 550 years since the last Czech king died, George I. From then on Bohemia was ruled exclusively by foreign dynasties. George had an interesting connection to KCD - when he was young he was a ward of Hynek Capon, the actual son of Hans Capon of Pirkstein."

So Hans did rule Rattay after all, p. successfully it seems, against all expectations. And he had a son and that son raised a king, just like Hanush raised Hans.

Btw Hynek "Capon" Ptáček was born in 1404, a year after KCD takes place (so I guess we'll be playing another Hans' amorous adventure in the sequel), and he became the highest administrator in the kingdom (something like a prime minister in a monarchy afaik). After the Hussite wars he also became the leader of the Hussite movement. All that before he reached the age of 27, when he sadly died.

Clearly a high-T alpha, after his dad
rating_prestigious.png

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

057dfe195dd1b207ee4e5777ac3b345b.gif

I don't even know why are we listening to that butthurt Glassdoor review. All we have to see that Vavra (with some fellow devs) built 2 gaming studios from the ground up and made 2 masterpieces (Mafia and KCD). And he is telling SJWs to fuck off. Nothing else matters.

I'm always slightly sceptical of glassdoor reviews anyway unless there is a common trend amongst many.

People frequently say negative things about ex-employers that are often exaggerations or hyperbole.

That said if you see 100 reviews that all comment on the same thing, then there is probably something there to address. Doesn't seem to be the case with this though.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
I love it when people who use Apple products suddenly care about the working conditions of game developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom