Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty II

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Some starting gameplay

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally downloading.

As I'm the biggest fan of and expert on the nuKB series on the Codex I will play the game, judge it for what it's worth and my verdict will be binding for everyone here.

Renevent

Cipher
Running is completely fine, if slightly slow. Riding is the only clunky thing I've run into so far. The game looks pretty good and runs very smoothly.

Jinn

Arcane
The game's steam rating is about to get demolished by mindless steamtards for the next few hours. I wonder if it'll recover.

Renevent

Cipher
Some review gems:

"Stuck in combat tutorial."

You literally just follow prompts, how someone can't get past this is mindblowing lol...then again after watching that journalist try to pass cuphead's tutorial I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

Most others are complaining about clunkyness or not being able to rebind keys. The former I don't really feel is true (at least as someone who has played tons of euro-jank) and the latter I couldn't give two fucks about.

jackofshadows

Magister
The game's steam rating is about to get demolished by mindless steamtards for the next few hours. I wonder if it'll recover.
What's the incentive?

Some of the complains appear to be valid though even for <1 hr played: like no difficulty setting (means only for casuals in this case), allegedly no key rebinds and mouse sensitivity settings, UI complains (to hell with them), no mini-map (really?), junky graphix/animations (not important but still), overall ugliness (I wouldn't say that but severe lack of art-style - for sure).

Anyway, so far it looks like absolute generic soulless trash without any spark of creativity, anything to cling on. Well, maybe except for combat but reviews say it's like 30% of gameplay tops, so...

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
I would rather buy a new Kings Bounty game done in same engine and using same assets as previous games only with new story and characters.
Like with Armored Princess and Crossworlds and Warriors of the North and Dark Side? No, thanks.

Renevent

Cipher
I think all three were def good, with the viking one being the weakest, although still enjoyable. Darkside was trash.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

ALL REVIEWS: Mostly Negative (19)

only 19 reviews.

Good,deserve that shit for putting denuvo and not being on gog. :smug:

Princess was good. Mostly because it was made by same people/
Actually it is the worst one,tho i haven't played that vampire one.

Well, maybe except for combat but reviews say it's like 30% of gameplay tops, so...

Thats a quite brilliant way to prolong the game, just make main character walk very slowly making you twice as long to do anything.
Speed hack x 5 :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I think all three were def good, with the viking one being the weakest, although still enjoyable. Darkside was trash.
I liked the vikings one the most,but i also re-played the side to side and could see the difference. Also the legend one is pretty good.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
They kind of did this to themselves by wanting to appeal to the Witcher 3 crowd. Why did they think those people would care about Kings bounty style combat and gameplay loop? Seems like they don't know their audience. HoMM and Kings bounty fans don't seem like the type to buy a game based off of cinematics and the cinematics crowd aren't going to stick around for half baked cinematics and Kings bounty combat

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok so I'm about to finish the first area, about 2 hours in.

First impressions - the reviews saying it's p. much the good old King's Bounty, only clunkier, uglier and with a useless 3D layer draped over it were right.

I get it. After 4 or 5 games looking and playing exactly the same they wanted to do something different. Tbh most fans wanted to freshen up the formula too. And so the devs thought "let's make it look superficially like a proper open-world RPG, to get a broader appeal".

Well it was utterly misguided. First of, nobody is fooled 15 mins in. It only looks like a traditional RPG with TB combat from afar. In reality it's just another King's Bounty, i.e. a fairly niche game for a niche audience. Second, they wanted to 3D but only had a handful of rubles in their pockets and it shows. Game looks like a remastered Morrowind. Moving is clunky and slow (for no reason I might add since mobs are stationary this time around so there's zero reason not to allow players run fast). VO is functional at best, don't expect any charm or immersion here. Same goes for the art style. Overall the presentation is truly drab and charmless, including the writing and music which has always been KB's strong point.

As for the gameplay itself, it's p. good. As I said, inside it's the good old KB yet again. Due to the stupid 3D layer everything is less clear, transparent and ergonomic but on the plus side the terrain is more varied and allows for more tacticool maneuvering and the 3D world allows for more interesting exploration and level design. I really don't have anything more interesting to say about the gameplay - most of the features work p. much the same, only with different names here and there.

Should you buy it right now? Probably not, unless you're a hardcore KB fan like me (if so, it's 40 bucks on GMG). For most people it's better to wait for a sale. Game is still rough around the edges, needs a few patches and updates (can't remap keys, can't set combat speed, only one difficulty etc.). If the devs stick with it and listen to the feedback a year from now it could be a solid tacticool RPG, if you can filter out the disappointing presentation.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm having fun so far. It definitely plays like King's Bounty below the veneer; even simple stuff like reading headstones is nostalgic.

I haven't really picked up anything that can't be patched, except I guess jumping because mechanically that wouldn't work.

kain30

Cipher
I´m liking the game so far, but the character movement is so slow that i´m going to wait a couple of days until someone makes a speedhack to continue playing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I´m liking the game so far, but the character movement is so slow that i´m going to wait a couple of days until someone makes a speedhack to continue playing.
:whatho:
Nigga you just download cheatengine,keybind the speedhack speeds and then press a button while running the game with the cheatengine.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
It's interesting that there is no Anarchy-based playable character. Maybe DLC?

Edi: To be honest, don't understand the speed / fast travel complaint. Game seems pretty dense so far with many fast travel portals. Much quicker than you'd experience with a H&S.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom