Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty II

Codex Year of the Donut
Review from a smaller reviewer who typically only covers RPGs(and probably posts on the codex):

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't read that fake Rusky currency. Is it in potatoes? That's a problem.
tP28CXD.gif

NoSoup4you

Learned
So hang on... The modern Kings Bounties were good? They seemed like cheap bundle fodder. I really liked the Genesis one, but never got around to any others.

Heinrich

Scholar
So hang on... The modern Kings Bounties were good? They seemed like cheap bundle fodder. I really liked the Genesis one, but never got around to any others.
Yes, especially crossworlds. It's a very sharp experience on highest difficulty. Also, while some people are put off by the art style, I think going that all-in on the fairy-tale stylization is pretty unique in games and gives it a special atmosphere.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'll take fairy tale over this shit any day of the week. So dark and grown up! Witcher meets Dragon Age!
They somehow forgot a "dark and grown up" art style doesn't exactly mesh with a silly, goofy, fantasy-fodder story about magical kingdoms, princesses and evil wizards.

Dark and grown-up art works when the world, lore and writing is dark and grown-up too, like in Witcher or Kingdom Come.

The 2D art in the prequels is fantastic btw, a rare case of a traditional Western fairytale style, restrained and elegant, so welcome in this day and age when everything is either nuAnimu or garish Warcraft-like dumbfuckery.

screen_170422_008.jpg

Contrast with this:

kings-bounty-2-recenze-artefakt.jpg

PlushPowerfulBlackfly-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wouldn't say the art style looks terrible.
Really, I think it's fine.

But what that screenshot above shows excellently, is how terribly bad the UI design is.
Just look at what part of the screen is actually used for information/function vs completely useless free space.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Katauri games were about adventure. Young knight's first quest. Big unknown world, vivid colors. And yes - it appeals to grown up men. Because to see serious and grown up shit they don't need games. New developers are retards. No one wants to see how two bunch of peasants in shit colored robes fight for heap of manure to smear it over their clothes.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
They just thought that if they make the game look like budget witcher on promo screenshots the console crowd will buy it, cue the obviously console ui and console peasantry problems. Because it's only 2021 and they had no hindsight on what might happen. I'm sure that 1C HQ is still full of people absolutely shocked at all the 4/10 reviews from console-focused media.

Tomas

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Katauri games were about adventure. Young knight's first quest. Big unknown world, vivid colors. And yes - it appeals to grown up men. Because to see serious and grown up shit they don't need games. New developers are retards. No one wants to see how two bunch of peasants in shit colored robes fight for heap of manure to smear it over their clothes.

Well said there is a similar trend in some of the recent movies - they are too real to be entertaining.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
screen_170422_008.jpg

Contrast with this:

kings-bounty-2-recenze-artefakt.jpg

==========•==============
Well, that top pic is pretty gorgeous i interesting, tbh and I don't say shit like that about many modern games. The bottom reminds me of a mmo from the still alone..... or dungeon siege.

Edit... but does it play like MM3? Or close to the original? I wouldn't know. I see the DLC content for it and the space one and just turn away.

and these combat screens look... ugh.
59259da5191711526676dc833782918de22a9669d28b884ffc82a9d9245feb8a_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_450.jpg

i guess certain stills are deceptive.

i will say the original has aged a bit and I didn't know there was a KB2

KB 1
kings-bounty_13.png

KB 2
king-s-bounty-2_8.png

Gorillas?

curAi8T.jpg

BabdHDx.jpg

"Magic Secret Powers were revealed to me the day I held my Magic sword and said....."
m94JQI2.jpg

"I HAVE THE POWER!!"

iN7bRon.jpg

He's downright D A N G E R O U S !

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
What the fuck has happened to UI design in gaming industry??? It lost all the style & soul and now it's this soulless, minimalist crap

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It's more than consoles. There is this notion, idea, very retarded idea, that while you play game you should have almost ZERO UI on your screen. Niggers, then go watch a movie, leave my games be -.-

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
"Clean and fuctional UI", "Quality of life improvements", "Accessible", "Old school spirit packaged in modern design", "Modern sensitivities" and "Balanced"

All RED FLAGS that game will be soulless shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom