Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty II

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
And Fortnite spirit and artstyle. That one is the WORST. You can see sooo many games that are trying their hardest to remind players of Fortnite (be it vomit of bright colours, zany zoomer nonjokes, diversity++++...). Even Wasteland 3 has Fortnite in it. Holy Hell, humanity needs reset

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone playing? I'm about 10 hours in and unlike the prequels this game makes it very difficult or even impossible to do most battles lossless. And unlike previously money is an issue this time around. Everytime I lose a dog I think "well, that's another 500 down the drain". There's only one difficulty but it's definitely not trivial.

Drowed

Arcane
I honestly enjoyed the new games in the King's Bounty series. The only problem was that the recycling of content between each new version was too great to the point that the games felt like DLC from the previous game - that, and the fact that each new game also seemed to be made with less polish, coming with more bugs and broken mechanics. They didn't need to reinvent the whole game, but they could have first invested in improving what they already had, minimally.

I mean, this was King's Bounty: The Legend (2008):

0000007068.1920x1080.jpg

And this is a screenshot from King's Bounty: Dark Side (2014):

ss_cf5ce2885f5f5633f869368d5aaf7221e9c856f7.1920x1080.jpg

It is literally the same game. Same textures, same models, same UI. I mean, I understand that you shouldn't change what's working, but there's a limit to how far you'll go to buy literally the same game 4 or 5 times, especially when each version has less polish than the previous one. Apart from the fact that it's a good game, it's not much different to what EA do with FIFA. But instead of taking what they already had and making it even better, they decided to throw it away and start from scratch, to try to increase their audience and reach the "average" RPG player. Thing is, the average RPG player is not a fan of eurojank. If you try to disguise your game as an AAA, it's going to be analyzed as an AAA by people, which is why the reviews are so terrible.

I don't know if this bet of theirs will work out in the end.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone playing? I'm about 10 hours in and unlike the prequels this game makes it very difficult or even impossible to do most battles lossless. And unlike previously money is an issue this time around. Everytime I lose a dog I think "well, that's another 500 down the drain". There's only one difficulty but it's definitely not trivial.
Yeah, recruits are expensive more so than limited. That said, I'm finding the warrior quite easy to play with a full order squad. Might convert to Strength at some point, just don't know when I'll have the opportunity at this rate.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, recruits are expensive more so than limited. That said, I'm finding the warrior quite easy to play with a full order squad.

And have you gotten to the point where the game completely fucks you over when you suddenly realize there's a hard member limit for a stack? It kindda varies but so far I've found it's between 8-10. So if you heavily invest in all those low-tier Order units like Archers or Healers and then suddenly your leadership jumps by a few hundred or more, you can throw all those in the trash, more or less. Because you just can't bring more than 10 Healers or Archers into a battle (or more than 8 dogs). I have enough leadership for 20 dogs but I can't bring more than 8.

Thousands of gold wasted. I've found out like an hour ago and wanted to throw my monitor through my window. What a retarded decision, jesus fucking christ.

jackofshadows

Magister
And have you gotten to the point where the game completely fucks you over when you suddenly realize there's a hard member limit for a stack? It kindda varies but so far I've found it's between 8-10. So if you heavily invest in all those low-tier Order units like Archers or Healers and then suddenly your leadership jumps by a few hundred or more, you can throw all those in the trash, more or less. Because you just can't bring more than 10 Healers or Archers into a battle (or more than 8 dogs). I have enough leadership for 20 dogs but I can't bring more than 8.

Thousands of gold wasted. I've found out like an hour ago and wanted to throw my monitor through my window. What a retarded decision, jesus fucking christ.
Yeah, I read some youtubers have falled exactly into that trap (went full low tiers) with their press release version and completely stuck after 16 hours played so they had to call their review "a preview" :D

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yeah, I read some youtubers have falled exactly into that trap (went full low tiers) with their press release version and completely stuck after 16 hours played so they had to call their review "a preview" :D
And nobody at 1C thought this might be a problem. Wow.

All that would be moot if the economy was handled like in previous games ("don't spend like an idiot but don't worry about money too much, focus on troop composition and good tactics"). But here money is pretty tight and if you don't know about the troop limit you can absolutely brick yourself 20 hours in and start over.

Anomander

Educated
Well I'm at 10 or 12 level (playing as mage) and have full stack (10) of archers, healers etc. Money never was a problem. Now I have like a 40k gold or something like that. Every battle I get more than healing cost. You just have to choose your battles (like in the old games) - when enemy is too strong go explore something else and come back later (with larger army - better units).

Szenhidrat

Novice
So...
How shit this is, hit me straight guys, I can handle...
Well, imagine your dogo leaving a surprise in your garden but you don't touch it for quite a few days. It will dry out, the smell which would make you puke will be completely gone and it won't stick on your boot anymore, nor on the tissue you would pick it up with.

In fact, it can become quite useful! You can mix it with water and soil to make your tomatoes happy OR you can throw it in the neighbour's garden without making yourself dirty OR you can powder that stuff up and save it for a later prank. The options are limitless.

So while it's not that evil, nasty thing and you kinda can use it for different stuff ... it's still shit. Just not as bad.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

All that would be moot if the economy was handled like in previous games ("don't spend like an idiot but don't worry about money too much, focus on troop composition and good tactics"). But here money is pretty tight and if you don't know about the troop limit you can absolutely brick yourself 20 hours in and start over.

If I remember correctly, they have been clear about this troop limit in developer's videos, the purpose of this troop limit is to force players to try different type of units throughout the course of the game rather than just rely on a few favorite low-level ones the whole game.

jackofshadows

Magister
Well, it might be a problem for player, not necessarily for the game. Isn't it perfectly fine for RPG to allow player to hit a wall? We're all been there I beleive. On the other hand, if we remember that this is a hueg, expensive, motherfucking console conqueror then yeah, you're absolutely right. They could fix this just by adding some train tokens perhaps to shops?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, it might be a problem for player, not necessarily for the game. Isn't it perfectly fine for RPG to allow player to hit a wall? We're all been there I beleive. On the other hand, if we remember that this is a hueg, expensive, motherfucking console conqueror then yeah, you're absolutely right. They could fix this just by adding some train tokens perhaps to shops?

They could've fixed it by not "fixing" anything in the first place, there was nothing wrong with the old system, it was clear, intuitive and logical. If they wanted players to use different units throughout they should've made all of them equally interesting and viable.

And if you do introduce some artificial caps maybe let the players know at least? I mean outside of developer blogs?

Shadenuat

Arcane
They say actual tactical challenges are neat, it's just that running around and clicking on chests in a very banal looking world is not neat. And that there's an element of grinding involved.

DeepOcean

Arcane

If I remember correctly, they have been clear about this troop limit in developer's videos, the purpose of this troop limit is to force players to try different type of units throughout the course of the game rather than just rely on a few favorite low-level ones the whole game.
Man, this sounds more like marketing speak to claim their lack of playtesting budget is something good for the player. Their true goal is to avoid wasting money with playtesting by getting rid of mechanics, it is the same bs strategy MMOs use to produce disposable content that doesnt require much in play testing. Why playtest something if you gonna get rid of it?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Man, Rock Paper Shotgun review took me by surprise :D
jQrIt8S.jpg

It is fantasy land far in the north. No deserts/jungles nearby.
Why there would be niggers in first place?

It is like complaining that film about old Norse conquests have too many whites.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
If someone is asking, game is fun. Enjoying it, will replay with another hero later, for sure.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
OMG. So I've been playing a self-imposed hard mode.

So for anyone as retarded as me - after the battle there's a small text in the bottom left corner saying "Hold H to Heal All". And I noticed it only 13 hours in.

Yes, you can instantly replenish all your slain troops after the battle for a small sum, as long as at least one member of a stack survives, instead of running back to the recruiter and buying units. So if you lose half of your army in a battle it'll costs you a few hundred instead of thousands.

I must've lost like 30k gold in the course of my playthrough for buying new troops instead of healing. And the whole time I was thinking "holy shit this economy is tight, very punishing for new players and casuals".

So yes, I should pay more attention but it's a retarded mechanics nonetheless. Resurrecting troops was an entire complex feature ecosystem in the old games, with units, heroes, NPCs and spells doing the task. Here you just press H.

The game is relatively entertaining but god, it's such a decline compared to the prequels.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Well I'm at 10 or 12 level (playing as mage) and have full stack (10) of archers, healers etc. Money never was a problem. Now I have like a 40k gold or something like that. Every battle I get more than healing cost. You just have to choose your battles (like in the old games) - when enemy is too strong go explore something else and come back later (with larger army - better units).
For a second you fooled me and i thought fantadomat actually bought a game.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
OMG. So I've been playing a self-imposed hard mode.

So for anyone as retarded as me - after the battle there's a small text in the bottom left corner saying "Hold H to Heal All". And I noticed it only 13 hours in.

Yes, you can instantly replenish all your slain troops after the battle for a small sum, as long as at least one member of a stack survives, instead of running back to the recruiter and buying units. So if you lose half of your army in a battle it'll costs you a few hundred instead of thousands.

I must've lost like 30k gold in the course of my playthrough for buying new troops instead of healing. And the whole time I was thinking "holy shit this economy is tight, very punishing for new players and casuals".

So yes, I should pay more attention but it's a retarded mechanics nonetheless. Resurrecting troops was an entire complex feature ecosystem in the old games, with units, heroes, NPCs and spells doing the task. Here you just press H.

The game is relatively entertaining but god, it's such a decline compared to the prequels.
I'm pretty sure this was highlighted in the first combat tutorial. :lol:

You really should pay more attention.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
For a second you fooled me and i thought fantadomat actually bought a game.
:smug:
Now you owe me a beer,poor potato fag.
ch6Wgx0.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom