Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Knights of the Chalice 2 - Editor & Module Creation

Dorateen

Arcane
I have been working in the Knights of the Chalice 2 Module Editor, recreating the latest content from the IceBlink version of Hearkenwold, which was updated earlier this month. These additions are a continuation of the adventure and expansion of the game with new maps to explore.

Release of the newest KotC2 mod version when? Nexus still says last update was July

I'm hoping to finish up and post the newest version by the end of this month or early January.

Tweed I gave a couple of dialogue options to kobold characters.

Dorateen

Arcane
Last month I was wrapping up the Khrystos Caverns dungeon, a multi-level cave system waiting for parties to explore. Here is one of the maps with a torch-lit entrance. There are multiple ways to enter the caves. This area also uses the "night" setting, which places a darker tint over the map.

hBT0oNI.jpg

Running into problems with the resident plantlife:

l5eGlvC.jpg

Yes, smart guy, a hostile garden.

OQeMtiM.jpg

Check out the combat log at the bottom of the screenshot below. Some dumb ettin pushed our party's rogue into a fire pit, knocking him unconscious. I had never seen that before. This is what I love about Knights of the Chalice combat, even in a battle that seems to be going well, the enemy still has a few tricks to surprise you.

HXQc7eT.jpg

The remainder of this month I will be finishing some locations in the wilderness. A large part is an optional adventure set up like an arena, in that the party has to fight their way through a series of maps. I'm certain to have all the maps completed by the end of December. It's the encounters that could take a little longer, as there are a lot of new creatures I need to build in the editor. But I still think four weeks should be enough time at least to get close to releasing the next updated version of the module.

Dorateen

Arcane
I downloaded the latest version of Knights of the Chalice 2, build 1.21, and have been testing all the new content added to the Hearkenwold adventure module. I still want to run through a few more times over the weekend, then I should be able to post the updated campaign early next week.

This is an alternate party I assembled to test every encounter with, just to make sure all the battles are triggering and resolving correctly without any issues.

7RTBRNX.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
I was doing some module testing, and there is quite a bit of customization options available to the player's animated sprites. I think setting the height to 75% scales better for the 64 x 64 tiles on a 2D grid.

H5Uxo9m.jpg

kvo1I8w.jpg

Mauman

Learned
So, I'm trying my hand at some modding and I wonder if it's possible to change how enchanting/recharging works? I can't seem to find any options to mess with this.

Is it hard coded?

Dorateen

Arcane
I think systems like enchanting and how wands work are probably hard coded into the engine. There might be files you can edit, but you would be working outside the editor. I would suggest asking on the Heroic Fantasy Games forums, or email Pierre directly. If it can be done, he will help you out.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm back working in the Knights of the Chalice 2 Module Editor, and I wanted to give a little update. Last month I released a new version of Hearkenwold for IceBlink, which included a side adventure called Edinmoor. I am now inserting this content as part of the KotC2 module. It can be treated as a new self-contained Adventure Module, only integrated into the existing campaign.

Here are a couple of screenshots showing the party's approach and entering Edinmoor court:

jwXvvYn.jpg

zAlFEgc.jpg

Also, in June I received very thorough and excellent feedback from someone who played Hearkenwold completely. I have fixes and some improvements that will be part of the next version I upload.

As of now, almost all the adventure maps (dungeons and outdoor areas) have been added to the module. Then it is just a matter of finishing conversations and encounters. I am still on track to make this all ready and available by the end of the summer.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm back working in the Knights of the Chalice 2 Module Editor, and I wanted to give a little update. Last month I released a new version of Hearkenwold for IceBlink, which included a side adventure called Edinmoor. I am now inserting this content as part of the KotC2 module. It can be treated as a new self-contained Adventure Module, only integrated into the existing campaign.

Here are a couple of screenshots showing the party's approach and entering Edinmoor court:

jwXvvYn.jpg

zAlFEgc.jpg

Also, in June I received very thorough and excellent feedback from someone who played Hearkenwold completely. I have fixes and some improvements that will be part of the next version I upload.

As of now, almost all the adventure maps (dungeons and outdoor areas) have been added to the module. Then it is just a matter of finishing conversations and encounters. I am still on track to make this all ready and available by the end of the summer.
Maybe I should play Hearkenwold after I finish the tutorial.

Dorateen

Arcane
Pierre helped me update all the Barbarians in Hearkenwold with the new Spirit Animals and special abilities. We found there are 212 creatures assigned with the Barbarian class. They now have sonic breath weapons, in addition to the other features...

The barbarians in the starting castle? I think a first level party can forget about taking them on. And all those Khrystos Bugbears running around?

:shredder:

The new upgraded creatures will appear in the next version of the module planned for release at the end of the summer.

AaoJanu.jpg

IzNq72I.jpg

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The barbarians in the starting castle? I think a first level party can forget about taking them on. And all those Khrystos Bugbears running around?

It was already extremely hard for a first level party, are they not level 3?
The only way to do it before was to get a lot of lucky rolls and use a tentacled horror or another domain summon.

Dorateen

Arcane

The only way to do it before was to get a lot of lucky rolls and use a tentacled horror or another domai n summon.

Yes, they are level four and meant to be something for weaker characters to come back and try when they have more experience. But the new class abilities, really makes a group of barbarians a formidable threat.

Mauman

Learned

The only way to do it before was to get a lot of lucky rolls and use a tentacled horror or another domai n summon.

Yes, they are level four and meant to be something for weaker characters to come back and try when they have more experience. But the new class abilities, really makes a group of barbarians a formidable threat.
While the breath weapon is great, I still think porpoise/eagle are the stars of the show. Take those two at level 1 and grab the breath at level 5. There is a case to be make for crocodile though considering underwater is one of the few things not covered by eagle.

Being able to ignore mirrors/concealment or flying over all of the shit me and my enemies throw out (like quicksand or grease, never mind elevations, water, and natural hazards) is a fucking godsend.

That being said, I still want to try a Drake barbarian at some point. It's just been kinda hard to fit that into a party. Needed a grappler/bull rusher for my current runthrough and (let's face it) half-giant is the way to go for that.

edit - on a side note, I think Pierre should have focused on giving (and having the a.i. use) eagle totem instead of this massive elephant surge I'm seeing. Barbarians in the game are still pretty weak to stuff like quicksand in the game and I haven't seen a single one use eagle totem to get out of it/avoid it.

I can't believe I'm advocating for my own self-destruction here :P

Also, spirit animals are affected by silence. That's a good way to shut down any breath weapon fuckery if need be.

On a side note, I'd like to see spirit animals usable in dialogue (like domains for instance). It'd be nice to be able to use a spirit animal charge to use eagle to fly up and grab the cat in Finchbury for instance.

2nd edit - oh hey, I just saw a barbarian use eagle totem and proceeded to run over my quicksand and elephant breath my guys. Yay!

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
One of the puzzles I enjoyed in Augury of Chaos was the scrambled messages, like the Sharkman Druid's letter. With Pierre's help, I was able to set up the interface for such a coded message to appear for the first time in Hearkenwold, as part of the upcoming Edinmoor adventure. This screen shows the message partially decoded:

ubjjPkQ.jpg

The process was pretty straightforward, working from the Sharkman message and script as defaults and adjusting accordingly. The import function of the Module Editor is a very powerful tool.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
As we approach the three year anniversary of the release to kickstarter backers, I'm pleased to announce that I am returning to work in the Knights of the Chalice 2 Module Editor. There is a lot of new content in the IceBlink version of Hearkenwold, which will now be included as part of the ever expanding campaign in KotC2.

I have already started on rebuilding the River Wilderness areas. Pierre is helping me with the scripting so that the token of the player's Party Leader can be switched to a boat token when choosing the option to sail on the water.

x5GoGm6.jpg

We still need to create a command that will return the token back the Party Leader's original token when leaving the river. But it looks like this should be working by the next update. It should also go without saying, given the abstract 2D design of the module, Hearkenwold really is best played using tokens to represent the characters (although I still like the original pixelated KotC sprites). If a player is displaying the party as animated sprites, then the Party Leader would simply appear walking on the water. Pierre is also working on an override command, which could be used in this one instance to switch the character display to tokens, until no longer needed.

Here is another encounter while exploring.

R8hC5Fg.jpg

Finally, a few updates back, there was a new feature added to the Module Editor tools: animated banner. I decided to attach a couple to the walls of Edinmoor Keep. Unlike the other castles/fortresses found in this adventure, these seem to fit the pageantry of this court. In game, the banners will flap around, making the static map a little more dynamic. I also added a new mountain transition on the east side of the screen, which leads to another one of the new locations.

NbKFbKr.jpg

If I can continue working over the next two months, I think I should have the updated conversion of the module ready by September. Or by October, latest.

Dorateen

Arcane
I have a new video that shows the script commands for changing the Party Leader token back and forth in action. The party has already obtained a boat to travel along the river. When they choose to exit the water, the boat image is automatically switched back to the original character's token. If animated sprites had been used, this would temporarily swap out to the boat token, but then revert back to the sprite. There is also some of the new fog effect used on this map.

In addition, I have been making a pass through the city of Skardale. Anyone who has played the module knows how this place is populated with dozens of NPCs to interact with by clicking on their home. Some are for providing atmosphere to the location, some are quest givers, and some can lead to combat. But due to the abstract nature of the map design, the player did not actually enter these homes. This is because the original IceBlink version of the module uses a separate conversation interface. So there was never any consideration for displaying the adventuring map during these interactions.

What I am now doing is to use the larger display image of the streets of Skardale during these conversations. It is something I probably should have been doing when converting to the Knights of the Chalice 2 engine, for times when an NPC is not visible on the map. Moving forward, I am using this method such as in the town of Sinestra.

Kf7D6xO.jpg

jeoJaJz.jpg

Besides all this, I also was able to get a lot done on the Psionicist adventure. As far as the rest of the upcoming content, I should have all the maps loaded into the module in the next couple of weeks. Then I just need to finish the remaining conversations and encounters. I'll definitely be working into September, but should hopefully have the new version ready by the end of next month.

Dorateen

Arcane
I was able to complete the Psionicist adventure last month, as well as continue working in the other new areas of the Hearkenwold campaign. There is still the Crimson Cutlass (a scenario aboard a multi-deck sailing vessel) and Hathgar Wiles (plateau maps with associated caves) to be finished. This will certainly take me the rest of the month. But hopefully I can get everything done by the end of September.

I don't want to reveal too much about the Psion dungeon, so instead, here is an encounter with kobolds from the desert town of Sinestra. Normally, the party at this level should be able to mop up these critters in battle. However the smoky quarters use the fog terrain feature, which impairs movement and visibility. This, in addition to the 15 against 6 numeric advantage including kobold spellcasters, means the fight can still be interesting. Especially if the party has been exploring elsewhere and stumble into this confrontation at less than full strength.

Ae3LNDH.jpg

wbWXdDq.jpg

Here is an NPC met in the forest. She is reacting to a paladin party member's greeting.

TCqpqfe.jpg

If all goes according to plan, the next update will be the release of the new version of the adventure module.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I think that I have a little problem with scripting in KotC2 eidtor.

Made a dialog in which some guy wants 5 items: stones, so I made:
  • Stone item in editor and place 5 of them on the map. Player can collect them, they stack in the inventory.
  • The dialog answer non-selectible if player don't have all of the things from the list: Stone, Stone, Stone, Stone, Stone.
It doesn't work. Answer is non-selectible when player has all of the 5 stones in the inventory. What do I miss? Does anybody know?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom