Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Knights of the Chalice 2 - Editor & Module Creation

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the problem is, most people still don't own Knights of the Chalice 2 yet. It looks like a module released for a game that isn't available to purchase (outside of emailing Pierre).
Fair point. When looking at it like that, you actually have a good opportunity here in that you can be ready with a tested and polished module when the game is released to the wider public and the wider public realises that it sucks. But even so, you could make at least a little bit of noise.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Dorateen
Nevermind the CTD from my previous post, probably a corrupted save, deleting two saves and creating a new one seems to have fixed the problem.
I don't know if it was caused by that spider demon fight or not but that's the only bug i encountered so far.

Aside from this, there is a shitload of quest keys and parchments that don't disappear so inventory management is problematic, even with two containers, i like to keep a lot of different weapons just in case even if i never use them.
I'm a swords hoarder, there isn't any known cure for that affliction yet, i'm afraid.

Dorateen

Arcane
if you kill the demon before his goons, the combat ends brutally

That fight is working as intended, but I can see it might be an issue. I used an OnDeath script on the spider demon to cut to the narration image and transition the party back to the main map. Essentially, it's a gimmick of killing the boss and the encounter ends.

I could have sworn there was a specific "end combat" script command in the module editor, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I can certainly add the appropriate xp award, and there isn't any loot. That whole sequence does lock the player out once they proceed, so fair warning.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Playing at much slower pace than Canoli, but I found two microbugs:

Tree on the South looks like it's clickable but it isn't. Southern outskirts of Khyn.

Missing name in the text.

Dorateen

Arcane
Thanks, AdolfSatan I have fixed those two, and I am working on a solution for the encounter Darth mentioned. I'm going to try to give all the minions the condition Dead when the boss is killed, and see if that will automatically award XP to the party and register as a victory. These changes will be in the next update.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I guess i'm close to the end now, party level 9, attribute potions are overpowered but i couldn't resist i only bought 5 (1 each character) early on and then another five later while searching what to do next.

Aside from the Barbarians, whom i can't fight yet (aside from one who dropped a nice rapier) and the rune tower with the an area i can't unlock, i think i explored everything.

Somewhat, the main quest gets stuck and i should probably trigger something when getting back to the manor but i didn't.

I killed every fucking living standing crawling thing, and beat all arena levels, maybe there is something else to do in the castle west of the southern huge city, probably my fault for skip reading half the dialogs.

Arena level 2 was the worse by far, but the first fight of the level 3 could have been tricky.
Psionicist + energy cone killed 3/4 of the mages and it was over.

Level 2 with basiliks and cokatrices was really something but at level 8, the bard song gives +2 to saving throws and 4/5 characters have incapacitating spells (sleep, stun, confusion ...), all that's left if winning the initiative war with the bard close to the top.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
You don't have a paladin or champion in your party, right? Something to consider down the road, if you ever want to replay, that guild quest is like a separate mini-adventure, and could be fun to tackle. Even if you don't enjoy the story, I think it has a few interesting fights.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You don't have a paladin or champion in your party, right? Something to consider down the road, if you ever want to replay, that guild quest is like a separate mini-adventure, and could be fun to tackle. Even if you don't enjoy the story, I think it has a few interesting fights.

Nope, none of that, i'll probably replay it down the road with a completely different party.
I'm running a mantis rogue, half-giant gladiator, kobold psionicist, human bard and elf druid (or elf bard and human druid, i'm not sure)
The rogue seems quite useful to avoid traps and open locks, i'm afraid of what would happen without him.

Makes me think i don't think i was given any guild quest, many characters i've encountered talk about their guilds but i've yet to find them.

Also, looking at your map, the eastern path out of skardale is still closed and it looks like there is quite a lot of content out there.

OHmNMlG.jpg

Any tips to unlock the main quest and that eastern skardale door?
Should i buy the barbari language book to deal with the barbarians west of skardale (it's annoying because the dwarven language one is a quest item and i can't get rid of it and i suppose all language books are quest items)
Was to do once you visited the manor and found nothing?
Or did i miss something there?

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Also, looking at your map, the eastern path out of skardale is still closed and it looks like there is quite a lot of content out there.

East of Skardale, is the continuation of the main quest, after completing one or more of the guild adventures. I am working on that content in IceBlink right now.

For the main quest, here is some spoiler-ish information:

You mentioned visiting the Manor, were you able to actually get there? The important part is to confront the villain at the Manor, and then report back to Castle. That will trigger the next stage, which is to go to Relmfur and then Skardale. The player can explore on their own, which is why it is not necessary to follow the narrative.

The big event in Skardale is resolving the conflict between the city and Relmfur. After that you would report back to the Castle, which is as far as the main quest goes.

For the guild quests, there is an NPC in the castle you need to speak to, and he will unlock the area where all the guilds are.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'll try this but i might have broken the main quest chain.

First, you can get to skardale as soon as you get to the dwarf village by succeding an intimidation check (i think it was intimidation) and getting access to the stagecoach to skardale.
Then, first time you get to skardale vice-roy, you can attack him or spare him (and i spared him).
Maybe that's why i can't report back to the castle, i'll check the manor thoroughly again tonight.

About guild quests, i spoke to everyone in the starting castle.

About some side quests:

I met lizards in the area after you're abducted but after a reload, i didn't pick the i met another lizard option and i don't get any new dialog option with the "starting lizard".
Trolls quest, if you fight the trolls, you can't kill them but you can't answer the riddle again either and you can't even change your mind and kill the troll king, fucker, i should have chopped his head off when i had the chance.
By the way, the answer to the riddle isn't poison (nor Poison), obviously, is it not a bug? a specific poison name or something else?

Dorateen

Arcane
Darth Canoli

It should still be possible to follow the main quest line even if you do things out of sequence.

When you spared the viceroy, did you offer to join the rebellion or say you did not want to get involved? Both are fine, but if you agree to help the rebellion there is still more to do.

You need to go back to speak to Sly Silverfingers about the guild quests. He is in the East side of the castle, near the left corner of the screen.

The encounter with the desert lizardmen, mentioning the lizardman from the castle is just a bit of reactivity. Most options will lead to combat, unless you choose the [Intelligence] option, which allows you to avoid the fight. There are more lizardmen as part of the ranger/druid guild quest, and that will lead to finishing up with the starting lizardman from the castle.

To kill the trolls, you need to bring a camel carcass to the pile of bones right outside their cave. It's true, the riddle is a one-shot attempt (unless you reload and try again) and it is a bit obscure. Poison is not the answer, but a good guess. There is an expression called "Fool's Gold" it means a cheap imitation, fake or counterfeit gold with no value. That ties into the reason why the trolls ran from their king.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Weird, i talk to everyone in the castle every time i drop by and i had the message "search opportunity with sly" for a while and just now, i got some more options .

By the way, i didn't write down any name so it looks like i'm fucked and can't start any guild quest.

As for the Viceroy
Yes, i told them i'd help the rebellion because there was a line about the knights of asturia or something, it'd have been nice to be able to change your mind as long as you didn't act one way or the other by talking to the other guy in the fortress.
Earlier, i met the guy the viceroy asked me to rally and then chose to kill him and i think this option break the quest, or maybe not but i'll try to go with the flow and not kill him this time.

As for the manor
It's weird as well because i know i interracted at least twice with the 'i'm not sure what it is) clickable element in the middle and only got a picture and some story bits.
Then i came back, clicked it and the lich appeared and i could go on, fight it, destroy the phylactery and fight it again.
I can talk to the lady wizard in the castle about it but the guy giving us the main quest doesn't react.

More tomorrow, i'll try to complete skardale quest on the rebel side.

Dorateen

Arcane
Regarding the guild sponsors, I am seriously considering adding a book with the names of these NPCs somewhere in the gameworld, so that players will have a reference. In the meantime, if anyone is stuck and can't remember the names to type in, just send me a message. This is on me for adhering stubbornly to old school sensibilities. Back in the day, playing a game like Wizardry VII, I would write down the names of every NPC I met so I could ask information about them. Older games like the first Might and Magics, I kept notebooks of details written down for later reference.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Sure, i did too but you didn't have to in KotC nor in KotC 2 so i guess you should add a line about it in the mod description as a warning, the book is a good idea too, i had the same problem in the dwarven citadel (which is closed now, problem solved)

Apparently, a dwarven woman wants to be a mage, i guess she was from either the village or the citadel but i probably didn't pay attention so i couldn't write down her name.

Same for the two guys from the first city in the west who wanted to get dirt on wordsmith (i'm not sure about his name) and he asks their names if you betray them, you have 3 options but no confirmation you gave the right ones (at least, you can go back and check and get one of their names)

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I have a new version of Hearkenwold posted to the Nexus page, this is 1.13.2

• Fixes a few oversights that I missed
  • Re-designed an encounter where killing the boss now sets the other enemies to run away. Note: the battle will resume and on the turn of each minion they will automatically disappear until the end of combat
  • Added a book in a random location that contains the names of guild members. No other details are given, the player will have to deduce the significance of such information
Players about to embark on the Halls of Hamhock adventrue, I would definitely grab this version. The file can be downloaded at the link below.

https://www.nexusmods.com/knightsofthechalice2/mods/5

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Imma restart my playthrough because I haven't had the time to touch this since last week (and even then I hadn't done much) and I forgot where I was. It's also a good excuse make sure I have a class available for every guild quest this time. Which brings me to the subject: How are the classes assigned with regard to guilds? I assume something like this?

WIZARD - Psion/Psychs/Sorcerer/Warlock/Wizard
CLERIC - Bishop/Cleric
PALADIN - Champion/Paladin
FIGHTER - Barbarian/Death Knight/Fighter/Gladiator/Mage Knight/Monk/Samurai
RANGER - Druid/Ranger/Storm Warrior
THIEF - Bard/Rogue

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
WIZARD - Psion/Psychs/Sorcerer/Warlock/Wizard
CLERIC - Bishop/Cleric
PALADIN - Champion/Paladin
FIGHTER - Barbarian/Death Knight/Fighter/Gladiator/Mage Knight/Monk/Samurai
RANGER - Druid/Ranger/Storm Warrior
THIEF - Bard/Rogue

This is correct, except I added Psychic Healer to the CLERIC guild, and Psychic Warrior to FIGHTER guild. I also allowed the Mage Knight to join either FIGHTER or WIZARD guilds.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Thanks for confirming! Is the manual posted already? If so, I couldn't find it on the nexus page.

This looks interesting. What did you dislike about the UI, if you don't mind telling me. I thought the hotkeys were more than sufficient.
p much everything in there can be vastly improved. Some of it easily, some with quite a bit of extra work.
I made a very quick draft today for what would be the easiest: chatbox and some graphical fancy on the menus, and sent an email to Pierre to see if I can get him interested in allowing me to mod the UI.

And even then it still requires quite a bit of fiddling. I'm not too fond of the screen-wide box, but don't know how adjustable or not the engine may allow it to be.

And of course, this kinda shit would require a few passes and revisions in stylistic consistency but could look really cool once properly done.

curds

Magister
Would be legal to remake Dark Sun : Shattered Lands + Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager on KoTC2's engine?
In my completely uneducated opinion, I would say technically illegal but that nobody would bother actually taking legal action. Somebody owns the rights to those games, but would they care enough to enforce their rights? Chances are low that they would even be aware of KotC2, let alone any mods for it.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thanks for confirming! Is the manual posted already? If so, I couldn't find it on the nexus page.

This looks interesting. What did you dislike about the UI, if you don't mind telling me. I thought the hotkeys were more than sufficient.
p much everything in there can be vastly improved. Some of it easily, some with quite a bit of extra work.
I made a very quick draft today for what would be the easiest: chatbox and some graphical fancy on the menus, and sent an email to Pierre to see if I can get him interested in allowing me to mod the UI.

And even then it still requires quite a bit of fiddling. I'm not too fond of the screen-wide box, but don't know how adjustable or not the engine may allow it to be.

And of course, this kinda shit would require a few passes and revisions in stylistic consistency but could look really cool once properly done.
Holy Shit! This looks awesome as heck! I hope this gets officially implemented by Pierre!

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So did Pierre implement all races and classes yet?

Only from day 1...

Interesting.
What about increasing the top dialog box by two and increasing the dialog police size?
In the current format, reading anything is quite painful in high resolution.

That's the main reason why i skipped half the text while playing Hearkenwold (not finished yet)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom