Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
this...

this fucking...

this motherfucking battle behind the castle gates

the pit fiend can cast six SLAs a turn, what the fuck

the megadragon has MIRROR IMAGE BECAUSE WHY NOT and blasts my greater-fire-protected dudes for 100+ damage with the breath attack

i luck out on initiative, prismatic void all the casters away, sammy does a double-kill with a single skewer attack + cleave on the pit fiend and ice devil, so far so good

ARE YOU SHITTING ME THESE FUCKS ARE GETTING REINFORCEMENTS?!

quicksand + prismatic spray contains the incoming fuckers from the north, ooooooof

WHAT, MORE COMING FROM THE SOUTH?!

STINKING CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUD

ok it's only the megadragon left i just have to strip away its mirror image and then the sammy...

oh

more dudes from the west

and their magus gets a 20 initiative roll and he has all the assorted foresights and improved initiatives because why not

accelerated spell, horrid wilting (dead, dead, dead, dead), mass ectoplasmic cocoon (encased, encased, encased, encased)

oyd5a.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, this one is hard (the only one with the very last battle I thought were hard in chapter 4 by the standards of the game). Be careful not to win the encounter with a character too far away in the nortwhest nor west in particular (basically don't chase a mage away there) because it could trigger a next encounter as soon as you win this one, which is very not as hard but there's little chance you would win it on first try with your party only in half good shape.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
hory shiet

i beat it

i burnt through like 6 rez scrolls, but i beat it

one guy didn't survive (because of a bug lolololo frailty never goes away on deaders ;^)), but i beat it

took a hundred million billion reloads, but i beat it

now i truly feel like a better person

highlight of the battle was its very end when apart from mooks the only big nasty was the bullshit megadragon, with ~350 hp left and 2 mirror images

the next 3 actors are: erzimon, bruva barachiel the sammy, dergon

:big brain thinking:

erzimon uses the otherwise useless scorching ray to strip the dergon's mirror images away, then uses time control on bruva barachiel

if bruva barachiel can't score his critical tango, it's reload time and i might as well tie myself a noose

SKEWER -250

SKEWER -250

AHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AND THEY SAID THE SAMMY WAS WORTHLESS

FUCK

YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I recommend to each and every one of you to try a full caster party. It will be a rocky start, but pretty soon (in my case, after the goblin arena) you will destroy everything standing in your way.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
We shouldn't acknowledge fake victories from weak people who use assistance to finish the game, back in my day we couldn't even heal outside of combat.

Also, when is someone going to put together a KotC 2 avatar pack for profiles?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Didn't felipepe make one aeons ago?

I recommend to each and every one of you to try a full caster party. It will be a rocky start, but pretty soon (in my case, after the goblin arena) you will destroy everything standing in your way.
Well yeah, it's 3.5, nothing beats high level magic in being OP, but at the same time you miss on the chance to use all those sick-ass weapons.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Only for the first game.

And yeah there's some very nice weapons near the end. King Garamond's mace is great, but the vorpal axe is even better, I was doing hundreds in damage with that thing.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, the vorpal axe has skewer and then consistently makes big damage with high enough attack, I thought the mace which kills undead, the +5 reach weapon with high bypassing damage reduction and the dispelling weapons, you find one in chapter 2 and one before the spider queen I think, were very useful from times to times, I also switched to elemental weapons when appropriate. I think it's also worth mentioning that there are quite several satisfying light weapons to use as secondary weapons to find as well. I would not exchange my warriors for more spell casters, what's fun is playing with my own diverse party.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
One thing that's cruelly lacking is inventory space, it should be doubled or tripled at least.
Did i mention having to rely on containers is the worst idea one ever had?

If someone wanted to copy a very user friendly inventory management system, Wizardry 8 comes to mind, when you open a character's inventory, you also open the party inventory and have easy access to everyone's inventory.
It's not perfect because you have to scroll the party inventory but you can order items as you like and in the end, it works quite well.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
CryptRat
Replay the game in a week. Just to the upper sewer.

I think you'll find that after the initial experience and joy at finding a good combat system you'll come to realize that the encounters are actually designed by a complete moron. When you're not full of those chemicals that competitive people like me get when they overcome difficulty.

You see, my first playthrough, I shared your general positivity. But on the second go, with a much more powerful party, the absolute lack of quality when it comes to how the campaign and the encounters are designed becomes apparent.

Anyone who liked it, please try it again after a week and see if the feeling lasts. It did not for me and so in the end can consider this but a mediocre, untested, poorly designed effort.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I disagree, while i didn't complete it yet, i stopped my first playthrough after the gob king and the second, still ongoing in the beginning of the fourth chapter and i didn't experience what you did.

Aside from inventory management, what's lacking the most is the relative freedom the first one offers (even if it could be vastly improved) and some Fallout 1/Arcanum quest design wouldn't hurt.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I also stopped my first one after the gob king. When I say "second playthrough" I mean after you beat the game.

Until you beat it you still have this competitive drive blinding you.

The experience I'm describing sets in only after you've beaten the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dispelling weapons, that greatsword in particular, would be much more useful if the dispel check wasn't 15% because everything is buffered up the ass :nocountryforshitposters:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Until you beat it you still have this competitive drive blinding you.
Then one main point we may disagree on is that you think it's a small thing and I think it's a big thing. I built my own party and the game provided varied, consistent and fun challenge to overcome to this party, a campaign which provides that is by default alright to me, that makes it better than what most games I play have to offer.

Although if there's one game I could replay then it's this one, I'm not sure I'm going to replay the game for the simple reason that I rarely replay games I've beaten.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I don't replay games either. I made an exception with this one because my feelings seemed overly positive in retrospect. I suspected that because I enjoy challenging tb combat so much, I might have given the game too much leeway.

And that's exactly what I did. When you aren't driven by the joy of finally playing a game like this again, the awfulness of the encounters becomes apparent.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
One thing that's cruelly lacking is inventory space, it should be doubled or tripled at least.
Did i mention having to rely on containers is the worst idea one ever had?

If someone wanted to copy a very user friendly inventory management system, Wizardry 8 comes to mind, when you open a character's inventory, you also open the party inventory and have easy access to everyone's inventory.
It's not perfect because you have to scroll the party inventory but you can order items as you like and in the end, it works quite well.
Problem with shared inventory is that the idea falls apart when you have to split the party for mission. A simpler solution might have been
A single gems bag where every gem you pick goes by default
Spellbooks in casters where all scrolls they pick go to (and are easily browseable) by default as well
Adding sort/filter buttons

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Final battle didn't look that bad on first glance.

And then...

> Constantly spawning high-level, immune-to-everything, prebuffed-up-the-ass casters galore
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA meaning each spellcast is a concentration check
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA because Pierre couldn't add an actual fucking effect for taking damage each turn so the fake-floor is literally all fire squares
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA means I can't use stuff like grease and (especially) quicksand, which means my arsenal against the bullshit mages has just been cut in half
> Since THE FLOOR IS LAVA, every single fucking enemy in this fight is given fire immunity to mask this, EVEN THE FUCKING MUMMIES ARE FIRE-IMMUNE (and that's without even mentioning that they have SLA: Mirror Image because W H Y N O T)
> All cloud effects disappear on next turn because why not I guess, meaning I'm now deprived of both quicksand AND stinking cloud (at least after the first turn of cast) and the retardo casters can run rampant while I continue to bash my face against a brick wall

I feel like declaring war on France

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Final battle didn't look that bad on first glance.

And then...

> Constantly spawning high-level, immune-to-everything, prebuffed-up-the-ass casters galore
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA meaning each spellcast is a concentration check
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA because Pierre couldn't add an actual fucking effect for taking damage each turn so the fake-floor is literally all fire squares
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA means I can't use stuff like grease and (especially) quicksand, which means my arsenal against the bullshit mages has just been cut in half
> Since THE FLOOR IS LAVA, every single fucking enemy in this fight is given fire immunity to mask this, EVEN THE FUCKING MUMMIES ARE FIRE-IMMUNE (and that's without even mentioning that they have SLA: Mirror Image because W H Y N O T)
> All cloud effects disappear on next turn because why not I guess, meaning I'm now deprived of both quicksand AND stinking cloud (at least after the first turn of cast) and the retardo casters can run rampant while I continue to bash my face against a brick wall

I feel like declaring war on France

That's why you kill everything on the first round. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom