Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Found a pretty funny bug that happens when you try to cast heals on people as a leader.
Had that happen to me several times with the potion of water breathing, it was not so much amusing as infuriating. I had no idea it had to do with casting as the party leader.

put them to sleep or stun or something, I did that and it was p quick
You forgot "reload until they randomly decide to spend their surprise round faffing about instead of killing you".

but yeah just git gud bro

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I had grandiose plan of playing KotC 2 on my vacation away from civilization, but goblin arena fight bugged due to Swallow Whole for the third time and my patience is running out. I just cant force myself to sit through another hour watching how 50 rock dumb NPC killing each other.

I still trying to persuade myself that I was not duped for 100$ and Pierre will fix the game sooner or later.
At least it no longer crashes each minute after second patch.

Latro

Arcane
Well, I had grandiose plan of playing KotC 2 on my vacation away from civilization, but goblin arena fight bugged due to Swallow Whole for the third time and my patience is running out. I just cant make myself sit through another hour watching how 50 rock dumb NPC killing each other.

I still trying to persuade myself that I was not duped for 100$ and Pierre will fix the game sooner or later.
he's already put out two bug quashing patches in the span of a week, forward the save to pierre through e-mail

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Couple of questions as I'm still waiting for public release version.

For modding can user made modules turn off gold for level ups?

And for how much this game requires reloading how speedy is it? Is there quick saves/loads or gota go through a menu every time.

Also can you reload in the middle of enemy ai action or gota wait for their turns to be over.

No it's hardcoded.

Reloading is fast, but fights can take a long time.

Yes, you can.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
felipepepe I played your module yesterday (still didn't touch augury of chaos), it's good but a bit claustrophobic.

Also checked the editor when i realized i didn't have enough gold to level up to try to remove that gold for level up nonsense but didn't find any option to do so, i hope it's not hardcoded...

Will review when i complete it.

I'll also my skills with the editor before the summer's end.
Yep, fun encounters, shows you how fun KOTC (or 3.5) can be.

How about a new thread for editor? felipepepe
I just hit my first blocker, trying to "teleport" the party to another map. The game just crashes to desktop after the "loading" screen.
(Obviously i copied the "set character position to x/y on map "xxx" script" from the game module, but no luck...)

Mortmal

Arcane
Now a gamebreaking bug in the" special level" you know the pool of lava etc.. characters cant walk after a few steps. Maybe i should ask for a refund after all.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Found a pretty funny bug that happens when you try to cast heals on people as a leader.

Never realized it was the leader that triggered this. Anyway, the solution until bug gets fixed is to click on the name of whomever you want to heal in the upper corner list.

Silly Germans

Did all the sugar that was blown up his ass find its way to Pierre's head, inconceivable !

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
should I go for the goblin arena or the DEATH SNARE (TM) first?

since opening one of the tombs summoned a fucking GHOST DRAGON I can only assume the arena is the way to go, right? :neveraskedforthis:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you go arena first you cuck yourself out of a lot of XP and 50K gold.
Death Snare is however very hard.

For the ghost dragon, one of the tombs has a Mace of Disruption ("Exorcist") that most people just bop the dragon with until it fails its save vs instant death.

You are gonna rage and restart once you see what happens after the tombs.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Have fun fighting 6 centipedes, 2 of which cast 20 damage AoE acid splash while your characters are 1 HP from fighting slimes and a minotaur.
Just grease him and summon a skeleton or an elemental bro, he ain't hard.
IIRC he's got a +5 reflex save so you don't get great odds on greasing him even with 20 int wizard and since he's large size the grease has to target his entire token so he doesn't get a bonus to the save, and there's the fact that your wizard has gotten webbed thanks to his surprise round. Then you have to out skill his mirror image and blur prebuffs. Anything's possible with the reload spell I guess.
50-60% is "great odds" to me. At least in this game.
This is your brain on Pierre, folks.
At least in this game

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Death Snare is however very hard.
Don't listen to this, he has a a Pokémon avatar. How can you trust someone with a fucking Pokémon avatar?

Death Snare is easily doable at level 3-4 with a somewhat functional party if you have access to all your resources at the start and you have bought a bunch of potions.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
After having beaten it nearly twice, I think the game isn't much fun.

I know, this is a weird thing to say after playing it 70+ hours.
But I mean it just isn't.

Rolling characters isn't fun, due to the way your stat block is aligned.
Redoing encounters and rolling for initiative isn't fun, especially not if you already have high DEX and Improved Initiative and still lose.
Concentration checks without a proper Concentration skill you can invest in are not fun.
CR 10 encounters are certainly fun to beat in a masochistic way, the first time, but once you know the game well, it's not as if they particularly make the game fun.
Enemies scripted to open fights with Web/Entangle/Quicksand, while effective and 'optimal,' are not much fun to fight. Imagine if your DM in P&P opened every fight with a tedious AoE disable. Not only would it get old, you would also get pretty tired of rolling Reflex.

What motivated me was the challenge, and the great combat engine. But honestly, the module itself is more than tedious. It is also completely illogical and nonsensical. Even though it is a game, one should still try to make modules have a certain verisimilitude. This one is just so utterly abstract and arbitrary. I don't know, guys.

feelsbadman

NJClaw
"Easily doable"

Like, you don't have to prove to anyone you are hot shit, not on the Codex. I have beaten it at level 2 with my minmax XP bank party. Is it 'doable'? Yes. Is it 'easily doable'? By what definition of easy? By what definition of doable? Can you do it? Yes. Should you? I don't know.

Yeah, it's actually not bad on second thought. Great fun.

On deeper reflection, I don't feel like I accomplished anything. Did I beat the game? Yes. How did I beat it? Through intelligence and skill? No. By reloading until I got initiative, and by then hoping enemies fail their save vs disabling spells or debuffs. Is that something worth being proud of? No, not really.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

No shit, I could tell you that already after finishing chapter 1. By far the most un-fun and stupid part of this game is how utterly unrewarding beating all the ridiculously overpowered fights is. If your reward for an end-chapter bossfight is "I will now strip you naked and teleport you into the dungeon of assrape", or when busting through one death blob grants you the honour of bashing your face against a concrete death blob wall of doom without giving you even as much a broken penny in return, you know there is something fundamentally wrong with your fucking design.

Like I said, Pierre never played this legit, and I can bet my right asscheek on that. You can say that 'zumg he's a munchkin autist so this is for munchkins' all you want when from what I can tell you can't even make a turbo-munchkin party in the first place that wouldn't require savescumming nearly every enounter a dozen fucking times. Honestly the state of this campaign is downright fucking insulting.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I too refuse to believe he actually beat this shit legit, unless he is somehow thinking reloading 100 times is good gameplay. I am all for difficult games but I just don't believe he did it, without recorded video footage.

Check the Kickstarter demo videos: he lost every encounter in them...

Basically, what gave me the illusion of fun is my own personality. I like overcoming challenge for its own sake. It doesn't matter what the challenge is, but if it's stupid and I commit myself to it, I will have fun overcoming it. But that's all motivated by me intrinsically as a person; the game actually added nothing. You don't even get phat loot for fighting these bizarre encounters.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I know, this is a weird thing to say after playing it 70+ hours.
But I mean it just isn't.

Rolling characters isn't fun, due to the way your stat block is aligned.
Redoing encounters and rolling for initiative isn't fun, especially not if you already have high DEX and Improved Initiative and still lose.
Concentration checks without a proper Concentration skill you can invest in are not fun.
Yeah, I agree with all of this and it makes me wish I didn't plop $100 on this. His new modules are probably going to be equally shit. Hell, I'd at least sit here rolling characters if it had point buy instead of the bullshit attribute system it has.

Like I said, Pierre never played this legit, and I can bet my right asscheek on that. You can say that 'zumg he's a munchkin autist so this is for munchkins' all you want when from what I can tell you can't even make a turbo-munchkin party in the first place that wouldn't require savescumming nearly every enounter a dozen fucking times. Honestly the state of this campaign is downright fucking insulting.
The munchkins builds can beat a fight after reloading 30 times. The non-optimal builds can never win. Fucking sucks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Trying to roll up my meme 5 wizard party, already lost motivation trying to get 20 Dex / 20 Int / 10+ Con because it's absolutely ass, and NOT having 20 Dex just makes you reload more.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's certainly not the best first impression and Pierre is in for a rude awakening if he releases the module in its current state since nobody is going to go through that kind of hell just to finish this. Aside from reloading the module is obviously meant to be played in a certain way, including some encounters requiring very specific weapons or spells to win. You may think yourself clever by avoiding a fight, but all that does it fuck you out of experience and loot and you'll need every gold coin you can find.

Hardest battles for me were the vampire mummy fight in the tomb, king empowered assrape, the gas chamber, queen fuck you imma cast prismatic void on your ass and you can't do shit about it, and the final battle. There was a major breakaway when I jumped from 7 to 16, a lot of fights became a cakewalk after that, even the shit around Gleegold was easy, but mostly because of my wizard and two psions which is the other problem a lot of the other classes are desperately underpowered for what's being thrown at you and it all still depends on winning initiative.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm past the death snare but didn't make any progress the last few days for the simple reason that the thought of launching the game and continuing this exercise in tedium fills me with dread. KoTC was fast paced and fun, this just isn't.
Maybe I'm too old for this shit, but when I played this game I pretty much despised every minute of it and when I'm asking myself why exactly I'm inflicting this on me and spending my spare time on it I really can't come up with a satisfactory answer. So I'm doing something else instead.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
NJClaw
"Easily doable"

Like, you don't have to prove to anyone you are hot shit, not on the Codex. I have beaten it at level 2 with my minmax XP bank party. Is it 'doable'? Yes. Is it 'easily doable'? By what definition of easy? By what definition of doable? Can you do it? Yes. Should you? I don't know.

Yeah, it's actually not bad on second thought. Great fun.
I know perfectly well that I don't have to prove anything. I just don't think that the whole area is "difficult" when compared to what you faced before. This is the definition of "easy" I used: it's "easy" compared to the first chapter. It's definitely not "easy" when compared to any other human-friendly game. This "easy" still doesn't mean "yeah, I can steamroll through this without a single reload", but it's still an easier "puzzle" than the unforgiving hell that is the underwater encounter.

If you managed to go through the entirety of the first chapter, that particular area shouldn't be too difficult if you face it with all of your resources.

On everything else I agree with you. The game is not "fun". I'm not enjoying it like I'm used to enjoy IWD, ToEE or KotC1, I'm just going forward to see which absurd challenges that sick french bastard came up with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom