Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Reinhardt

Arcane
i'm only angery because with this price he killed potential modding community before it even started.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
i'm only angery because with this price he killed potential modding community before it even started.
True, that is something to consider but I'm not sure if better chances existed for a real community to form even if he had priced it lower. Say 30$, let's be reasonable here, this is a game that took a long a time to make and we are talking Pierre here.

Reinhardt

Arcane
On top of that, the fact that it's coming with a complete toolset to build your own dream adventure, perhaps with a far more relaxed difficulty and/or some nicer art assets also warrants consideration.
my main problem with both kotc games is that they are too caster-oriented, so that's why i'm so interested in toolset.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
On top of that, the fact that it's coming with a complete toolset to build your own dream adventure, perhaps with a far more relaxed difficulty and/or some nicer art assets also warrants consideration.
my main problem with both kotc games is that they are too caster-oriented, so that's why i'm so interested in toolset.

I tried to do the optional battle at the end of KOTC1 with 2 knights. It wasn't nice.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It's 3.5, what did you expect? Honestly though my gladiators were just as vital to my success as my casters. At no point do they fall by the wayside.

I need a gud mapping utility that actually works so I can try to make some kobold brothel modules.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, as someone who pledged 500 bucks to the Kickstarter I obviously don't have a problem with the price on a personal level. But I still believe Pierre should lower it in order to attract a larger audience, which will only be beneficial to his finances and the game's modding scene. 40 Eurobucks is way too fucking much and not priced competitively at all. There are many other tactical RPGs out there, and while KotC2 is definitely the best gameplay-wise (but not visually), it shouldn't be priced so much higher than everything else in the genre. People who play games like this are likely familiar with what the average price for a tactical RPG looks like, and will notice that KotC2 is way overpriced compared to its peers.

Let's compare, shall we:

The recently released Telepath Tactics Liberated costs 20,99€
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1849820/Telepath_Tactics_Liberated/

It's got a similar level of complexity to its combat as KotC2, but with a ruleset that's more inspired by Japanese SRPGs like Fire Emblem. Really good game, and a fair price that justifies an impulse purchase.

The Age of Fear games cost 24,99€ and there's a discounted bundle to get them all. Pierre should have done a bundle like that for KotC 1 + 2, too.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/622/Age_of_Fear_Series_Bundle_Complete/

Age of Fear also has a very simple top-down look that could be compared to KotC2. Considering each game in the series has over 100 user reviews and a positive overall review score, the games are doing pretty well for this niche. I discovered the series when I bought Age of Fear 2 during a summer sale at a massive discount, I only paid 2 bucks for it or so. Loved the game and ended up also buying Age of Fear 3 and 4 when they came out, as well as their DLCs. That's how you create an audience: offer a low barrier of entry, lots of people will impulse buy your game, then the ones who love it will keep buying your stuff. There's also a free version of Age of Fear which only offers random battles rather than a hand-designed campaign, which serves as an extended demo. Anyone can try out the gameplay for free and get a taste of how it plays before shelling out 25 bucks for one of the full-fledged games. Great business model, and the fact that the dev keeps shitting out new Age of Fear titles shows that it works.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, a French parody tactical RPG with pretty good production values, costs 34,99€
https://store.steampowered.com/app/970830/The_Dungeon_Of_Naheulbeuk_The_Amulet_Of_Chaos/

This one is priced at the higher end of the subgenre, yet it's still 5 bucks cheaper than KotC2. Just look at it. As a casual fan of the genre browsing through Steam, you see this for 35 bucks and then you see KotC2 for 40 bucks. Which one will you buy? What are you going to think about KotC2's pricing? You're gonna scratch your head and wonder what's going on, for sure.

Battle Brothers is 27,99€
https://store.steampowered.com/app/365360/Battle_Brothers/

I wouldn't really compare Battle Brothers with KotC2 because they're different types of games: BB has a procedural campaign with no hand-made encounters, which plays very differently to a hand-designed game like KotC. But it's a widely popular tactical RPG... that costs 12 bucks less.

And then you have the lower end of the pricing spectrum with games like these:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/643900/Alvora_Tactics/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1188270/The_Curse_of_Feldar_Vale/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1174030/Hero_Lodge/

So, within the context of the subgenre, KotC is definitely overpriced. And there already have been voices on the Steam forums claiming they would have bought it if the price weren't so high. I talked to a guy I met on the Mobygames Discord who loves the classic Dark Sun games and showed him KotC2. Had him read my positive review for the game. He got pretty excited about it... and put it on his wishlist to be notified of a future sale, because at the current price point it's too expensive for him. There are many such cases. KotC2 is as indie as it gets, yet it's priced like a big budget production.

What I would suggest is to price KotC2 at 24,99€ and KotC1 at 9,99€ and offer a bundle that gives you a 10% discount for buying both. That way, Pierre would be more in line with the average pricing of the subgenre and fewer people would be put off by it.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Let him get the big money he's going to get from devoted fans who missed the KS, then let him drop the price. Remember, Cleve didn't want to cut the price on Grimoire either and now it's 10bux.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I need a gud mapping utility that actually works so I can try to make some kobold brothel modules.
JarlFrank throw this nigga a bone

I'm using this one and it's pretty solid, there's a lot of tutorial videos on YT to show you how it's done: https://www.profantasy.com/products/dd3.asp

There's also this: https://inkarnate.com/#features

Also, KS for your module when

Never, I don't need to beg for money to make a KotC2 module.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I don't know. Does someone who thinks that Disco Elysium is a masterpiece even in the right audience for KOTC2? Does he know it's not a visual novel?

I consider Disco Elysium a masterpiece and I pledged 500 bucks to the KotC2 Kickstarter and think it was worth it :M
But then you are a feet loving German so...

Just joking in case it isn't not clear

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I don't know. Does someone who thinks that Disco Elysium is a masterpiece even in the right audience for KOTC2? Does he know it's not a visual novel?

I consider Disco Elysium a masterpiece and I pledged 500 bucks to the KotC2 Kickstarter and think it was worth it :M
But then you are a feet loving German so...

Just joking in case it isn't not clear

Just goes to prove my superior taste :obviously:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
He should price it at like 3370 Euros to cause a stir.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Guys I'm having a problem where an NPC I recruited, water elemental Driaghan, is making these annoying snake rattling noises when I move around the map. Any way I can make it stop? Besides making him inactive in party screen?

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
That number doesn't factor in the fact the game was out a couple years ago for kickstarter backers
Dang, it really has been 2 years. I last played it in August 2020. Maybe I'll try it again in August 2022 to see if it's any more stable. Doing these "fuck you" battles with a 25% chance of the game crashing, so you gotta redo it, wasn't so great. I think it was extra motivation to take out enemy casters first, since they were the most likely to crash the game on their turn.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Anyone else willing to join the war efforts to change the tokens into something more palatable? It's a fairly simple task, and the more contributors we have, the faster we'll get it done!

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Guys I'm having a problem where an NPC I recruited, water elemental Driaghan, is making these annoying snake rattling noises when I move around the map. Any way I can make it stop? Besides making him inactive in party screen?

try looking for the sound clip in the sounds folder and renaming or deleting or swapping it for something else

Serus

Arcane
Patron
If you are still in Finchbury then my advice is to ignore it. Encounters in chapter 1 and 2 are so close one to another that you'll stop noticing having to fight all the time.

Probably it's obvious for you but just in case: the elemental npc has only 20 base speed - but access to druids spells including the +10 speed for whole day one. I'm telling you this because it took me some time to add 2 (low speed) + 2 (druid spells).

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
If you are still in Finchbury then my advice is to ignore it. Encounters in chapter 1 and 2 are so close one to another that you'll stop noticing having to fight all the time.

Probably it's obvious for you but just in case: the elemental npc has only 20 base speed - but access to druids spells including the +10 speed for whole day one. I'm telling you this because it took me some time to add 2 (low speed) + 2 (druid spells).

He also doesn't need a Potion of Water Breathing to breathe underwater (doh!) and is the only character that moves normally and can take five foot steps in water. He's worth bringing along.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

try looking for the sound clip in the sounds folder and renaming or deleting or swapping it for something else
That worked, thanks. For anyone else who might have this issue just go to c:/programfilesx86/steam/steamapps/common/KnightsOfTheChalice2/Sounds - then look for Snake 1 and Snake 2. rename those two files. This is what I renamed them to:
jcpAENh.png

Thanks for the heads up but I'm still exploring the prologue town and wanted to check out the companions. My party will probably be different when I get access to Pizza Warlock or Kobold Wizard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom