Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Quite cool that the max party size is 25
Oh man the next module is gonna be a TBS.
Yeah, it would be possible to do a sort of Final Fantasy Tactics clone in Knights of the Chalice 2. Start with one custom PC, use gold to recruit new party members of different cost/class...

As I said, this is a REALLY good editor. Powerful, easy and quick to use. It's missing some quality of life stuff, like proper full-screen, better organized menus and stuff like that, but the foundation it's really solid.

benzine

Novice
Quite cool that the max party size is 25
Oh man the next module is gonna be a TBS.
Yeah, it would be possible to do a sort of Final Fantasy Tactics clone in Knights of the Chalice 2. Start with one custom PC, use gold to recruit new party members of different cost/class...

As I said, this is a REALLY good editor. Powerful, easy and quick to use. It's missing some quality of life stuff, like proper full-screen, better organized menus and stuff like that, but the foundation it's really solid.

I'd really wish for an external editor, or at least open the file standards so interested modder/s can implement an editor, although if someone's really interested they can always reverse engineer the shit.
The engine itself is quite good (once all the bugs gets ironed out), but current editing process really does leave a lot streamlining/QoL to be desired, especially mass updating characters, items, scripts, etc.
Even simple script check and confirmation would work wonders.
It's just too old-school, it's 20 years into the 21st century darn it, embrace the development

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
by level 6 he still doesn't have a good AoE damage spell like Fireball and Energy Cone.
At level 7, the water druid gets free empowered on his Ice Storms, though. That's pretty good damage at 3d6 bludgeoning and 3d6 cold damage, no save. Empowered makes it do about 30 damage. Ice Lance (ranged touch with +4 modifier for 3d6 bludgeoning + 3d6 cold) is also a pretty good single target attack that he can get at level 5. It's great if you take him up the ladder after the tombs.

Mortmal

Arcane
Druid weakness will be felt at the end game when he won't be casting accelerated spell and the summons won't be as effective as just an additional aoe / control spell.

This is why he will always be weaker than a cleric/psion/wizard.
yes but early and mid game he's very usefull, better damage with the stone than magic missile, large spike zone,empowered earthquake if you pick earth mastery. Still wont beat a prismatic ray with save or die check in the end.The absurd module design and difficulty doesnt leave any choices.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Has the bug where if you ready vs spell of the shark druid, if he summons a croc then it spawns outside the play area, in the blackness to the NW, been reported/fixed? Happens at least when my psionicist readies; reliably reproducible every time.

Are the psionicist spells supposed to counter arcane spells ?
I'm sure i've read something about it in-game but i'm not sure if it was one way or the other.

I found the tombs suspiciously easy actually, the assorted skellymen/zombies are very ez, the shadows can be tricky if you don't kill one of the clerics before he can summon shit but are otherwise reasonable, and the ghost dragon is VERY OBVIOUSLY supposed to be instakill cheesed with the disruptor. The vamp is the only real bullshit part of that area, I had to keep reloading for like an hour before I could fatally throw him down a well.

The hardest part was the shadows, quicksand and the cleric's tentacled pet took care of the vampires, psion missiles helped too.
The only problem was one of the vampires dominating my Death Knight and the spells doesn't wear off so i had to kill him while taking care of just knocking him down. (keeping the squid alive to tank until i was ready to finish him fast enough while that morron was drinking all my serious healing potions)

Also, fun thing, while the squid sometimes attacks 6 times, he only attacked once against the dominated Death Knight but the amount of damage felt like 3 or 6 attacks were combines in a single powerful one.

The Babaus fight when you split your team is my first mandatory reload*, i sent out the Cleric and the Fighter and they're clearly the ones holding the fort so even with 2+1 summons, i couldn't finish even one off, then, one sneaked attacked the death knight, 50 damage in a single round ...
That's when shit hit the fan.
Let's see if i can do better tonight, i'll probably keep the cleric downstairs.

*Almost got a party wipe against the elementals fight right after the mimics though, 3 KOs i think...

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The hard part isn't the tomb, it's that you are fucking trapped there as a new player not knowing when you get to rest again, and are then sent to the fire cave of literal hell, and when all that is done you are supposed to kill a fucking knockoff efreeti. If you know all the encounters in advance like we do you can prepare for this awful gauntlet, but if you are a normal person you are just going to call bullshit and quit forever because you used up all your good scrolls, and you aren't going to make it without your good scrolls unless you somehow built an optimal party on pure intuition and also sold either the flail or the armor to have enough gold to level up.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The hard part isn't the tomb, it's that you are fucking trapped there as a new player not knowing when you get to rest again, and are then sent to the fire cave of literal hell, and when all that is done you are supposed to kill a fucking knockoff efreeti. If you know all the encounters in advance like we do you can prepare for this awful gauntlet, but if you are a normal person you are just going to call bullshit and quit forever because you used up all your good scrolls, and you aren't going to make it without your good scrolls unless you somehow built an optimal party on pure intuition and also sold either the flail or the armor to have enough gold to level up.

You have some herbs to replenish spells, those from chapter 1 in the chest and those from the bird merchant.
So far, i'm hoarding my scrolls ... But for how long ?

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jesus shut the fuck up until you are in Chapter 4 and crying that you used your fucking herbs like a faggot and now don't have any for the fucking cock and ball torture that are the castle fights.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You have some herbs to replenish spells, those from chapter 1 in the chest and those from the bird merchant.
So far, i hoarding my scrolls ... But for how long ?

Hoard the astagralus and fruit for chapter 3, won't really be necessary in chapter 4 if you do it right.

The game is so full of this kind of shit it's ridiculous, only by playing and then replaying do you have any real hope of completing the game. The encounters themselves being entirely designed around the notion of having to reload simply because you have no way of knowing just how much shit is going to be thrown at you and when and for me that's the worst part of this design.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I can dig it... if it were labelled a puzzle game or something, and everyone always had initiative at first.

Maybe I should try making a module...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can dig it... if it were labelled a puzzle game or something, and everyone always had initiative at first.

Maybe I should try making a module...
Make a module where you get fucked hard every time you pick a dialogue option tagged with [mantis], [gladiator], [half-giant], [human], [psionicist], [wizard] or [aberration domain]. Give incredible rewards for [centaur], [drake], [psychic warrior] and the rest.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I just killed the two babau and the bug at the end of the tomb and thought 'huh this was surprisingly reasonable, I wonder why some people were raging about this so much'

and then

then i encountered the salamander and the fire lolemental with just two dudes to control

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I'm out of this game :lol:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I just killed the two babau and the bug at the end of the tomb and thought 'huh this was surprisingly reasonable, I wonder why some people were raging about this so much'

and then

then i encountered the salamander and the fire lolemental with just two dudes to control

Yeah, I'm out of this game :lol:
It's just another quickload-heavy puzzle.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You'll be back... They always come back.

8b7901_166223.jpg

Dickie

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, I'm out of this game
Don't forget that you're also taking constant force damage, and your dudes are fatigued if they don't have the right skill.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
OF COURSE IN THE NEXT ENCOUNTER WHERE EVERYONE IS LEVEL 6-8 THERE'S A 13TH LEVEL CASTER WITH ACCESS TO ALL ARCANE SPELLS AND PSIONIC POWERS AND A GIANT SCORPION THAT'S IMMUNE TO EVERY SINGLE DISABLING SPELL AND A DOZEN ENEMIES WITH 50 HP

OF COURSE

EDIT: he is not immune to stinking cloud, hurrà!

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
OF COURSE IN THE NEXT ENCOUNTER WHERE EVERYONE IS LEVEL 6-8 THERE'S A 13TH LEVEL CASTER WITH ACCESS TO ALL ARCANE SPELLS AND PSIONIC POWERS AND A GIANT SCORPION THAT'S IMMUNE TO EVERY SINGLE DISABLING SPELL AND A DOZEN ENEMIES WITH 50 HP

OF COURSE
Haha. That'd be easy mode if that's all it was. The caster also has the Metamagic Empowere feat, and he can change the damage type of his spells to whatever he wants (to keep you from getting resistance to it). Then, there are two guys who can use Web spell, and the enemies get a surprise round.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

OF COURSE
Haha. That'd be easy mode if that's all it was. The caster also has the Metamagic Empowere feat, and he can change the damage type of his spells to whatever he wants (to keep you from getting resistance to it). Then, there are two guys who can use Web spell, and the enemies get a surprise round.
I can live with the surprise round, the rangers with Web and the bows that do AoE damage. I can live with almost all of that bullshit. BUT WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN BY "SUMMON VROCK". JESUS.

Why everyone keeps summoning monsters with more hp than my characters?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Darth Roxor is just disappointed there isn't more lore-related dialogue. :)
In a distant land, long, long ago, there once were two peoples.
Those who had power -
And those who did not.

The Human Psions, Elf Mages, Mantis Gladiators and Half-Giant Fighters ruled with an iron fist over the Half-Salamander Samurai, Hobbit Rogues, Dwarf Monks. There was an order to life, and the order was simple: some are meant to rule, and some are meant to be enslaved, and trod upon.
One day, a party of heroes set out to challenge the status quo...

...and quickly rerolled into a party of 2 Human Psions, 1 Elf Red Wizard, 1 Mantis Gladiator, 1 Half-Giant Fighter and a healing servant to carry their scrolls and loot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom