Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kodex Kommunistic Kolony in Rimworld, Season 1

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
But the cost is prohibitive this early on.

Ehh, it's an investment. If I set stone doors (the SLOWEST ones, btw), I'll need to demolish them later anyway. The sheer amount of time it takes to open/close them is just unacceptable.

Steel autodoors are costy, but also the fastest ones. Only wooden autodoors are slightly faster, but also fragile.

I could understand using them where there are large temperature gradients as well as heavy traffic (Front entrance, freezer), but why bother with that investment when a stone door that's held ajar is so much cheaper?

I don't see which door I could possibly replace with a regular stone one. All of them are traffic-heavy. Storage room, battery room, House of Edgelords, and Prosperwall doors are all non-automatic. Grimwulf's Dacha didn't NEED an autodoor, but it will be useful in case of enemy breaching the base. It is possible to win otherwise hopeless battles if you use dem autodoors to your advantage.

Shit, the time you save from most of those autodoors is less than the extra time hauling the material to them for the initial construction.

Errr, no. Haulers drag raw materials pretty close to construction site. Grimwulf only drags materials from stockpile to actual door.

If I decided to build stone doors instead, not only they would hamper movement of every kolonist a great deal, but I'd have to waste time demolishing and replacing them on autodoors later on.

Doors aren't that demanding power-wise, considering the extent to which they increase productivity. Besides, when we secure all that enourmous territory, we'll have 3 geysers for building geothermal generators.

+M

Is the power an issue during the night because of need for warmth? Will people get hypothermia or something without it?

Repetition is the mother of learning.

Yes, but we get heat during the day. It takes time for the temperature to drop down, so it won't be cold enough for us to die from hypothermia. Kolonists will be unhappy to sleep in the cold, and maybe suffer from minor hypothermia during early mornings, but that's it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Power before turrets. no point in having guns that can't shoot. Alternately, euthanize or release the prisoner and disable the heater in the prisoner room to conserve energy.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
First time not getting shredded by "friendly" fire!

Just got to fight weaponless like some kinda Servant conscript, poisoned with a rotten ballsack bbq and 2v1 cockblocked to a bloody pulp instead! :argh:

I say get powah first, need my heat damn it. Could make indoor campfires, but knowing you fucks you'd burn the place down.

As for Miss Playin-Hard-To-Get:

Grimwulf said:
6. Put her in one of those cryo caskets for experimental purpose.

Need to test those things, if we get them working we can store slaves there, or use them in case of another infection!

Grimwulf, I both admire you and envy your writing style - when I try to write something both coherent and intentionally funny in English it comes out sounding even worse if I'd written it in Russian. And your LP is the most funny and entertaining among this year LPs.

As for voting:
1) 6 - cryo her, we don't have resources to heal her, and I doubt that there will be a miracle and she'd recover like Kalin (которого, походу, лопатой не убьешь);
2) 2 - barring large scale invasion, power is more important right now than turrets, because if all our glorious kolonists will pass out from, turrets won't hold the enemy.

Also I would like to participate in building KKK, if the kolony would have an open vacancy.

Stainless Veteran
Gender doesn't matter, if male, then
tVIF8kV.png

if female, then
N8Facp5.png

Background: Glorious Nu-Soviet Military. From the young age Stainless Veteran was taught that there's no greater happiness then serving the Motherland in battle. The world Nu-USSR 1961 had quite a big plans for its neighbors - glorious Party wanted to bring peace, prosperity, take from each according to his ability, and give to each according to his needs - all through the way of military conquest, of course. At first Nu-USSR succeeded, and its military won many victories (and took a few defeats, though any true communist wouldn't talk about them). Although they were paid by the sacrifices of 1961's sons and daughters, so there were always a need for fresh meat patriotic young citizens. Stainless Veteran had shown an affinity for sniping, a sure aim, and being cool under enemy fire. Although being a respected and proved soldier, the squadmates and brass sometimes whispered among themselves that something wasn't quite right with Stanless'. So the a significant portion of that little free time Stainless had spent tinkering with drones and other assorted automata or helping at the hospital with the wounded. All things comes to an end though. Instead of accepting peace, prosperity and compulsory labor, neighboring planets acted like true capitalists - they bribed a part of Nu-USSR's Party, and so the Party brass turned against each other, and the planet 1961 was engulfed in bloody chaos. Military took heavy losses, one of which was Stainless Veteran - bionic parts, burns, concussion, you name it. Disillusioned, instead of going down with the ship, SV fled to an uncharted world.

Strengths:
Shooting
Research and/or Medicine
Careful Shooter if possible

Weaknesses
Bloodlust or Psychopath

Last edited:

Inf0mercial

Augur
Power is more important than turrets, also either heal and release to you know try to not have a potential trade partner angry at you or test out those cryo tubes.

Cooler consumes only 20W energy after reaching target temperature (need only 0 C for food to freeze, so with -19C it should be in passive mode. Unless Grimwulf set it to -30C for some reason).
Need more energy for sure so build 1 more solar plant and 1 more battery. Power off fucking kitchen at night (i usually use 2 power lines and things like sun lamps, kitchens, machining tables, lamps, etc get powered off at night automatically becuz no energy at night from solar)
I doubt you can put prisoners in the Cryochambers. Actually she is not that old and you have doctor now (Ian - 9 medicine). Maybe she can pull it off. Also you need 2 doctors to be safe and her skill 12 good enough for surgery. Keep and recruit her.

Ashery

Prophet

But that's basically my point: Door speed doesn't matter when you simply prop the door open. You can't do this when there's a temperature gradient, obviously, but any internal door can be used in this way. Hell, I even use held stone doors for my battlements and just flag them to close behind me when I retreat. The big ones I see offhand that could be non-automatic are the internal ones in the entryway.

And sure, you'd tear them down eventually, but stone and a bit of building time are cheap; components ain't.

I completely agree that wooden autodoors are a waste; steel and plasteel both open up just about instantly from my tests. Wood is also far too scarce in this LP to waste on something such as doors or even more than absolute emergency campfires. I'd also agree to their utility in combat, though getting them up before any turrets or other traps is something I'd consider debatable.

It's not just Grim's time that's what's being overdrawn here; the haulers could have instead hauled material for another solar array, the turrets, deadfall traps to complement your current defensive position; all sorts of stuff. And I can't see how the early game component cost isn't going to come back and bite you in the ass. Those three geothermals? 1200 steel and 18 components for the set. Even one feels prohibitively expensive during the early game.

And since you say repetition is the mother of learning: No matter what the material, a door that's held open won't slow anyone down.

:love:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What's the power drain on the cryo casket like?
No sense in wasting watts if we're already low on juice

hello friend

Arcane
We need to test those cryocoffins now in case we need them urgently later on.

If we can't keep the lights on it will reflect badly on the kkkolony, and by extension communism. You wouldn't want that, would you? Because we're all comrades here, right? Right?

MZeta

Scholar
Release Kimmy and get some more power. The way it is going you certainly don't need hypothermia to be added as an difficulty modifier :)

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Wait a moment.... does that mean they forgot to plug in Lenin's casket as well?

Well played comrades, here I thought it was supposed to be a glass sarcophagus from the start... :argh:

Inf0mercial

Augur
Also as a side note if you fix your power supply you might actually be able to you know, grow some crops so cannibalism is not always such a overbearing prospect for prisoners. Probably need more batteries for it but hooking the lamp to a specific generator might help.

Why do Sunlamps cost 1.6K power??? It always hurts me to build one,

Sometimes i get confused between which thread i am in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom