Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Larian is moving away from D&D, no BG3 DLC or BG4

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm so happy they ran away from train wreck that's modern DnD.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does Solasta count as modern DnD? Because on a purely turn-based tactical combat level it's a pretty good game.
The developer, Tactical Adventures, managed to create a decent tactical turn-based combat system in spite of the limitations of "D&D 5th edition" as a base. Obviously, they thought that having the name "D&D 5th edition" associated with their game would increase sales, but this is a questionable proposition, and certainly the quality of the game, if not its commercial success, would have improved if they had created their own systems from the beginning rather than reworking existing systems.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Does Solasta count as modern DnD? Because on a purely turn-based tactical combat level it's a pretty good game.
The developer, Tactical Adventures, managed to create a decent tactical turn-based combat system in spite of the limitations of "D&D 5th edition" as a base. Obviously, they thought that having the name "D&D 5th edition" associated with their game would increase sales, but this is a questionable proposition, and certainly the quality of the game, if not its commercial success, would have improved if they had created their own systems from the beginning rather than reworking existing systems.

Making a good system from scratch is extremely difficult, you are assuming that making a better system than 5e is easy. You are also assuming having a better system than 5e means more sales which is extremely debatable.

huskarls

Scholar
Great news for people who hated BG3, but walking away from an established IP with ~40 years worth of lore behind it is a huge mistake in the long run, just as it was for Bioware when they passed on making KotOR II in favor of Jade Empire and what followed. "We'll make our own IPs with blackjack and hookers!" is pie in the sky for most companies especially when generic fantasy/ sci-fi IPs are a dime a dozen these days. Wasn't even possible to whore out Dragon Age enough to secure a permanent place in the pop-culture and that was during the post-LotR fantasy drought of the late oughts. GFL in current year.

Here’s the difference between the two things you’re talking about: Larian Studios was already big before Baldur's Gate 3, BioWare was not big before Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Larian built a large audience all on their own before Baldur’s Gate 3 ever came out, and moved somewhere in the range of 7 million units of Divinity: Original Sin 2. Larian was already on an upward path all on their own just like FromSoftware was going into Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

I also wonder how much Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro even see much of a future for D&D games like Baldur's Gate 3. They outlined the future of tabletop D&D in that One D&D video a couple years ago, and it was pretty clear watching that video that the future of “tabletop” D&D is a closed system video game. I’m not sure Wizards of the Coast is going to even want something like Baldur’s Gate 3 competing with their “tabletop” video game, and I’m thinking future games like Baldur’s Gate will be something you buy within the D&D Digital thing they’re doing.

BioWare’s big mistake with Jade Empire was probably more gameplay related than setting. They sold a couple million copies of KotOR before Jade Empire released, people that played that we’re probably expecting something that played more in line with KotOR, what they got was an action game that played like shit (which came out in the middle of games like Def Jam: Fight for NY, Yakuza, Urban Reign, Bully, Shadow of Rome...among others) and maybe the worst shoot ‘em up game ever made. I’d guess a lot of people interested in BioWare’s next game after KotOR rented Jade Empire and after playing it didn’t care much to actually own it.
this and the other 10 post this amigo made on the same page was a really good psuedo-history read, you have to put aside your sense of self and wanting to object to truly ride along with the author on his exploratory 'what if?' in a world kotor established the bioware name and jade empire was panned because of bad timing with def jam and bully. I wish he took it a step further though with every one attempting to make kotor clones and maybe made bully 3 to be a parallel witcher 3 in his world

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Making a good system from scratch is extremely difficult, you are assuming that making a better system than 5e is easy. You are also assuming having a better system than 5e means more sales which is extremely debatable.
C'mon Fallout developers managed to do it in a week. When GURPS license holders heard they were punching women into the groin with chainsaw, and about that other stuff. They removed the license. Then Fallout developers had to create a system in about week.

Considering it's a computer game, they need first to resolve attack and defense rolls somehow. And from their solution they can create some decent system.

Frankly simplest system if STR, DEX, INT system. Three attributes and it works like sledgehammer on a door, but it's usable.

One expansion is splitting STR, DEX, INT into two subatributes. And now you have 6 attributes. Which allows differentiate difference in STR between a bear and a pack mule.

It would be probably boring off topic writing page long explanation about RPG system design. But, when people have experience and talent it's not that difficult. On the other side, PC allows simulating real time simulation, and there are compelling reasons to simply use direct simulation of accuracy and evade intermediate step.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
but DnD's cohesive lore (can't believe I'm writing this...) was at least holding them back from the absolute silliness and poor taste of their own world building
They just have to get great world building and narrative director.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
C'mon Fallout developers managed to do it in a week. When GURPS license holders heard they were punching women into the groin with chainsaw, and about that other stuff. They removed the license. Then Fallout developers had to create a system in about week.
It wasn't just made in a week, it was Chris Taylor's high school D&D-derivative homebrew.

When Tim Cain had to make a system from scratch we got the inferior Arcanum.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
certainly the quality of the game, if not its commercial success, would have improved if they had created their own systems from the beginning rather than reworking existing systems.
Yet every original wrpg system manages to be worse than D&D (any edition).
Arguably, every original CRPG rules system is worse than any of the actual six editions of D&D/AD&D published by TSR, but certainly it's possible to cite CRPGs with better rules than the post-TSR versions of "D&D". There are numerous fundamental issues with "D&D 5th Edition", which Solasta only mitigated somewhat, while BG3 probably made them worse on the whole.

No, I mentioned that the use of "D&D 5th edition" probably increased Solasta's sales simply as a result of being able to use the name "Dungeons & Dragons" in marketing, but at the expense of lowering the game's quality.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It wasn't just made in a week, it was Chris Taylor's high school D&D-derivative homebrew.

You misspelled superior.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Honestly, this is good news and my preference is they something original again vs milking D&D and the "Baldur's Gate" name (haven't played the game yet, so this is no reflection on its qualities, btw).

5E is a decent system and can be made tactical enough. That said, D&D's greatest strength is how much iteration it's had with class features and bestiary. These things give it a spirit and quality that's difficult to match. They're so iconic that if you get to close you're imitating, but not close enough and you're failing to satisfy. Competing with D&D in the realm of medieval fantasy is not for the faint.

Harthwain

Magister

You misspelled superior.
In terms of ruleset?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes. Arcanum's ruleset might be unbalanced as fuck, but it's fun. So many different things to invest your character points in, and so many different character types to play - even more than Fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom