Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian to Kickstart Divinity: Original Sin 2 on August 26th

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Just wondering, have they said anything about Divinity 3 in the past year or so?

Zeriel

Arcane
I almost feel like "every quest needs to have over a dozen solutions, and every NPC needs to be killable" is a greater obstacle to their plotlines than Larian's writing talent. Options are all well and good, but there is such a thing as overkill.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
No one said that they need to use it.

They can use Divinity OS2 and use completely different ruleset/world if they want. No one sane would give a shit about previous world.
Though my main concern is artstyle. I loved DOS but i hated artstyle ala wow crap

99% this is PC + console kickstarter.

No way in hell they will pass on console crowd when they have now working pads in their engine along with split screen support
I think it's apparent from the art that they will be basing this on their existing fantasy universe, even as a cost saving measure it makes sense for them to build on an established lore book than building one from scratch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
99% this is PC + console kickstarter.

No way in hell they will pass on console crowd when they have now working pads in their engine along with split screen support

I predict that they will announce controller support, but will not commit to a console port yet. Why? Because they have no idea yet how well these games sell on consoles. If D:OS EE bombs on consoles then porting the sequel would be stupid. It'll be "something we're considering" until next year.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
We should start a petition or something to get Chris Avellone to be a stretch goal. He seems to be a freelancer now anyway, and Larian might be on board with some of his crazier ideas too.
Since MCA has the habit of drowning himself in source material and learning everything about the lore of the setting he is about to write for, he would go mad trying to make sense of Rivellon and previous games' and all their background information.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Since MCA has the habit of drowning himself in source material and learning everything about the lore of the setting he is about to write for, he would go mad trying to make sense of Rivellon and previous games' and all their background information.

I'd love to see him try, to be honest. They could use someone who'd bring the setting together in a clever way while not doing away with the goofiness, subversive as that way may be. With Old World Blues under his belt, MCA would be perfect for that.

Angthoron

Arcane
We should start a petition or something to get Chris Avellone to be a stretch goal. He seems to be a freelancer now anyway, and Larian might be on board with some of his crazier ideas too.
We should fund MCA's addition separately. As a Codex-only tier.

Also, while I am very excited about the news here, I have to say that Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a terrible name. You can't have Original Sin twice. It should be called Divinity: Unoriginal Sin.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the audience is willing. Considering they're probably not going to do physical tiers this time, it should make my job much easier.
WHAT?!

I know they sort of said something a long time ago about how hard it was but is there some new info that I missed that confirms this? If so my pledge amount just took a nose dive... :cry:

Angthoron

Arcane
WHAT?!

I know they sort of said something a long time ago about how hard it was but is there some new info that I missed that confirms this? If so my pledge amount just took a nose dive... :cry:
Or got higher. I think they'll have physical tier, but it'll probably be at a higher entry level. The work associated with boxed editions was quite hellish from what I remember.

Zeriel

Arcane
We should fund MCA's addition separately. As a Codex-only tier.

Also, while I am very excited about the news here, I have to say that Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a terrible name. You can't have Original Sin twice. It should be called Divinity: Unoriginal Sin.

Haha, yes. If we raise $30,000 Chris Avellone will tell us about the secret, REAL plotline of <pick game>, that only the Codex is privy to. This is brilliant.

Cadmus

Arcane
I'd love to see him try, to be honest. They could use someone who'd bring the setting together in a clever way while not doing away with the goofiness, subversive as that way may be. With Old World Blues under his belt, MCA would be perfect for that.
Old World Blues was shit, trying too hard. I don't think MCA should ever touch Divinity.
Tbh I don't know what's so great about the guy.

likaq

Arcane
But here you see, it's ok that Larian is preoccupied with doing more money over doing good art. Because it's larian and they aren't an evil publisher.

This.
Blizzard is making games with abominable art style( diablo 3 , wow ) ? Codex is full of butthurt.
Larian is making games with abominable art style. Then everything is ok because sales will be better.
Welcome to RPG - double standards- Codex

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But here you see, it's ok that Larian is preoccupied with doing more money over doing good art. Because it's larian and they aren't an evil publisher.

Here's the truth - nobody actually cares that much about "awful art style". It's just an additional complaint that people add when bitching about developers who make games they don't want.

So it's like, "man, themepark MMOs like World of Warcraft are stupid!" doesn't sound harsh enough. So you add "and look at this art style, it's so childish!" too. But if it was a turn-based RPG with that art style, that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for anybody. Because that's the kind of game they want. Get it?

Drowed

Arcane
There is MASSIVE butthurt in comments section on every site that reported this news. Why? THERE PLAN TO USE SHITSTARTER AGAIN? HOW DARE THEY.
Reading comments on mainstream sites makes me wish for the next mass extinction.

Well, let's hope that there's enough non-retarded people out there to support their kickstarter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom