Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Last Epoch - time travel action-RPG

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've started the Mage, I see this is another crap aRPG that has a skill called Fireball when it is just a tiny FireBolt. If you cannot give me a proper big FireBALL do not call it that game!! Last aRPG that had a proper Fireball was Torchlight 2.

I think I will try to roleplay D2 Chain Lightning Sorc instead since there does not seem to exist something fun frost or fire based.

You and Victor must have the best conversations.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've started the Mage, I see this is another crap aRPG that has a skill called Fireball when it is just a tiny FireBolt. If you cannot give me a proper big FireBALL do not call it that game!! Last aRPG that had a proper Fireball was Torchlight 2.

I think I will try to roleplay D2 Chain Lightning Sorc instead since there does not seem to exist something fun frost or fire based.

For me these games are all about choosing a character I want to play and trying to create that one. And if the game cannot let me have my simple Fantasy of D&D Mage that throws big Fireballs.. it is crap.
I am not interested in endgame, farming or any other time wasting shit.. I will do that just enough to try to accomplish the character I envisioned.. and once it becomes too much I am moving on.. it is why I shit on PoE now regularly, the amount of grinding that game expects from you has just gone up over the years while not giving us enough new cool stuff to play with.
I didn't even bother trying to make a Jedi in PoE with that new skill due to the amount of shit and loops and grinding I would need to do for that one.. especially when half their new skills are usually crap.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Play runemaster it is one of the OP classes like warlock and falconer. It also has interesting and more complex mechanics than other mage masteries.

mediocrepoet

Patron

For me these games are all about choosing a character I want to play and trying to create that one. And if the game cannot let me have my simple Fantasy of D&D Mage that throws big Fireballs.. it is crap.
I am not interested in endgame, farming or any other time wasting shit.. I will do that just enough to try to accomplish the character I envisioned.. and once it becomes too much I am moving on.. it is why I shit on PoE now regularly, the amount of grinding that game expects from you has just gone up over the years while not giving us enough new cool stuff to play with.
I didn't even bother trying to make a Jedi in PoE with that new skill due to the amount of shit and loops and grinding I would need to do for that one.. especially when half their new skills are usually crap.

meh

https://lastepoch.fandom.com/wiki/Meteor

If only there were a skill that could satisfy a spell chucker mage power fantasy instead of having a wet fart fire pebble!!

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
At launch, this is the best arpg since Diablo 2.

+ the mob and environment variety is pure incline. Even in a 176 corruption mono I encountered a map layout that I hadn't seen before
+ the mob density is so good, you get an aoe/cleave ability at level 2 start going to town immediately
+ the crafting system is great in that while keeping RNG is also gives you a lot of control. You get an item drop and it's your choice if you want to play it safe or play roulette with it. This makes the game exceptional at playing self found. For example you can play it safe while working towards your T20s (4x T5 useful affixes) and once your build is fully up and running you can start going for some of those insane crafts by sealing affixes
+ the drop system is great. You get a lot of items in general and you can target farm any unique/set in the game (or even straight up buy that item using the Merchants Guild system). This means that ANY build is viable, it doesn't matter what items it requires, there is always a sure and sane way of getting the items
+ very clear delivery of all the systems in the game, you don't need to watch a 2h video of some autist explaining to you all the different crafting/farming options in the game
+ decent passive/skillpoints system. While a lot of the options are % bullshit you are left with enough points to give a lot of variety within the same class+mastery spec
+ I can't think of any design choice that is simply wrong. Even using gold as currency turns out okish because of dungeons
+ telegraphed attacks can generally kill you unless you're completetly overgearing the content, this makes mapping engaging
+ it's fun getting tossed around by the some giant mobs

- visually it's way too PG13 for my tastes - where's the gore?
- the campaign is trash
- the game was in EA for a long long time meaning the masteries and skills are very uneven: the newer stuff looks better and performs better. For example Chthonic Fissure has so much detail in it while Erasing Strike looks like it's from Runescape
- pure melee builds are very lackluster, they do not have enough mobility and damage to make the range tradeoff worthwhile. This feels in a very familiar place to POE at launch, hopefully the devs will find better solutions than "here's a new CoDT skill, everyone should use it to make melee viable"
- mob affixes are in the game as in there's text on the mobs, but none of them does anything significant
- no map mods
- no cool item affixes (cast on crit etc)

I could go on with the minuses but none of them are significat. The bottom line is that from a design pov this game is pure incline and I can't wait to see what they will add for future cycles.

ArchAngel

Arcane

meh

If only there were a skill that could satisfy a spell chucker mage power fantasy instead of having a wet fart fire pebble!!

Meteor is not a fireball. Also this video has this "Mage" attack in melee 75% if the time and Meteors falling 25%.. you are hilarious...

ArchAngel

Arcane

Play runemaster it is one of the OP classes like warlock and falconer. It also has interesting and more complex mechanics than other mage masteries.
I am not interested in OP but in cool, flashy characters. I am looking at doing Lightning Blast and Static Orb now and if that turns out to not be cool or good maybe switch to Black Hole. Glacier also seems kind of cool if it was faster and had more range.
Runemaster does have Frost Wall which is only thing that looks cool at first glance but I can grab that with just putting 15 points into Runemaster if I want it.

mediocrepoet

Patron

meh

Meteor is not a fireball. Also this video has this "Mage" attack in melee 75% if the time and Meteors falling 25%.. you are hilarious...

The video was there to show what the skill looks like you moron. It only works that way because how they speced the skill and set up their build to synergize with it. It doesn't have to and normally doesn't proc from melee. I simply assumed that such a master of the ARPG genre wouldn't need that explained.

Anyway I'm sorry that this spell that nukes enemies with balls of fire is called meteor and not fireball and doesn't meet your exacting requirements for a wizard that kills enemies with balls of fire.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Screenshot_20240401_064240.jpg

Sorry for reddit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Who cares. It is not even online only game. It is not even a fun game.

Peachcurl

Cipher
https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/rmt-and-exploit-statement/70338

Hello Travelers,
Today we wanted to connect with everyone regarding the recent gold exploit, as well as exploits in general within the online environment. We want to talk a bit about what we’re doing in regards to these issues, and what our plans for the future are.
We take exploits within Last Epoch very seriously and ensure that any time an exploit comes up, we give it our full and immediate attention. We strictly enforce our Terms of Use 62 when it comes to exploits and RMT (Real-Money Trading), and as such, one can expect that abusing such exploits or engaging in RMT, both buying and selling, will result in a permanent account ban.
Since 1.0 has launched, we have been aware of two exploits. The first allowed duplication of items through the bazaar. We were made aware of this exploit three days after its first discovery, and deployed a fix for it the same day. The second exploit we became aware of was the recent gold exploit, which we created and deployed a fix for in less than 24 hours of being made aware of the exploit.

Current Actions​

In response to the gold exploit, we have reviewed gold activity on an account level, identifying, and banning those accounts which have been participating in illegitimate gold generation. We don’t want to speak too much to how this was tracked, as it could only really serve to provide bad actors information to try to avoid detection. With this, we are aware of the concerns of legitimate accounts being falsely flagged. We are quite confident in our tracking not falsely flagging accounts, though as always you can appeal any moderation action through support.lastepoch.com 15.
We have also banned accounts with duplicated items from the first exploit, and we have been and are continuing to process and ban all accounts linked to RMT services (both buying and selling). These regular account bans for RMT involvement are actively removing significant amounts of gold from the economy, which we expect will help bring down inflation.
We are aware of the inflation which has occurred within Merchant’s Guild, and are discussing methods to deflate the economy again. We expect the removal of much of this gold through the bans to both those who exploited the gold bug, as well as RMT involved accounts, will help quite a bit, though we are also discussing additional actions. At this point, we’re not implementing any actions which we’re able to talk about, however if we do plan to take any actions which directly effect players we will communicate those actions.

Moving Forward​

We want to make sure we’re not only reacting to exploits, and are instead working on proactive measures to prevent exploits in the first place. We’re making sure to act both on a technical level and on a user level. Actions we’re taking on a technical level are much harder to discuss, as saying what we would be doing is just providing information to bad actors on how to try to exploit after. However, we want to strongly state that we are not ignoring these exploits occurring and are taking active measures to combat them.
Lightless Arbor and Runes of Creation generating legitimate duplicate items has also been contributing to the perception of item dupes. Some of this comes from awareness regarding that these legitimate duplicates are possible, as well as to what extent. It may be surprising to know that Lightless Arbor’s Vaults of Uncertain Fates can actually produce up to 12 duplicates of the exact same item. These legitimate duplications can produce some very suspicious-looking listings on the Bazaar. So when we talk about changes on a user level, what we mean is that we are working on not only preventing these exploits, but also this kind of confusion being generated by user experience. As our first action to help address this, we will be introducing mirrored item card graphics to help visually represent when an item is a legitimate duplicate (on duplicated items, the 2D art for the item will be mirrored / flipped).
We’ve also found, in general, the Merchant’s Guild centralizing of gold leads to a fair amount of inflation all by itself, and as such, are looking into and discussing inflation control methods such as implementing a Gold Tax on transactions in 1.1. We don’t want to implement this kind of change during the current cycle as it would be a fairly fundamental change to the Bazaar and Merchant’s Guild. We’ll have more information concerning inflation counters, Tax or other, as we get closer to 1.1.

Closing​

We don’t think it’s a very controversial statement to say that abusing an exploit, ruining the game for all players is not acceptable, and that doing so should result in a ban. We also acknowledge this isn’t just on bad actors, but it’s also our responsibility to do everything we can to prevent these exploits from being possible in the first place.
With that said, we want to be clear in stating that we acknowledge the feedback from the community concerning allowing these exploits to have slipped through, and want to make sure we state that we are taking these events very seriously. We are actively investing in both addressing, and preventing these exploits, with no efforts spared, or shirking of the issues.

TLDR:
Cheating and corrupt merchants leads to inflation and eventually more taxes. A bit too real for a fantasy game.

*continues to play offline, entirely unbothered by this*

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly, I love this game.

Where in most other games, leveling is boring AF and you can forget thinking about builds and synergies until you are almost in the middle of end-game.

But Last Epoch?
Damn, you got possibilities and stuff to think about almost right out of the tutorial gate. And it just keeps expanding and expanding and expanding.
Skills that have skill trees?! It's honestly amazing.
Might be the first game ever where I've played a character into early endgame, only to turn around and create a new one right away, three times in a row.

I can already see dozens of things I want to try with other new characters and will likely get hundreds of hours in this before I feel like I'm "done".
And I say that as someone who doesn't give a shit about endgame in ARPGs - I'll leave that grind to other people.

So for me? Probably the best ARPG of its kind.
Only bummer is that the story is clearly unfinished and you get thrown into monoliths at what feels like barely 2/3 of story done.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Where in most other games, leveling is boring AF and you can forget thinking about builds and synergies until you are almost in the middle of end-game.

But Last Epoch?
Damn, you got possibilities and stuff to think about almost right out of the tutorial gate. And it just keeps expanding and expanding and expanding.
Might be the first game ever where I've played a character into early endgame, only to turn around and create a new one right away, three times in a row.

I can already see dozens of things I want to try with other new characters and will likely get hundreds of hours in this before I feel like I'm "done".
And I say that as someone who doesn't give a shit about endgame in ARPGs - I'll leave that grind to other people.

Only bummer is that the story is clearly unfinished and you get thrown into monoliths at what feels like barely 2/3 of story done.
This is all well and good, but the game is still shockingly easy and you have to actively try to die (or alt tab in the middle of a zone like I did). Yeah, I know about the hard mode boots, but I don't trust it's balanced for hardcore (the only way to play this game without collapsing from boredom).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

But Last Epoch?

This is all well and good, but the game is still shockingly easy and you have to actively try to die (or alt tab in the middle of a zone like I did). Yeah, I know about the hard mode boots, but I don't trust it's balanced for hardcore (the only way to play this game without collapsing from boredom).
The game would benefit from some kind of mode between the normal mode and hardcore.
It is definitely a bit more on the easy side during the story.
It would surprise me if nothing like that would be added at some point.

I don't play a game like this in hardcore, that's just endless amounts of hours going to waste for something as easily occurring as lag or bugs or just fucking sneezing. I play these games to relax, not to tryhard.

ArchAngel

Arcane

But Last Epoch?

I've done the same but only because I maxed skills to lvl 20 in early endgame and endgame was boring, even more boring than campaign.

I am having more fun playing Diablo 4 for first time (still on campaign). I am also changing builds all the time as I find new legendary aspects that give me new options. Even better than what Last Epoch has.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom