Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Last Epoch - time travel action-RPG

All of the early campaign changes have been pretty good so far, visually anyways. Trying out falconer at the moment. I didn't care for most of the rogues specializations before but falconer has been pretty good. I just wish there was a toggle for the birds screeching that didn't involve muting all sound.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Warlock was very underwhelming. Was really looking forward to it but soul feast + bone curse still most fun combo. Fissure is annoying to use and has no modifiers that lets me nuke shit from a distance, ghostflame is underwhelming, spirit plague still sucks (was hoping to use it as a boss killer but the damage is ass). game is easy so it's not like any of them are unusable but still very disappointing.

Only briefly played with Falconer but the core skill seems very good, actually look forward to playing more with it than warlock when i get back home later today.
Did you try chaos bolt?

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Warlock was very underwhelming. Was really looking forward to it but soul feast + bone curse still most fun combo. Fissure is annoying to use and has no modifiers that lets me nuke shit from a distance, ghostflame is underwhelming, spirit plague still sucks (was hoping to use it as a boss killer but the damage is ass). game is easy so it's not like any of them are unusable but still very disappointing.

Only briefly played with Falconer but the core skill seems very good, actually look forward to playing more with it than warlock when i get back home later today.
Did you try chaos bolt?
Briefly (also had it spammed by fissure for a while). Not enough to comment on how good it is, I didn't want to play warlock as an explosion spammer.

ADL

Prophet
Started monolith mapping as soon as I unlocked Circle of Fortune target farming during act 9/level 55. Instant load screens, zero lag. According to chat, monolith mapping is handled by different servers so it's not experiencing any of the technical issues that campaign has right now.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Just saw this on Steam. What's the Codex Consensus? As good as Diablo 2?
It struck me as skillful combo-chaining, with an occasional dodge that mattered. In the beginning. I was very excited—only to have found out it became just another button-mash repetitive thing very soon (for the reference, Diablo is just another button-mash repetitive thing for me as well). But hey, at least you get to button-mash in a nice, brooding atmosphere, and on top of that, it's got original, kind of unbelievably deep lore. From what I've seen in other games (PoE, GD, Diablo, etc.) the crafting has a more liberal, forgiving approach. Similar to GD. You can farm and craft stuff pretty often, you don't have to 'run 30 dungs with party of 4 to get that one thing' if you follow me. So, if you like these games, it might be worth your while. If you just want to try something new out—I'd say don't bother.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a D2-style hack and slasher, there's not much you can expect outside of that. I don't think it's as revolutionary as people make it out to be. Yes, it's better than D4 and not as convoluted as PoE, but it can't hold a candle to Grim Dawn for example. GD has more content, said content isn't as brainless, more classes and build variety, all cosmetics are earned in-game, etc. What does Last Epoch offer? Once you get to lvl 58, it's random maps all the way down and those are tremendously easy until you get to the very high corruption levels and by that point your build and gear will enable you to brute force everything anyway.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Acolyte in general is a bit underwhelming. Both Necromancer and Lich are powerful, but Necro is a minion mastery and those are very rarely dynamic and interesting in hack and slashers, while Lich is very one-note and the entire mastery revolves around Death Seal and Reaper Form (which still looks terrible, those dual sickles don't work). What I'd do for Necro is implement Guild Wars 1's idea of the minions decaying over time, so you have to either dedicate some skills into keeping them alive or having enough mana regen (somehow, maybe having mana leeching skills) to keep raising them.
I like necromancer, I'm p much the target audience for that class, and some of the minions do decay (zombie, wraith, abomination), you can also use them as ammo via sacrifice and there are nodes on other skills that consume them for effects.
Summoning Blood Wraiths with Sacrifice build. Bone Golem with Bone Shatter that you attack with Rip Blood to proc it more. Skele Mages with Sacrifice and you spam Skele Warriors for them to explode, it was just buffed in 1.0.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Booted up with intention of playing Judgment Aura - seems the game has the exact same issues as last time around (0.9 launch), notably loading for between 2-10 full minutes on area transitions :lol:

Literally unplayable lol. Not a word from the devs about the issue - their discord is an apocalypse of angry players.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
respawning mobs every time you change location or just enter tp is dumbest thing ever. thing that kills game for me.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Booted up with intention of playing Judgment Aura - seems the game has the exact same issues as last time around (0.9 launch), notably loading for between 2-10 full minutes on area transitions :lol:

Literally unplayable lol. Not a word from the devs about the issue - their discord is an apocalypse of angry players.

The devs are communicating via reddit and their forums. The issue is more they seem to be flailing trying to find a solution and not actually fixing anything.

Hopefully this new update they are pushing helps.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The devs are communicating via reddit and their forums. The issue is more they seem to be flailing trying to find a solution and not actually fixing anything.

Hopefully this new update they are pushing helps.

The communication right now is limited to "if you want to play multiplayer, don't". This is literally the exact same issue that destroyed their 0.9 launch more than one year ago. Not really surprised the launch is scuffed - that is to be expected. But a literal repeat of issues they had one year ago signals that the game is fundamentally fucked in this manner and they can't figure out how to solve it, meaning it will probably be years before the game is anywhere near playable until the player count has dropped off enough - and seeing as multiplayer was an issue loooooong into 0.9 (arguably for the entire time), not even dropping player count will be a safe bet.

Which incidentally is probably the reason the devs are not communicating about it - they have no idea what to do and therefore, no time frames.

I hope I'm wrong, mind you.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
IMG_20240224_004410_038.jpg

bataille

Arcane
Have they found a solution to the common curse of all diabloids where past a certain point the only viable way to play without constantly dying is to stack life leech?

Peachcurl

Cipher
Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Have they found a solution to the common curse of all diabloids where past a certain point the only viable way to play without constantly dying is to stack life leech?

haven't build life leech on a poe hardcore character in like 5 years. what is this 2004

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've started playing it, only lvl 13 so far, going to try physical werebear druid first and some kind of D2 sorceress like later. Start of game is about similar to PoE in killing speed and difficulty. Art reminds me a bit too much like D3, I see it also has some D2 stuff like Idols. Leveling up system is pretty simple so far but too early to tell if good or bad, some kind of mix of D2 and Grim Dawn and PoE. Story is whatever so far, dialogues are funny (not in a good way). Like when they ask you You are going to assault enemy camp alone? and you answer "I got it" .. they didn't bother much to explain how you are that powerful.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Got to end game. Played with NingNog Forge Guard. My opinion:

Campaign. Easily worst campaign in big ARPG. It was such a borefest that i started skipping second half.

1. First of "corridors everywhere" design works for maybe first 2-4 hours but then it just gets tired af. And since you know where to go because your have sign on map it never feels like exploration and always feels like a slog you need to go through to point you need.
2. Bosses are not memorable at all. I struggle to even remember them. The only boss that gave me trouble was last one. And I fixed it by increasing by 15% phys reduction... as i had only 30%.
3. Maps are just too large in campaign. It feels like they realized that giving point on map where to go means people would just go there ignoring rest of map so they stretched out map between start and end point.
4. Maps aren't diverse enough. Sure graphics change, but you never fight in tight spaces, you never change your tactics either. It's almost always wide open spaces or wide corridors.
5. Side quests are so painfully boring that there is no need to get them as they provide nothing of value (other than stat boost and relic stuff).
6. It is waaaaay to long for what it tries to do. It took me 11 hours of mostly following main quest and trying to get to end fast.

Honestly campaign is such a slog that I dread to replay it at all. I know from some posters that there are "skips" but those skips are still part of that slog either way.

Combat
Good thing to say here. Attacks feel punchy, enemies respond well etc. If I could make top list of best combat feel in arpg it would be:
wolcen >>Diablo 2>> Diablo4/Last Epoch>>>Diablo 3 >>> POE >>>> Grim Dawn

Progression and loot
System is pretty good. I thought at start it will be a mess like Wolcen but it is tight in several places. Unfortunutely crafting which at start seems fine soon enough became too strong to see any loot as worthwile. Few uniques i found were varied enough to do some builds around them.

Skills.
Honestly they suck. Yeah they do have their trees that somewhat change a bit those skills but each class simply has too little of them. Main class has 6 + 4 with level and specialization gets you another 5. Sound like a lot until you realize that ton of them are not fitting into your build well. Like I wanted to make ice mage and i had like total 5 spells including specialization. It would be good if you could make copy of skill and spec it differently like in Wolcen which uses D3 rune system so you could have 2 same skills just with different specs. The skill skill tree imho is just worse version of Diablo 3 rune system or Wolcen rune system. Another annoying thing is that

Passive skill tree.
It also sucks. It feels like someone saw GD or TitanQuest tree and thought: "Yeah i take some of that too" without putting much thought into it. IT doesn't feel cohesive. Yeah it gives boost but it feels more like a chore than fun game mechanic. They could easily move most of it to skills trees and you wouldn't see difference.

Difficulty.
Easy. Died like 3 times and i wasn't grinding or anything. Mostly due to elemental damage. 2 of those in last boss fight. Now in end game it is mostly the same thing at lvl 60. Hardly any challange.

Overall.
They need to bake more and rethink core idea behind their systems. Wolcen2:LastEpoch is what i think of it but actually less fun than Wolcen1.

Last edited:

GloomFrost

Arcane

Campaign. Easily worst campaign in big ARPG. It was such a borefest that i started skipping second half.

1. First of "corridors everywhere" design works for maybe first 2-4 hours but then it just gets tired af. And since you know where to go because your have sign on map it never feels like exploration and always feels like a slog you need to go through to point you need.
2. Bosses are not memorable at all. I struggle to even remember them. The only boss that gave me trouble was last one. And I fixed it by increasing by 15% phys reduction... as i had only 30%.
3. Maps are just too large in campaign. It feels like they realized that giving point on map where to go means people would just go there ignoring rest of map so they stretched out map between start and end point.
4. Maps aren't diverse enough. Sure graphics change, but you never fight in tight spaces, you never change your tactics either. It's almost always wide open spaces or wide corridors.
5. Side quests are so painfully boring that there is no need to get them as they provide nothing of value (other than stat boost and relic stuff).
6. It is waaaaay to long for what it tries to do. It took me 11 hours of mostly following main quest and trying to get to end fast.

Honestly campaign is such a slog that I dread to replay it at all. I know from some posters that there are "skips" but those skips are still part of that slog either way.

Combat
Good thing to say here. Attacks feel punchy, enemies respond well etc. If I could make top list of best combat feel in arpg it would be:

Progression and loot
System is pretty good. I thought at start it will be a mess like Wolcen but it is tight in several places. Unfortunutely crafting which at start seems fine soon enough became too strong to see any loot as worthwile. Few uniques i found were varied enough to do some builds around them.

Skills.
Honestly they suck. Yeah they do have their trees that somewhat change a bit those skills but each class simply has too little of them. Main class has 6 + 4 with level and specialization gets you another 5. Sound like a lot until you realize that ton of them are not fitting into your build well. Like I wanted to make ice mage and i had like total 5 spells including specialization. It would be good if you could make copy of skill and spec it differently like in Wolcen which uses D3 rune system so you could have 2 same skills just with different specs. The skill skill tree imho is just worse version of Diablo 3 rune system or Wolcen rune system. Another annoying thing is that

Passive skill tree.
It also sucks. It feels like someone saw GD or TitanQuest tree and thought: "Yeah i take some of that too" without putting much thought into it. IT doesn't feel cohesive. Yeah it gives boost but it feels more like a chore than fun game mechanic. They could easily move most of it to skills trees and you wouldn't see difference.

Difficulty.
Easy. Died like 3 times and i wasn't grinding or anything. Mostly due to elemental damage. 2 of those in last boss fight. Now in end game it is mostly the same thing at lvl 60. Hardly any challange.

Overall.
They need to bake more and rethink core idea behind their systems. Wolcen2:LastEpoch is what i think of it but actually less fun than Wolcen1.
So I take it If I just want a single player campaign and atmosphere its definite NO NO??

Perkel

Arcane

Combat

Progression and loot

Skills.

Passive skill tree.

Difficulty.

Overall.
So I take it If I just want a single player campaign and atmosphere its definite NO NO??

Definitely a poo poo. If i would want to rate campaign:

D2 >> POE>>>>>>>GD>>>>>>>>D4>>>>>D3>>>>Wolcen>>>>LE

You would think that with time travel they would have something interesting in it but frankly there isn't anything here. Feels more like excuse to just move forward. I think what hurts it the most are quests themselves and how minimap "solves" your exploration.
I feel like they just were shooting darts at the board and decided for time travel because it gives their live service game the most amount of wiggle room for expansions rather than to create good story and competent campaign.

Like I said in my opinion/review. The worst part is that everything is the same. Same corridors design everywhere with quest marker telling you where to go. And it feels like game actively trying to waste your time stretching space between A and B so that you can't finish it too fast.

I think it is good to compare it to something. Take Grim Dawn for example. In GD you have towns, ruins, there are multiple pathways, there are faction zones etc. It all feels great and you mostly don't feel like developers designed those areas to stretch hours. Then there are some areas where devs said fuck it like farmlands but even those have houses with bits of lore there.

In LE there is nothing. Sure you get some main quest differences like collecting pearls on some beach to summon something but that is rare occurance most of the time is just go to B and do somehting.

Perkel

Arcane
Writing some more on skills and classes being weirdly too thin.
I started new class right now druid. Druid can be shaman(caster), malee(barbarian), or minion/shapeshifter.

Each of those would be a class on their own in different arpg to give those classes depth they need to feel good. Here on other hand everything is under druid. So instead of getting full tree for Shaman you instead get like 5 skills total. And like I said before you can't even duplicate them so that same skills can be customized to something else.

Sure you can make argument that you can use all of the skills but that goes against fantasy of creating build or some idea for character.

I really hope that uniques expand available skills/build like in Grim Dawn I noticed also relics changing elemental damage type like GD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom