Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LeChuck's Revenge: SE

Hory

Erudite
samandmaxnowandthen.png

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Other than the fact that certain characters (most notably Guybrush and Governor) look like dorks there is nothing wrong with the new graphics. Environments look spectacular even. These new graphics are nowhere near the trainwreck that is Tales for example.

Schattenjäger

Scholar
Aside from the few hand drawn stills, the first monkey island didn't have too much of an artistic direction really. The characters and scenarios were too pixelated and monocolored to show detail and style. The remake looks better, with the exception of the hand drawn stills... those really lost their character in the new version.

I do agree about monkey island 2, though. They should find the original drawings and use them... the style used for the first remake won't fit in with this one.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Other than the fact that certain characters (most notably Guybrush and Governor) look like dorks there is nothing wrong with the new graphics. Environments look spectacular even. These new graphics are nowhere near the trainwreck that is Tales for example.

If you are unable to see the difference between the pixel-art of the first game and the Flash-like shit of the remake you should kill yourself along with your pretenses of knowing anything about art.

The characters and scenarios were too pixelated

You too can kill yourself. Ever heard about pixel-art? Pixelated... Jesus, fucking morons.

How about the close-ups?
Compare this:
1218660203-04.png

with this puke-inducing junk:
905294.jpeg

Reject_666_6

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
The characters and scenarios were too pixelated

You too can kill yourself. Ever heard about pixel-art? Pixelated... Jesus, fucking morons.

How about the close-ups?

Schattenjäger said:
The remake looks better, with the exception of the hand drawn stills... those really lost their character in the new version.

Reading comprehension fail.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Reading comprehension fail.

You're a smart Transylvanian, aren't you?

"Really lost their character" is far from the shit they are.

Nothing looks better in this remake, whether they are close-ups, backgrounds or characters. There are online Flash games that look better.

Schattenjäger

Scholar
I like how in the first two games they used a filthy and detailed graphic novel style for the characters(scenes were always cartoonish, but the whole thing fit together quite well).

Too bad they changed to this cartoon network crap in the other sequels and in the remake. Not that the cartoon network crap is that bad, is just that the artistic direction of the first ones is better.

And all things considered, I DO think the MI1 remake looks better. Yes, you can call me a pedantic graphics whore again now. Please do.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Monkey 1 looked pretty sweet back then. I liked the style. The remake is overall very "meh".

Monkey 2 was just gorgeous, though. Much better than the first one and still one of the best looking games ever.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In stills the old MI can look like ass, but it was standard fare for the day, and the animations were good.

I think the biggest problem with the SE is they were trying to be faithful to the newer shitty versions of Creepwood from more recent MI games and trying to make a n00b version of him instead of making something... good.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At the very least I look forward to the redone music score. Always thought MI2 had the best soundtrack of the series. Also, Governor Phatt = hilarious. And Zombie Pirate LeChuck was easily the most menacing of his incarnations. Wonder what Largo LaGrande will sound like...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
They're off the Lucasarts forums. They're nothing official but... fuck, they're so good I thought he got hold of the original art and scanned it. I think they're all mockups the guy did just based off the original MI2 screens. "Fucking gorgeous" doesn't begin to describe it. Guybrush's face looks just a little off, but I'm being real nitpicky here. This with high quality music is all I want for an MI2 SE. Throw in some good voice acting and I'm getting this.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
For Guybrush he used the sprite used when you talk to that fisherman in the pier, which gives you a good close-up of Guybrush.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Confirmed.
Of course, that's in addition to all the stuff you'd expect from the special edition treatment, including high-definition art, remastered music, full voiceover track, and the ability to swap between original and "special edition" modes. Derrick even said they've "reimagined" each character, citing fan displeasure with Guybrush's hair in the first special edition.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Fuck yeah now we're talking! Graphics are much better this time. Less fanciful, very close to the source material and they got the character style right. I'm sold.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
The image you have up there isn't the original, it's the one that guy on the Lucas forums redid. The one in the link is from the remake. But yeah they got it this time.

Sceptic said:
The image you have up there isn't the original, it's the one that guy on the Lucas forums redid. The one in the link is from the remake. But yeah they got it this time.

I know that, I put up the mock up on purpose to show how similar the SE's version of the scene looked to it.

Then I realized the point of the post probably wasn't as clear as it needed to be, and edited in the sentence "The SE is on the right track if they look like the mock ups."

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Clicked through both galleries. Looks damn impressive and more importantly it seems they got the characters right too this time. As for the first SE and sound, perhaps now they go back and change it so that one can use old graphics and new sound.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks okay. I would've preferred them to stay even closer to the original artstyle, but it's vastly superior to the first SE.

Now I'm just hoping that I can play it with old graphics and voiceovers. Now that would be great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom