Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LeChuck's Revenge: SE

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I certainly wouldn't mind SE of Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, etc.

Zeus

Cipher
Elhoim said:
I certainly wouldn't mind SE of Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, etc.

Yeah, seriously. These SE remakes interest me way more than the Monkey Island/Sam & Max spinoff series.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Schattenjäger said:
I have one complaint:

The box art. The fucking box art. Why did they have to "remake" the coolest, most awesome box art in the history of adventure gaming? Don't these idiots KNOW that you can't freaking change what is already perfect, without at least making it worse? Damn it.

QFT

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
PlanHex said:
Why do Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle when there's still a back catalogue of good adventure games without voice acting?
Zak MacCraken and Maniac Mansion immediately spring to mind. The "deluxe" fan remake of MM is pretty good but the only improved version of Zak available at the moment is the FM-Towns one. Getting the cast of the CD Day of the Tentacle (at least Bernard, the Tentacles and the Edisons; did anyone else appear in both games?) and having them do the voices, complete with modern DOTT-style graphics would make for an awesome Maniac Mansion SE.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
A DOTT-remake only needs to keep the original graphics while updating them to modern standards. Likewise, the original voicework only needs to be re-released in a better quality. If they can't do that, then it wouldn't surprise me they'd get an all-new voice cast.

And if they get an all-new voice cast, then a Maniac Mansion-remake becomes much more propable.

But personally, I think the next LucasArts game they should re-release is Loom. Simple interface, good music, easy gameplay, voiceover work already available, what's the problem? If they could base it off the FM Towns version it'd be gold.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Schattenjäger said:
And I am amazed that these fools can't see how much profit they would get out of a collector's edition retail version. They seem to be completely oblivious to how many monkey island fans are out there.

Assuming they will be charging $10 U.S. at most maybe it's just a cost/benefit analysis with having to deal with packaging/shipping to retailers, etc. as opposed to just selling it through XBLA and Steam.

Stabwound

Arcane
Playing it now, it's pretty good. I didn't play the SE of the original so I can't really compare, but the graphics are pretty nice and the voice acting is good. It seems to be based on the "hard" mode by default with no option to change it, which is surprising, although the "updated graphics mode" lets you highlight all objects you can interact with (should be in every fucking adventure game, seriously) but also only lets you choose from valid actions on both objects and items, which obviously makes it a lot easier. For example, with the monocle, the only options you have for it are "look" and "give", whereas in the original you can use any command on it.

The "original mode with voices" I find practically unplayable because it's so blown up on my monitor that the pixels seem like they're 1/4 inch big. Looks much better in ScummVM with filters, at least on a large monitor.

Oh, and for whoever mentioned the animations, they're identical to the originals, flailing arms and all. It's basically just reskinned with the new graphics.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Stabwound said:
It seems to be based on the "hard" mode by default with no option to change it
Massive fucking :incline:

lets you highlight all objects you can interact with (should be in every fucking adventure game, seriously) but also only lets you choose from valid actions on both objects and items, which obviously makes it a lot easier. For example, with the monocle, the only options you have for it are "look" and "give"
Massive fucking :decline:
Where the fuck is the puzzle-solving when you know the minute you pick up the object how it's going to be used, when you haven't even come across the puzzle where you'll need it! :x

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Art style is way better than the one they used for the first remake. I'll probably pick it up in a bundle with the first (didn't buy it) when there's a half off sale. Not in a huge hurry to play since I probably remember 75% of the puzzles.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Stabwound said:
Oh, and for whoever mentioned the animations, they're identical to the originals, flailing arms and all. It's basically just reskinned with the new graphics.
Erm...
How far are you along?
Have you seen the first cut-scene with LeChuck yet?

Well, the "reskinned" is probably just like the first game SE.

I'll buy the game anyway, since MI2 is on my top 2 list of best games ever. And though the original design is unbeatable, I don't mind the new style guybrush, and I aways wanted a MI2 with voiceovers.

And there's the creator's comentary, which I think they should have put one in the first game.

But I hated the interface that gives away which verbs you may use on a item. They should do the Full throttle/curse monkey island kind of interface.

They really changed it because the first SE had a very clumsy UI.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Stabwound said:
I haven't... but okay, I guess they're not identical then. ;)
Having finished it, I realize that I was wrong. It's the same animation. The new LeChuck just looks kinda shitty with those animations.
Then again, that's my only real complaint with this SE.

Well, that and the lyrics to the head-rib-arm-leg bone song weren't properly synched with the music. I totally predicted they would screw it up on the first page of this topic!
:x

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
PlanHex said:
Well, that and the lyrics to the head-rib-arm-leg bone song weren't properly synched with the music. I totally predicted they would screw it up on the first page of this topic!
Please tell me you're joking. That song was the one reason I was so looking forward to MI2 SE, when I barely cared about MI SE. WHY LUCAS WHY :x

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
PlanHex said:
:x

Yeah I saw a video of that and it was absolutely terrible. Can't believe they didn't attempt to clean that up a bit -- completely ruined it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just finished it and the art is definitely much better this time around.

I was watching ALL the end credits and noticed this HUGE piece of text at the end, and it basically said that the Monkey Island 2 engine is Open Source.

Anyone else catch that, and know why they did this? I'll assume fans really asked for it?

Seolas

Liturgist
Metro said:
Art style is way better than the one they used for the first remake. I'll probably pick it up in a bundle with the first (didn't buy it) when there's a half off sale. Not in a huge hurry to play since I probably remember 75% of the puzzles.

Shame, if you pre-ordered it on Steam they were giving the remake of the first away for free with it. I pre-ordered for 6.99 (in UK pounds) and got 'em both, yet to play either though. They also had the Tales of Monkey Island complete pack for something like 66% off during the recent sale, I didn't grab it though.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
lol at you faggots who think the early monkey islands actually look good these days. it's looks like painted art, scanned in and downscaled to 16-32 colours, in otherwords they look like complete shit.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
fizzelopeguss said:
lol at you faggots who think the early monkey islands actually look good these days. it's looks like painted art, scanned in and downscaled to 16-32 colours, in otherwords they look like complete shit.
Graphic whore.

Mi2 graphic style still looks awesome.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
fizzelopeguss said:

Go die in a fire!

Ruprekt

Scholar
I just torrented this to check it out.

And it looks like a flash game :( :(

Doesn't compare to Curse art-wise.

-Where can I buy this anyway? It's not on Amazon and I don't like Steam.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ruprekt said:
-Where can I buy this anyway? It's not on Amazon and I don't like Steam.

If you don't like Steam, either XBox360 or PS3 stores are the only way to get it.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Sceptic said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Graphic whore.

Lol, i ain't the one crying into my cheerio's because they updated the shitty squirmy house-brick sized pixels of a 20 year old game.

Ruprekt

Scholar
The original graphics option in this special addition looks terrible. It's not scaled in any way.

I prefer it with high quality scaling in SCUMMVM tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom