Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LeChuck's Revenge: SE

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
JarlFrank said:
Now I'm just hoping that I can play it with old graphics and voiceovers. Now that would be great.
Look two posts up from yours.

Also, dev commentary sounds neat-o.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Have to wait to see the animation -- at least in still shots it looks a bit better than the first.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
It's miles ahead from the first SE but I still like better the original style.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I hope they continue with the remakes after this. Curse does not need a remake as it plays really nice in SCUMMVM and if you use hq2x filter it also looks really nice. Escape however, like most early 3D looks like crap.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Escape should be made point and click. The whole game is in fixed camera angles anyway so having it control with the keyboard adds nothing to the game, and holding shift pressed for most of the game to run is a pain in the ass.

Apart from the horrible character models, the backgrounds and stuff look decent as they are.
55073642-escape3.jpg

Zeus

Cipher
Sceptic said:
Berekän said:
Art Direction >>>> Graphics
Nothing else needs to be said.

Except for the obvious: art direction is part of graphics. I believe you guys mean:

Art Direction > Technical Power.

Which I totally agree with.

Tolknaz said:
I hope they continue with the remakes after this. Curse does not need a remake as it plays really nice in SCUMMVM and if you use hq2x filter it also looks really nice.

Hey look everyone, we got us a Ted Turner. I hear he isn't happy with them old graphics, he wants them improvified and updaterated with modern technologies. Colorize them black and white movies! Yeehaw!

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Eat some dick Zeus and learn to read or perhaps learn your Monkey island timeline. I said that a game that was released in 1997 is fine as it is as it already has a talkie and modern engine recreation. A monkey island game released in 2000 however is shit because of the then cutting edge technologies used that the creators at the time thought would give them awesome++ points.

Zeus

Cipher
Tolknaz said:
Eat some dick Zeus and learn to read

No thanks, Ted.

Get yourself some punctuation, you're embarrassing yourself.

Tolknaz said:
Curse does not need a remake as it plays really nice in SCUMMVM and if you use hq2x filter it also looks really nice.

rySqo.jpg

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Well, using filters in dosbox or scummvm is a matter of taste. For some games, especially games with cartoony graphics (like Curse of the Monkey Island) i think they work really nicely, whereas for some games they don't. That better?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Zeus said:
Except for the obvious: art direction is part of graphics. I believe you guys mean:

Art Direction > Technical Power.

Which I totally agree with.
I assumed it was obvious but yeah yours makes it clearer.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Sigh. I probably wouldn't bother, hadn't i happened on someone who seems almost too nice for RPG Codex. Sorry Zeus for lashing out at you. I read your blog and you seem like a nice guy so i take back my notion that you need to suck cock and all. Also, english is my third language, so be easy on my punctuation errors ;)

Zeus

Cipher
Tolknaz said:
Sorry Zeus for lashing out at you. I read your blog and you seem like a nice guy so i take back my notion that you need to suck cock and all. Also, english is my third language, so be easy on my punctuation errors ;)

No prob, man. Thanks for the kind words about my website.

I don't think there's anything wrong with graphics filters--the more options gamers have, the better. I just hate it when people go on and on about how ugly games are without them. I grew up playing Goldbox D&D RPGs and stuff like that, so to me, pixels look pretty awesome; as good, if not better, than graphics run through hqx3 type filters.

To each their own, right? At least the Monkey Island SE people give us the option of toggling between the new and original graphics mode.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
pixels look pretty awesome; as good, if not better, than graphics run through hqx3 type filters.

A man close to my heart.

I think those filters make old games look like shit. The lower resolution a game is the more it looks like paint blotches with such a filter.

Schattenjäger

Scholar
I have one complaint:

The box art. The fucking box art. Why did they have to "remake" the coolest, most awesome box art in the history of adventure gaming? Don't these idiots KNOW that you can't freaking change what is already perfect, without at least making it worse? Damn it.

Will they at least release the game in physical form this time? I will never pay for a download only game. It's like hiring an ugly hooker instead of banging your pretty girlfriend for free. They invented torrents for this shit, you know?

Zeus

Cipher
Schattenjäger said:
I have one complaint:

The box art. The fucking box art. Why did they have to "remake" the coolest, most awesome box art in the history of adventure gaming? Don't these idiots KNOW that you can't freaking change what is already perfect, without at least making it worse? Damn it.

Will they at least release the game in physical form this time? I will never pay for a download only game. It's like hiring an ugly hooker instead of banging your pretty girlfriend for free. They invented torrents for this shit, you know?

If a game doesn't have a retail release, and is digital download only, can it even have box art?

It is a zen question of the ages. O_o

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Did the first remake have a physical release? Can't remember but I don't think so -- chances are for a $10 list price game it's highly unlikely. If you don't want to pirate it I'm sure it'll be on Steam for as little as $2 soon. Yeah, it's digital download but it's two bucks...

Schattenjäger

Scholar
The suits at Lucas Arts are utter idiots. Bethesda level idiots. It's been over a decade that they decided adventure games are unable to profit, and now the idiots apparently randomly splashed some new graphics on an anniversary edition of monkey island 1, got massive profits and discovered they were totally wrong.

News at 10: this will be the first of many "special editions", which will be possibly followed by franchise revivals(hopefully).

And I am amazed that these fools can't see how much profit they would get out of a collector's edition retail version. They seem to be completely oblivious to how many monkey island fans are out there.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Schattenjäger said:
News at 10: this will be the first of many "special editions", which will be possibly followed by franchise revivals(hopefully).
After playing the only new "inventive" game by LucasArts, Lucidity, I get the feeling these guys are better off throwing paint-jobs and voices on games that have great writing and gameplay already.

Zeus

Cipher
Didn't LucasArts shut down their dev teams? I thought they pretty much farm everything out these days. :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom