Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Legends Of Dawn

Outernauts13

Educated
Legends Of Dawn is currently being developed and the developer has already set a kickstarter fund-raising campaign. The full review may not be available until the developer lifts the embargo of the review.

likaq

Arcane
My post has been edited.
And besides, are we really give a fuck about developers who are making yet another H&S instead of proper crpg?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Indie, man. Indie.

Even if they are not making what we'd want them to, no need to be a douche.

Unless it is an EAware game...

Edit:

Steam forums are lovely as usual

http://steamcommunity.com/app/234980/discussions/0/864971765397176312/

Huge letdown this is 1949 gameplay , sluggish controles, slow toon , almost no customision ,bad viewdistance, almost nonexistent guide how to use rune,. craft etc. ingame. not real feelin in a livin world you can loot all houses, nobody cryes Thieve or reacts in any way to me burglaring all lol this is just a bad joke .

Please do not waste your money. Was excited to get my hands on a new rpg but this game is absolutely atrocious. The graphics are horrible, character selection is minimal. Explanation of mechanics is non existent. User interface is clunky. There is no quest direction and don't even get me started on combat. Was ready to tear my hair out attempting to kill the weakest monsters in the game. BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! I have warned you. that is all

Where's the apology for making...THIS? I can't even call it a game. It's awful! Seriously, it's a complete mess! This isn't a release! This isn't even an alpha! You got EVERYTHING wrong as far as ARPG fundamentals go! The movement goes against every sensible decision, the camera controls are buggy and awkward, and the combat is from 2003! And the graphics! I could forgive a low poly count, but did you even think to HIRE an ARTIST!? The character models look horrendous! Like nothing close to anything human. Low rez textures, no attempt at style or direction. It actually hurts to look at! It makes the original Dungeon Siege from 2003 look GOOD! This isn't a finished product! This isn't ANYTHING! There is NO WAY someone in your studio sat down with this and thought it was ready for release even as an "indie" title! No one is deluded anough to put this together and call it "good." You knew you were releasing garbage and did it anyway in the hopes of making a few more dollars after the Kickstarter money ran out. The only way to describe what you people just pulled is a scam.

Ramireza

Savant
This is great too :

"There appear to be no quest markers that I can see, so running around trying to find where you're supposed to go is really difficult."

:D

Maybe i should give it a try...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is great too :

"There appear to be no quest markers that I can see, so running around trying to find where you're supposed to go is really difficult."

:D

Maybe i should give it a try...
He should report it as a bug - "Quest Compass does not work"

DramaticPopcorn

As much as I hate GPS systems in games, absence of any directions given to you by NPCs is way worse than being handheld to your goal, especially in sandbox-y games.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do we know for sure that there are no directions and he's not just a retard unable to read his journal / ask NPCs to show him the way?

7hm

Scholar
The guys in this post seem to like it, despite pointing out some large flaws: http://steamcommunity.com/app/234980/discussions/0/864971765409682931/

I just want to say that for the 2 hours or so I played the game I couldnt put it down. I still want to play it but I have to go to bed. Yes the controls are a little wonky but I got used to it pretty quickly. I had like 2 lockups that had me restarting, and the little bit of fighting I did I really enjoyed. I will be spending alot of time playing this game. Im sure they will patch it and alot of the initial frustrations will fade into history. I really enjoyed the time I spent in Narr so far. I will update this if it changes but I suspect it will only get better the more I play it. I believe it was worth the purchase price of $15.

Mind you even the people who like it seem to point out some pretty large flaws. Someone here should try it.

Mortmal

Arcane
No quest markers and quest direction, tearing hair to kill the easiest monsters? Tempting , tempting... someone have to try this, preferably someone who dont praise indie games when they do the exact same shit as AAA developpers but with budget graphics. Not me, i am not feeling like throwing 15$ through the window today.

Drowed

Arcane
I'm really tempted to buy it just to try, but 30$BRL seems a bit too much for this kind of game by what I'm reading on the net so far.
I will wait a little more, hoping that someone is willing to sacrifice himself for great codexia.

Indranys

Savant
How it is guys?
Decent enough for ARPG?
How about that rune magic? Interesting enough?
I need a nice 3rd person ARPG which aren't Gothic 1&2 and Dark Souls (already played them for years).
Any recommendations bros??
Also, Amalur is a boring piece of shit IMO, I was disappointed.

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm not removing it from an inventory, but yeah, this looks like a bargain bin offline MMO. I expect to get a good 5 mins out of it before deleting.

Will post impressions later if I play longer than 5 mins.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
bargain bin offline MMO

Ouch, sounds absolutely terrifying.

I had hoped to hear something more positive from the codex, and that maybe complaints I read on Steam were just based on people who had been weened on Skyrims. Because damn, some of those complaints actually make me WANT to buy the game.

slow toon

ha

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
bargain bin offline MMO

Ouch, sounds absolutely terrifying.

I had hoped to hear something more positive from the codex, and that maybe complaints I read on Steam were just based on people who had been weened on Skyrims. Because damn, some of those complaints actually make me WANT to buy the game.

Perhaps a bit prematurely to judge, or? So far we haven't got any decent codexian response (like after playing at least 1 hour). This youtube 10 minutes beginning is not saying a lot really (except that graphic and camera are fuuuugly..... well, and that the first two quests are standard boring fetch-wood, kill-monsters in the cementary type:( ?).

Riiiiight... I backed it up earlier, but I will not give you any deep impressions soon as, as far as the gaming goes, I am caught between replaying King Arthur 1 and Conquistadors.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Most of the people trashing it played it for less than thirty minutes. Graphics look fine to me. Don't know wtf people expect from a budget title.

I couldn't care less for the "wheres my quest markers!!!?" mouthbreathers, but there's a sizable amount of glitch complaints, and the developers didn't bother helping in any manner other than posting that engrish "this is mistake we'll contact steam" post on twitter the other day.

edit: actually one of them has been asking for log files from people who had crashes.

Stabwound

Arcane
Well, here are my impressions:

The game loads after I create my character to a broken UI with "missing" written all over it and a tan screen. None of the UI functions except for a bunch of tips like "Watch out for spiders!"

I award this game Game of the Year 2013.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There are definitely no shortage of issues and they would have been better off releasing it as early access.

Marsal

Arcane
Here are my impressions after about an hour of play. There will likely be no further impressions (barring Skyway fully endorsing the game and abandoning ARMA to play it seven times).

I didn't encounter any bugs, other than falling in water and dying (not sure if bug).

If you've never heard of the game, I'd describe it like an open world, single character mix of NWN2 and Kingdoms of Banalur.

CHARACTER SYSTEM

Three races: Human, elf and an "original" race. Didn't read the fluff. Minor stat differences. Major trade guild reputation differences, though (I think this only affects the prices, not the quests, could be wrong). 5 stats. Higher stat investments cost more points. No skills, feats, traits...Very D&D like, but very, very simplified.

There are dwarfs in the game! You can't be a dwarf! Disgraceful! Release the Volourn!

You can adjust individual elements of game difficulty (max level, re-spawn rate, regeneration rate...).

Skills are divided into weapons, creatures(?), resistances, mana regeneration, crafting and harvesting (I think). Here is the most interesting part of the game, IMO. You can specialize (skill up) in killing different types of enemies. Spells also deal/resist damage from different type of enemies. You can, for example, have a generic 5-15 damage spell, or you can have 15-45 damage to undead spell. I'm guessing there are specialized weapons too. This could have interesting implications for exploration. There is also a huge potential for metagaming (if enemies are not randomized and/or mixed).

PRESENTATION

Art style is generic. Graphics are poor at best, although that's not a big deal. What is a big deal is a stuttery mess of an engine the game is using. It "streams" content, but most of the time shit just pops up of nowhere. SSD is recommended, but come on. We've had similar engines used in far better looking games with not much issue. Don't tell me you can't stream shit properly in an pseudo ISO game, where you look at the ground and don't even see the horizon. I'm guessing this is the reason for the zoom level being what it is.

The world is "contiguous", like in Gothic games, no loading screens at all (that I've seen).

Night and day cycle. It influences quests and monster behavior (supposedly). No weather effects, AFAIK. No way to pass the time that I've seen, but time flows rather quickly.

Music is fine, I guess. Sounds are also fine. There is quite a lot of voice acting in the game, judging from the first town. Your character is silent in dialogues. The quality is not great, not horrible either. I've found it not really contributing much to the game overall. A waste of money. However, your character's comments (voiced) when encountering a location or a "situation" for the first time are a pretty nifty touch and add to the atmosphere quite a lot.

CONTROLS AND CAMERA

The camera, movement and world interaction are truly a work of art. There is something beautiful in the way they managed to completely fuck it up. It's not just one thing that's bad, it's all of it. They did not get a single aspect of character control right. From the right click to rotate the camera AND interact with environment, to the "vast" amount of zoom options, they have composed a symphony of shit. It's hard to even describe the true magnitude of failure. It's like they played NWN2 and decided to show those hacks at Obsidian how to properly fuck things up.

You can't even blame it on the lack of funds or inexperience. How can you fuck the most elementary of things? All you do in a game like this is walk around and occasionally interact with stuff. It's literally THE FIRST thing you should work on and get right when making the game. Keep in mind I've played and completed GoT, NWN2 and both expansions. I've seen things...

I almost forgot the fetish for spinning camera. Who the fuck though it would be a good idea to rotate the camera every time you speak to someone?! I don't even...

STORY

Story seemed like generic garbage from the intro movie. Then I realized there are 3 trading guilds and you have a different starting reputation with each, depending on the race you choose for your character. Ok, might be interesting. Or not. It looks like "evil" North Trade Guild is oppressing Independent(?) Traders Guild and trying to control the kingdom through devious means. There may be more to it, but it doesn't look promising. The third guild is elves. Fuck elves.

Quests are BSB, but I've only played for an hour. I can't really tell if it gets better.

GAMEPLAY

Combat is click-click-click, although slower paced and you can use some tactics and positioning. It's not a Diablo clone, but it's not much better. It's not the worst combat ever in concept, but it's just so poorly executed... I can't see it getting better on higher levels.

Health and mana regenerate. I'd say you need less than a minute to regenerate from 0 to full. It's not CoD fast, but not slow either.

Inventory is quite large. 1 item, 1 inventory slot. There are 28 slots x 8 tabs (I think). You'd think that would be plenty. However, items don't stack and there is a shitload of crafting components, consumables, equitable items, spell runes, lockpicking runes... I managed to fill 5 tabs in an hour and I sold a bunch of weapons and armor I wasn't going to use.

Weapons, armor and other equipable items are not Diablo-like, with randomized stats. They are similar to D&D items.

Consumables have no description. You do get a description and duration of the effect on your character after you use it.

Here's the best part of item system! Encumbrance is tied to your strength stat! The more you carry, slower you move. Crafting components have weight. Armor and weapons have weight. There is a shitload of items to find in the world... This won't get tedious at all!

There are a lot of merchants in the world. It seems like more than half of the people in the first town are selling something.

Here's something cool and original (not really). You pick locks by combining runes! Awesome! Each lock is represented by a matrix of different runes and two are lit (very brightly lit, making it almost impossible to tell what symbol they represent). To unlock it, you must connect the two lit runes by matching them and the runes between them with the runes you collect by exploring the world. There are 3 colors of runes, one for each god (and possibly one more set, not sure). There are 8(ish) rune symbols. Each lock is owned by(?)/dedicated to(?) a specific god and you can only use runes of its color on the lock. Crates, coffins, even urns are locked with these "rune locks".
There are also keys. Lots of different non-stacking keys. I'm not sure what they are for, although I did use a key to unlock a door. I'm not sure if keys can be used to unlock any (matching) door or you must have a specific key for some doors.

Creating spells sounds cool, but it's not really that great. It's not like in PoE or Morrowind. You collect spell runes and combine up to 6 to make a spell. It can be a buff, ward or a missile. Faith (mana) usage goes up for each rune used (I think it's close to straight up linear increase, but I'm not 100% sure). And that's it. Instead of casting 6 spells, you cast one big spell (if you have enough mana).

As for crafting, you collect shit and make different shit from collected shit. You need to invest into crafting skills to make better shit. You have the list (quite a long one) of all the things you can make. There are harvesting skills. There are plants that can be harvested only at certain parts of the day.

I've skimmed through the manual (you can download it on Steam) and there are temples and sacrifices for favors to gods (I think items only), housing and a bunch of other shit in the game. There is (presumably) a huge world without level scaling to explore.

Bestiary with descriptions that get more detailed the more creatures of the same type you kill. Interesting.

TL;DR

Even should the basic controls be fixed, I don't think the world and the story would be engaging enough, the character development interesting enough, nor the combat fun enough to spend more time with the game. Keep in mind that this is an "extrapolation" based on skimming through the manual and playing the game for about an hour.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Added this to my backlog. On the bottom of it, to be precise. Looks like I could waste some time on this, but why would I do that if there so many better games available?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Here are my impressions after about an hour of play. There will likely be no further impressions (barring Skyway fully endorsing the game and abandoning ARMA to play it seven times).
I didn't encounter any bugs, other than falling in water and dying (not sure if bug).

If you've never heard of the game, I'd describe it like an open world, single character mix of NWN2 and Kingdoms of Banalur.

CHARACTER SYSTEM

Three races: Human, elf and an "original" race. Didn't read the fluff. Minor stat differences. Major trade guild reputation differences, though (I think this only affects the prices, not the quests, could be wrong). 5 stats. Higher stat investments cost more points. No skills, feats, traits...Very D&D like, but very, very simplified.

There are dwarfs in the game! You can't be a dwarf! Disgraceful! Release the Volourn!

You can adjust individual elements of game difficulty (max level, re-spawn rate, regeneration rate...).

Skills are divided into weapons, creatures(?), resistances, mana regeneration, crafting and harvesting (I think). Here is the most interesting part of the game, IMO. You can specialize (skill up) in killing different types of enemies. Spells also deal/resist damage from different type of enemies. You can, for example, have a generic 5-15 damage spell, or you can have 15-45 damage to undead spell. I'm guessing there are specialized weapons too. This could have interesting implications for exploration. There is also a huge potential for metagaming (if enemies are not randomized and/or mixed).

PRESENTATION

Art style is generic. Graphics are poor at best, although that's not a big deal. What is a big deal is a stuttery mess of an engine the game is using. It "streams" content, but most of the time shit just pops up of nowhere. SSD is recommended, but come on. We've had similar engines used in far better looking games with not much issue. Don't tell me you can't stream shit properly in an pseudo ISO game, where you look at the ground and don't even see the horizon. I'm guessing this is the reason for the zoom level being what it is.

The world is "contiguous", like in Gothic games, no loading screens at all (that I've seen).

Night and day cycle. It influences quests and monster behavior (supposedly). No weather effects, AFAIK. No way to pass the time that I've seen, but time flows rather quickly.

Music is fine, I guess. Sounds are also fine. There is quite a lot of voice acting in the game, judging from the first town. Your character is silent in dialogues. The quality is not great, not horrible either. I've found it not really contributing much to the game overall. A waste of money. However, your character's comments (voiced) when encountering a location or a "situation" for the first time are a pretty nifty touch and add to the atmosphere quite a lot.

CONTROLS AND CAMERA

The camera, movement and world interaction are truly a work of art. There is something beautiful in the way they managed to completely fuck it up. It's not just one thing that's bad, it's all of it. They did not get a single aspect of character control right. From the right click to rotate the camera AND interact with environment, to the "vast" amount of zoom options, they have composed a symphony of shit. It's hard to even describe the true magnitude of failure. It's like they played NWN2 and decided to show those hacks at Obsidian how to properly fuck things up.

You can't even blame it on the lack of funds or inexperience. How can you fuck the most elementary of things? All you do in a game like this is walk around and occasionally interact with stuff. It's literally THE FIRST thing you should work on and get right when making the game. Keep in mind I've played and completed GoT, NWN2 and both expansions. I've seen things...

I almost forgot the fetish for spinning camera. Who the fuck though it would be a good idea to rotate the camera every time you speak to someone?! I don't even...

STORY

Story seemed like generic garbage from the intro movie. Then I realized there are 3 trading guilds and you have a different starting reputation with each, depending on the race you choose for your character. Ok, might be interesting. Or not. It looks like "evil" North Trade Guild is oppressing Independent(?) Traders Guild and trying to control the kingdom through devious means. There may be more to it, but it doesn't look promising. The third guild is elves. Fuck elves.

Quests are BSB, but I've only played for an hour. I can't really tell if it gets better.

GAMEPLAY

Combat is click-click-click, although slower paced and you can use some tactics and positioning. It's not a Diablo clone, but it's not much better. It's not the worst combat ever in concept, but it's just so poorly executed... I can't see it getting better on higher levels.

Health and mana regenerate. I'd say you need less than a minute to regenerate from 0 to full. It's not CoD fast, but not slow either.

Inventory is quite large. 1 item, 1 inventory slot. There are 28 slots x 8 tabs (I think). You'd think that would be plenty. However, items don't stack and there is a shitload of crafting components, consumables, equitable items, spell runes, lockpicking runes... I managed to fill 5 tabs in an hour and I sold a bunch of weapons and armor I wasn't going to use.

Weapons, armor and other equitable items are not Diablo-like, with randomized stats. They are similar to D&D items.

Consumables have no description. You do get a description and duration of the effect on your character after you use it.

Here's the best part of item system! Encumbrance is tied to your strength stat! The more you carry, slower you move. Crafting components have weight. Armor and weapons have weight. There is a shitload of items to find in the world... This won't get tedious at all!

There are a lot of merchants in the world. It seems like more than half of the people in the first town are selling something.

Here's something cool and original (not really). You pick locks by combining runes! Awesome! Each lock is represented by a matrix of different runes and two are lit (very brightly lit, making it almost impossible to tell what symbol they represent). To unlock it, you must connect the two lit runes by matching them and the runes between them with the runes you collect by exploring the world. There are 3 colors of runes, one for each god (and possibly one more set, not sure). There are 8(ish) rune symbols. Each lock is owned by(?)/dedicated to(?) a specific god and you can only use runes of its color on the lock. Crates, coffins, even urns are locked with these "rune locks".
There are also keys. Lots of different non-stacking keys. I'm not sure what they are for, although I did use a key to unlock a door. I'm not sure if keys can be used to unlock any (matching) door or you must have a specific key for some doors.

Creating spells sounds cool, but it's not really that great. It's not like in PoE or Morrowind. You collect spell runes and combine up to 6 to make a spell. It can be a buff, ward or a missile. Faith (mana) usage goes up for each rune used (I think it's close to straight up linear increase, but I'm not 100% sure). And that's it. Instead of casting 6 spells, you cast one big spell (if you have enough mana).

As for crafting, you collect shit and make different shit from collected shit. You need to invest into crafting skills to make better shit. You have the list (quite a long one) of all the things you can make. There are harvesting skills. There are plants that can be harvested only at certain parts of the day.

I've skimmed through the manual (you can download it on Steam) and there are temples and sacrifices for favors to gods (I think items only), housing and a bunch of other shit in the game. There is (presumably) a huge world without level scaling to explore.

Bestiary with descriptions that get more detailed the more creatures of the same type you kill. Interesting.

TL;DR

Even should the basic controls be fixed, I don't think the world and the story would be engaging enough, the character development interesting enough, nor the combat fun enough to spend more time with the game. Keep in mind that this is an "interpolation" based on skimming through the manual and playing the game for about an hour.

Seems to stumble on same flaws as so many other indie/small developer games, probably either they're not just good enough or not enough time/money to polish and fine tune the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom